DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Thanks guys. Truer words were never spoken, Joe! Let's just hope my editor feels the same way I do about this manuscript.

Graduated from plain old champagne to a D'Artagnan to a champagne cocktail with cognac and Fees Old-Fashioned Aromatic Bitters to a half n' half Sazerac.

Now sipping on a Marteau. Nightcap? Nah.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from North Coast Brewing Co...on tap btw at the iintimitable "Whip In" in Austin.

Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

& since its Friday and I ain't got :censor1: to do I'm thinking about finishing the night with my own snake-oil absinthe, basically Kübler that I have colored myself (using the historical manuals available on this wonderful site) and added additional wormwood via a liquid herbal extract. Not to be confused with the aromatherapy essential oil of artemisia absinthium that I have heard some troglodytes have ingested so that they could experience renal failure and "trip balz".

Happy Friday Chernobyl Society! :cheers:

Can't go wrong with Old Rasputin. Have you tried Old Rasputin XII? It's their barrel aged anniversary beer, the only problem with it is that it's $20 for a 750ml bottle.

Heavy, roasty, sweet and rich but with plenty of hop backbone. Nice touch with the coffee, well balanced with the dark malts.

:dribble: That...sounds...incredible! Exactly what I look for in a dark beer. All that and coffee too? I wonder if I can get that in this state. Pennsyltucky, I mean...not the "state" I'm in. ;)

I should be able to pick you up a bottle tomorrow (no promises, but i've seen it time after time at a certain beer shop). Want me to snag you one? If not espresso, they should have the chocolate.

Heavy, roasty, sweet and rich but with plenty of hop backbone. Nice touch with the coffee, well balanced with the dark malts.

:dribble: That...sounds...incredible! Exactly what I look for in a dark beer. All that and coffee too? I wonder if I can get that in this state. Pennsyltucky, I mean...not the "state" I'm in. ;)

Try some Founders Breakfast Stout that's out now. Checked site where I travel to and they don't have the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, but I did pick up the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti there the other day.

Founders Breakfast Stout is definitely one of the best examples of this style. I have both the Espresso and Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti (though I'd rather just have the barrel aged Yeti!), but I'm sittin on em for a while.

Agreed on the Founders Breakfast Stout! :thumbup:

Can't go wrong with Old Rasputin.

It's certainly reasonably price for what it is, but I think it's become a little over-hopped, and roasty in an almost acrid and metallic kind of way in the last decade. I remember loving the stuff in the mid 90s when it had more of a rummy/whiskeyish flavor profile.

Agreed on the Founders Breakfast Stout! :thumbup:

Can't go wrong with Old Rasputin.

It's certainly reasonably price for what it is, but I think it's become a little over-hopped, and roasty in an almost acrid and metallic kind of way in the last decade. I remember loving the stuff in the mid 90s when it had more of a rummy/whiskeyish flavor profile.

The mid 90's??? Well, I can't say much regarding Old Raspy on the mid 90's cause well, I've only been able to legally drink for 2 years haha.

If you're looking for bourboney flavors, the XII is available still on a lot of areas but pretty pricey at around $20 per bottle.

Back to the subject of Imperial Stouts, just remembered I have a few bottles of Peche Mortel, so what the hell. Got it sitting here in my snifter right now. :wave2:

A cold glass of champagne.

I'm celebrating the completion of a book project that I've been working on for the last five years of my life. Five years. 300 pages. Sitting on the table in front of me in a stack of neatly typed pages.

Goddamn, life is good. :cheers:

AiO, as a writer myself I want to give you a hearty handshake and "Well done!" :cheers:

I'm celebrating the completion of a book project that I've been working on for the last five years of my life. Five years. 300 pages. Sitting on the table in front of me in a stack of neatly typed pages.

:cheers:

On to a glass of Doubs Mystique now.

Ben, you remind me that I need to go get some of the Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I don't know about tonight but for lunch at Pizzeria Paradiso I had this to drink. It was quite yummy. Cherries, licorice and vanilla were the obvious three that I could recognize but it was complex and well, just damn good. Christmas-like.

I've heard of them but living in Oklahoma it's tough to find them. *smileywinkemoticon*

Tonight I'm sipping bloody Mary's while grilling fish, hot links and bratwursts. I think it's illegal to grill without a drink in your hand.

To Saturday evening and fall like weather, Cheers!

It's good to hear there's a tasty Nosferatu out there.

There used to be an ale of the same name out of Leavenworth, Wa. that was as ugly as Max Schreck. :laugh:

Vintage piołunówka. Nutmeg, allspice, clove, cinnamon with well balanced AA. Other subtle flavors but those are predominant. I can see why this was the classic style of this beverage.

:cheers:

Really old Hercules DIPA.

Lots of suspended particulates by the time I reached the second half of the bottle, but the hops are still very aggressive, and there's good and craggy head retention with lots of the trademark nutty maltiness.

Alaskan Baltic Porter again...I'm still very fond of this one.

Had some Perique earlier and now just sipping some Raspberry mead. The mead needs more quiet time.

Not sure what's to follow but I may find something.

The mead is about the color of watermelon Jolly Rancher candy. It looked ripe. Cheers!

Friday night was Jade NO and The Bomb, with my Bro, sister-in-law and my special lady. The ladies enjoyed a local wine.

Saturday night I enjoyed a pleasantly aged HG blanche, and another glass of The Bomb. There was a little green Chartreuse I tasted while my Bro wasn't looking.

It was a good but difficult weekend.

Some Moose Drool- the drool is pretty good, but collecting it from the moose was another matter- and a delicious rum Old Fashioned with Grand Reserve Barbados rum. Gonna have another to polish off the bottle.

Indeed it is, M.A. :cheers:

May I beg you to venture on over to the Newcomers section and introduce yourself? We'd like to welcome you to the forum and then allow Absomphe and Baubel to derail the thread. ;)