DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Today I am drinking glass after glass of a nice sparkling alkaseltzer cold medicine. I have managed to catch the dreaded head cold on top of spring allergies thing. Ugg! The seltzer is a blanche with a hint of cherry. The bubbles tickle my nose.

Last night Pensieve got me a new Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavour called Black and Tan. Cream stout flavoured ice cream over chocolate. I think it was good.

The Black and Tan sounds so good that it's bound to be discontinued by year's end.

Feel better soon!

Last night Pensieve got me a new Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavour called Black and Tan.  Cream stout flavoured ice cream over chocolate.  I think it was good.

Grrr. I still cannot find that anywhere around here.

It's been pulled an no longer available for sale as the name was deemed politically incorrect.

Something to do with the British and Northern Ireland.

But since we don't do politics here, no more need be said.

It's been pulled an no longer available for sale as the name was deemed politically incorrect.

Something to do with the British and Northern Ireland.

But since we don't do politics here, no more need be said.

No, it hasn't been pulled. According to the Ben and Jerry's website, it's still available for sale, and the site even pointed me at a shop near me that carries it. I will be picking some up after work.

They did issue an apology for the name, after receiving a flurry of objections, predominantly from Irish-Americans. The "Black and Tans" were a group of paramilitary thugs sent to Ireland by the British military during the Troubles, named after their uniforms, who quickly aquired a reputation for brutality and atrocity.

However, usage of the name "Black and Tan" in Ireland predates that by quite a bit; and originally referred to a drink consisting of half Bass ale and half Guinness stout. It was also used to refer to a sub-breed of Beagles, common hunting dogs at the time. Objection to the name seems to be stronger among Irish-Americans than it is among the Irish themselves.

In the past I've had people ask me to remove the recipe for the "Black and Tan" drink from my website.

I probably will, but not because of the politics, just that it no longer fits within the drink category that I'm trying to promote on my website.

Two lovely absinthes this AM, followed by WAAAAY too many Newcastles in the can, accented by my usual shitty-ass golf score at our annual golf outing.

I need a BC.

The tartness mostly took me by surprise. My experience with Belgian beers is that they've tended to be fairly hoppy. At the very least, they have a familiar beer taste. This has an almost fruity quality to it that took me aback at first. Not bad, all in all.

The difference between sweet brown and fruit beer.

I like it, but they do get much more sour.

Jack made a Peche that will make you pucker for a week.

I have read about Jack's sour beers somewhere.

I've moved on to a glass of the Ike. I'm not sure whether it's the little bit of age on it or if I'm just used to the flavor now, but the Ike has grown on me.

Try a Rodenbach or a Grand Cru.

Agreed.

Or a Hansesen's Oud Gueuze, which is even tarter.

I think it depends on the batch; because I recently went though a bottle each of both the Duchesse and the Hanssen's in the same night; and the Duchesse was definitely the more sour. Not by a lot, I'll grant you; but noticibly.

I think it depends on the batch; because I recently went though a bottle each of both the Duchesse and the Hanssen's in the same night; and the Duchesse was definitely the more sour.  Not by a lot, I'll grant you; but noticibly.

The Hanssen's I've been drinking for the last few years is from 2000, and is incredidibly tart, fruity, and rhubarby. I wouldn't be surprised if the newer stuff is somewhat toned down, since that seems to be tyhe general trend in Belgian ales, from the Rodenbach (since it was acquired by Palm), to the Liefman's line.

I love the Duchesse (especially on tap), but if it's more tart than the Hanssen's, I won't be purchasing any more of the Oud Gueuze anytime soon.

I have become rather fond of the FG as an almost daily refreshment. Straightforward, no pretense, just a good, basic absinthe. :cheers:

I place the blame for my habit all on Zman and Hiram.

Well let's see where do I start? First the flying monkeys were superman fast this week. I ordered on Monday and received my little gift today Thursday, I love those guys! That is without a doubt the fastest delivery in about four years. Tonight I am trying for the first time the Jade Edouard. Wow was I disappointed! I was so looking forward to a way above par absinthe and that unfortunately is not my impression. Ok it's good but not much better than a good Spanish absinthe. To quote Hiram "more robust herbal quality and a bit of a spicy note, with the wormwood more in evidence." HELLO, what do you think a good number of spanish absinthe taste like? They are 1/2 the price and usually without the overwhelming alcohol hit to the senses. Here is another Hiram quote "In my opinion the best of the Jades so far." If that is the best Jade so far and at those prices I have no desire to try any of the others. Ok let's move on to another, the Verte de Fougerolles 72. All looks good until you taste it. Let me quote Hiram again on this one. " Verte de Fougerolles is a pleasantly different style of absinthe from most on the market" Pleasantly? Maybe if you like something that tastes like sweaty socks! Would I recommend or order either of these again, no. I know to each his own but come on man, is someone getting big discounts on their orders from LDF?. Well so goes the wonderful world of absinthe, you spend your money and you takes your chances. I know I'm gonna get shite for this post but again, to each his own.

There is, indeed, no accounting for taste.

what do you think a good number of spanish absinthe taste like?

Crap.

They certainly taste nothing like any Jade. Which absinthes have you had prior to this?

A glass of a blueberry mead that I racked and bottled today. Not bad. The rest is set aside for aging, which I think will make a big difference.

Hiram- More than I care to count. Let's just say at least 20 Spanish brands alone to make that comparison. Like I said to each his own, so Hiram your right, there is no accounting for taste.