DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Absinthe in Paris:

I just got back from Paris as well. I didn't drink any vintage Pernod from the balcony of my hotel unfortunately, but it was an incredible time regardless. It was great to visit Vert d'Absinthe (twice) and meet Heure Verte. Actually, he mentioned to me that a lot of people from the forums had been in lately, hissykitties coming in about a day or so after my first visit. I was finally able to pick up my first bottle of Nouvelle-Orléans. I probably should have picked up a bottle of Blanchette as well...

Oh. What am I drinking right now? Black coffee. I've come back home to massive stress at work.

I paid a visit to that nice little shop as well, but unfortunately I didn't meet Luc as he was out and wasn't to return until the day we left for Bayeux.

Funny thing too... we had walked there all the way from the area of the Louvre, and the tiny shop had been quiet all day of course until the minute we showed up. It was hard to get around and have a good look, and one of the people who followed us in seemed to be buying out the contents of the store.

I also made it out to Cantada II, where the fountain they serve from looked more like a bong or some sort of science apparatus. The water wasn't cold (no ice was used) and the bar man liked to serve the absinthe 1:1, but other than that...

Glad you had a good time. Fortunately for me, I don't have to think about work until Monday. :harhar:

Sipping some Vino Naranja. It's a strong (about 15 pct. ABV), very sweet spanish wine, fermented with orange peel (!).

Anything that gets near it turns sweet and sticky. But it is some yummy stuff.

Durian tincture?  That had to smell just great.

I'm using a Durian "paste" that I acquired, and diluted it with vodka to make it easier to integrate into a drink. It definately has an interesting and intriguing aroma. I've never smelled fresh Durian (some folks say that I'm lucky), so I don't know how that part compares.

0382-1.gif

One of these days we need to sit down and talk about just bitters.

In this batch of bitters I was attempting to create something as "easy as possible" for bartenders to make themselves, and I'm wanting to call it "Seattle Bitters", and so I wanted to select ingredients that could tie back to Seattle easily.

1 cup gin

4 teabags "Market Spice" tea

2 Tbs gentian

Macerate for 2 weeks

Strain, then add:

1/5 cup Starbucks liqueur

Unfortunately the flavor bloom was nowhere near enough, and the earthy coffee notes toned down the brightness. So it's back to the drawing board.

I've never smelled fresh Durian (some folks say that I'm lucky),

It has the same intriguing aroma as the paste. It's not that it smells badly, but people dislike it because the smell tends to linger for ages.

I can understand where that's coming from (it's quite a pungent smell), but the aroma can't really be said to be the same.

Have had a big glass of NO and then a few glasses of Eichelberger tonight, while watching Shaun of the Dead (that was a fun one) and eating dill & chive potato chips (a great Swedish classic from OLW). And There Was Much Rejoicing.

Leaving for Zürich tomorrow, will be there for a couple of days for work. On the schedule is also a visit to a nuclear power plant, another visit to a water analysis instruments factory (what a sentence!) and then some strolling around in a to me unknown part of the Alps. Guess that will be most delightful.

I'll keep my eyes open for any clandestine artisans that might be hiding there in some alp hut... :)

Prototype #27. I'll do my best to let it age but it needs to hurry. ;)

Whew, what a grand day.

:cheers:

By the way, the new fountain works very well.

Thank you Hiram for the tip.

Kastelanski Mead, from Poland. Probably my favorite mead.

A friend has recommended a couple of Georgian wines, particularly Kindzmarauli, so that's on my list of things to try soon.

Before the chldren's show, Schoolhouse Rock: Duplais and Elixir du Pays des Fées. Maggie is very entertaining with two Duplais under her belt before 2:00 in the afternoon. I should add, children's theatre is much better, too.

Post show is a very tasty CLB. I may soon start humming "Conjunction Junction."

:cheers:

Have had a big glass of NO and then a few glasses of Eichelberger tonight, while watching Shaun of the Dead (that was a fun one) and eating dill & chive potato chips (a great Swedish classic from OLW). And There Was Much Rejoicing.

Leaving for Zürich tomorrow, will be there for a couple of days for work. On the schedule is also a visit to a nuclear power plant, another visit to a water analysis instruments factory (what a sentence!) and then some strolling around in a to me unknown part of the Alps. Guess that will be most delightful.

I'll keep my eyes open for any clandestine artisans that might be hiding there in some alp hut... :)

Crap, hope he checks the forums while he is away.

Also try the Springli chocolate. The factory tour is closed due to renovations but they still have a very nice store in the middle of town.

Holy crap. Someone coined the term "schwagsinthe" on here and I have to tell you this Libertine 68 I picked up fits the term exactly. I was trying to figure out what the foul taste I was, well, tasting was, and it's just like burning up an L of stems and seeds from some crappy greens. I haven't smoked in years, but I remember that nasty taste, like swamp water, skunked beer, and mildew. Ga it's horrifying. Someone tell me how to alleviate my horrified taste buds. I do have the Clandestine, but I'm saving it, saving it for when my mouth has recuperated.

Mind you I'm drinking it sans sugar. I've found I love the absinthe without the zucchero. This however is destroying me....

I do have the Zappa videos to console me.

Thank you Mr. Zappa. Thank you.

-j.

Lemon juice??? Explain if you would be so kind.

I feel like such a sissy. I've drank rotgut moonshine in the hills of Tennessee, but even that liver burner didn't make my face screw up like this does.

-j.

WPLJ

(R. Dobard/L. McDaniels)

I say WPLJ, really taste good to me

WPLJ, won't you take a drink with me

Well, it's a good good wine

It really make you feel so fine

(So fine, so fine, so fine)

I went to the store when they opened up the door

I said: "Please please please gimme some more"

White Port & Lemon Juice,

Ooh what it do to you!

You take the bottle, you take the can

Shake it up fine, you get a good good wine.

(Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah . . . )

Ooh what it do to you!

The W is the White,

The P is the Port,

The L is the Lemon,

The J is the Juice

Ooh what it do to you!

Well I feel so good, I feel so fine

I got plenty lovin', I got plenty wine

I said White Port & Lemon Juice,

Ooh what it do to you!

(from the Mothers of Invention album, Burnt Weeny Sandwich)

Had a Pontarlier.

Good. but not my speed.

Then had a blanche,

Not perfect, but smashing.

Besançon is THE ONE.

Holy crap.  Someone coined the term "schwagsinthe" on here and I have to tell you this Libertine 68 I picked up fits the term exactly....I feel like such a sissy.......
You're not a sissy. Anyone can sustain a head injury, and how else to explain your purchase? Feel better soon, and keep suckin' on them lemons!

Besançon is THE ONE.
Apparently. And before I slam into that fifty-foot, green, boldface font again, could someone please tell me what Besançon is?

A recipe for a verte absinthe.

I am not aware of any commercial products that are made with this recipe.

It is a wormwood heavy recipe,

therefore only high quality AA must be used.

When it is, Besançon is THE ONE.