DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Lemoncello and then Gin and tonic. Nice and refreshing. *smile*

I'm saving what little absinthe I have for Ron, if he's able to make it.

I'm here! I'm here! And I can bring bottles!

Are you two having a meeting of the absinthe minds? LUCKY! (said in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice).

It's been one glass of Meadow Of Love for me tonight. I think I'm going to change up with a rum and coke. I bought a bottle of the Cruzan Black Strap at someone's suggestion here on the forum, and it's definitely unique, but it has more a stronger molasses/maple flavor than I'd normally care for. I might go back to the Admiral Nelson's vanilla flavor for tonight.

I had the same reaction to the Cruzan Black Strap, just too rich and heavy to be useful to me. I did recently run across a cocktail recipe that used it and it was actually pretty good, now I'll have to remember where/what it was. I think maybe it was one of DrinkBoy's small screen network cocktails.

Ah, yes, found it -- the Jolly Roger . Best use I've found for the Black Strap.

Thanks for that recipe, Brian -- I've got plenty left to experiment with, and this does sound tasty! Cutting the Black Strap with a white rum sounds like a good idea, too.

Man, Mr. Hess sure likes a lot of ice in his drinks. (Which is fine -- I do, too).

Yeah, I think of the Cruzan Black Strap as an accent more than a primary ingredient. I've used it almost exclusively for floats on top of tiki drinks, where the recipe usually calls for a float of 151 proof rum, which is also rare as a primary ingredient. The Black Strap isn't as strong, obviously, but it adds a lot more flavor. But you use only a small amount, and it takes its time drifting down through the drink, finally collecting on the bottom as your drink is becoming so diluted that its strong flavor is mellowed but still gives some life to the dregs of your drink.

My sleep pattern? When I'm not working, I go to bed at sunrise. When I am working, I go to bed later, usually around 8 or 9 a.m. since my shifts end at 7. The sun hurts my eyes and gives me headaches.

I take responsibility for the Cruzan recommendation. It does require some adjustment and consideration when mixing-- it's not a drag-and-drop replacement for many rum drink recipes.

I drink it neat when I have a craving for something heavy/oily and smoky, the craving that others satisfy with scotch (I'm not much for whiskey). When I want something dark and sweet, I mix Black Strap with Coke Zero. But it just is heavy, sweet, smoky, dark, carmelized... so you'll get the most out of it if you use it for those things rather than trying to use it as a "1 part rum" replacement.

Hmm, actually, it might work better in whiskey drinks than in rum drinks. That calls for my second favorite kind of experimentation.

Aventinus wheat-doppelbock. 'Twas a gift from a fellow imbiber on Memorial Day, thought it was time to break it open on this full moon.

Blanches, nothing but blanches tonight I guess. And none of the good ones. One has too much louche, the other not enough. Together they have a funk.

I should go back go HG blanches. I like them more.

Went to cocktaildb.com looking for something new to try, settled on the Destiny cocktail. I love pastis, however this is too much of a good thing. But the flavors play very nicely together, might try it again but with much less pastis next time.

Maybe it was the pastis itself. Got any others on hand?

It sounds like an interesting beverage though. If I had any sweet vermouth I'd give it a shot.

I had a blanche earlier. Maybe I'll experiment with something here in a little bit.

It's HB pastis, and I only have the 1 bottle right now. Aviation gin and Cinzano sweet.

As it's warming up the vermouth is coming through a bit more and it seems better balanced, but still pastis heavy. 1/2-ish oz. next time, I think that might be close.

Sounds tasty, BK. I had a sample of the Aviation Gin on the House Spirits Distillery tour a couple weekends back. Having only had a couple of gins prior to that (and not liking them at all), I was surprised to find that I liked this. I nearly passed out on the floor when my girlfriend said she liked it, too (she doesn't care for most spirits until they become liqueurs).

As for me, it's just been rum & coke again. I've had a taste for it yesterday and today, for some reason.

Jay, I spent a lot of years as a "brown liquor" guy, no interest in gin at all, despite (or perhaps because of) attempts to enlighten me with way-too-dry Bombay Sapphire martinis.

Hanging out here, I've found all kinds of ways to enjoy gin. Bijou and Last Word cocktails are a couple of favorites. The Garden Party (at the bottom of this page) is a must-try. And while I'm still not a big martini fan, a Perfect Martini, with 1/2 dry and 1/2 sweet vermouth (at about 3:1 gin:vermouth, dash of orange bitters and lemon twist, hold the olive please) is a huge improvement over the ultra-dry "glass of cold gin" style.

I've been enjoying Hendrick's, Plymouth, Bluecoat, and Leopold's, along with the Aviation. I've only recently had a chance to try the Bluecoat at a friend's house, but when my current bottle of Aviation goes empty, the Bluecoat is next.

:wave2:

Some CLB from Brooklyn, smoking a Macanudo Ascot on a hot summer night, looking forward to some Vieux Pontarlier whenever it arrives. It's getting better, I hope.

:cheers:

Hey Guillaume! How ya doin'? :wave2:

I've been enjoying Hendrick's, Plymouth, Bluecoat, and Leopold's, along with the Aviation. I've only recently had a chance to try the Bluecoat at a friend's house, but when my current bottle of Aviation goes empty, the Bluecoat is next.

Add Voyager and Barcelona to that list of gins to try. :cheers:

Last night, I enjoyed sipping on one small taste of the Perique and one small tasting of the Royal Combier. The Combier, I might add, tastes quite nice, particularly when letting it breathe for a spell. I love orange!

The Royal combier is tasty stuff.

I just sipped one (1) gin and tonic last night.

<shakes head>

<--------- such a lightweight. *smile*