DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Being that we were just sent $1000 worth of Obsello and Port of Barcelona Gin ... well, I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.

I'd like to meet your friends.

Being that we were just sent $1000 worth of Obsello and Port of Barcelona Gin ... well, I'm sure you can figure it out for yourself.

I'd like to meet your friends.

IMG_3689.jpg

:wave2:

:pirate:

I'm at a loss to explain the Pacifique. Mine louches beautifully and is magically delicious. My bottle was one of the first to hit stores in the NW, though. Seems like I've heard rumors of a recent "bad batch." Anyone have the lowdown?

Figures, my luck. Finally got some Edouard as well, and it's the Mars 2008 "bad batch". Not opened yet, but no longer a highly anticipated event.

Tonight's my "wine club" night so we'll be drinking a lot of the red. Taking Obsello with me to introduce absinthe to my friend's anise-loving wife. She's extremely non-fussy so I'm thinking of doing it as a Larspeart Frappé instead of traditional. What'ch'all think? Note: I can't find peychaud's locally so can I fake it with angustura this once?

Well, I didn't see this until today, so sorry for the late advice. This is what I would have said, had I been on time:

If she's never had absinthe before, I think you should definitely demonstrate the louche. If you're worried about the logistics of a good louching setup, you could just pick up one of those plastic bottles of spring water (Evian, ect) with the sports-type nozzle, stick it in the freezer 15 minutes or so to get it nice and cold.

If you really want to, I'm sure Obsello would be nice in a Larspeart Frappe, but I personally WOULD NOT try to substitute Ango for Peycaud's. The two bitters are quite different IMO.

Figures, my luck. Finally got some Edouard as well, and it's the Mars 2008 "bad batch". Not opened yet, but no longer a highly anticipated event.

I also have a bottle of Edouard from the Mars 2008 batch. The only thing wrong with it is the color, which is straw yellow rather than the beautiful deep green it used to be. Still tastes damn good, though. And my understanding is that the color had been on the decline for some time before this particular batch was released. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Ted shut down production of the Jades temporarily (or stopped sending bottles to distributors--whichever): to address these issues.

Don't be afraid of opening that Eddy; I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

Ah, finally the absinthes i ordered arrived! It's been months since I last had anything other than Kübler so can't wait to try out something better. The absinthes I ordered are Vieux Pontarlier Émile Pernot 65 and La Clandestine, both for the first time. So. this evening will be all about absinthe tasting and playing Talisman with couple of friends.

Oh, and about Talisman... One of the best game ever. I really recommend it if anyone here is into board games. :)

I personally WOULD NOT try to substitute Ango for Peycaud's. The two bitters are quite different IMO.

Seconded.

Angostura and Peychaud's aren't competing brands making the same product, they're totally different spices. The Peychauds, with its anise and cherry notes, goes great with absinthe in a frappé, or in cocktails like the Sazerac that are flavored with absinthe. Throwing in the Christmas-y spices of Angostura will only confuse the taste buds.

I've been wanting to get into some of my wine as of late, but I started with absinthe today & I'll pro'lly finish wid it. :cheers:

shangfu about the board games, I have on occasion played Warhammer, which is loosely related to Talisman somehow. Even though it was the most appealing reason I looked into it, I couldn't get past painting my army, what with the toddling one around :laugh: WoodElfTreeman.jpg

Seeker Of Truth: Same problem here with Warhammer 40k. :D

Talisman is not nearly as time consuming, more like a basic board game and really worth checking out :)

Right now is Odwalla C Monster ... tonight will be Obsello, Port of Barcelona, and a ton of wine it looks like. I want beeeeer! But we're all a bit broke, so wine it is.

Just got in from witnessing a weddin'. I'm sipping a poor bloody mary right now. I'll switch later to something a bit more appreciable.

A friend of mine brought some Crema de Sotol to a dinner party earlier tonight. He's talked about it for months, so it was nice to finally get to try some. He is friends with the distiller, and he's had some difficulties getting it sold up here yet due to...labeling issues. Never heard of that before.

It's thick, creamy, and sweet...but not over the top. It has a very smokey, root and earthy flavor to it.

Now I'm finishing a very, very generous sample of Vieux Carre that a fellow forum member sent. Thanks again friend, I think I like it as much as you. ;) :cheers:

No alcohol for me. I will be participating in a shamanic ceremony in a few days and I have to be booze free for at least a week before, and another week after.

Think I'll fetch me some apple juice or something ......

Had a couple of liters of beer that Absomphe would've enjoyed. Visited Left Hand Brewing just North of Denver, and had their Hefeweizen, which used to be Tabernash Brewing's Hefeweizen before Left Hand swallowed the brand.

Fantastic beer.

I had a few glasses of aquavit with a late dinner of venison sausage, rich gratin Dauphinois, and fridge pickles. I'm going to go enjoy my coma now.

:twitchsmile:

I had a few glasses of aquavit with a late dinner of venison sausage...

:twitchsmile:

Venison sausage? Sounds great to me, but...

Last night, a Hendrick's cucumber martini and 2 Obsellos.

Tonight, something prohibition-era at McCormick & Schmick's

As a side note, I have Peychaud's and Regan's Orange on order. I found the bitters thread informative as usual. :)

Had a couple of liters of beer that Absomphe would've enjoyed.

Speaking of which, any updates on what Avery is planning to do with those Leopold's absinthe barrels, Todd?

Sipping a little Boissiere Extra Dry right now. My first impression... Yum! Probably better in cocktails than as an aperitif, but very well done. I love the Vya ED, but the unmistakable evidence of the muscat base limits it's applications, IMO. The Boissiere is a little more neutral, but the elderflower makes it just lovely!

A tasty verte, some tasty beer, some tasty arak, and some tasty pre-ban. First time for one of those. Yee-haw! :cheers: