DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

A glass of Meadow of Love before a trip to Little Rock for a conference. (Not looking forward to the heat).

Port of Barcelona martini with a tiny splash of HBP.

Tasty stuff. I must say, it's one of my favorite gins. I shared it with some folks at the pottery studio one Saturday night, and everyone who tried it liked it the most out of the other two offerings. :cheers:

Comparative Sazerac study: Rye vs Cognac.

The jury is still out.

Can't decide? I've taken to making half n' half Sazeracs: 1 oz. of rye, 1 oz. of cognac. They play very nicely together: spicy and smooth.

The best of both worlds! :cheers:

Last night was a river side tribute to my buddy and included some Makers, Bushmills, a beer or two, some really really great absinthe, more Bushmills and, ??, whatever went down at the bar later.

Hey, why is there chunks of partially digested food looking stuff on my carpet? Eeewww!

No, I wasn't driving. :twitchsmile:

Tonight is officially "Mexican Fiesta" night on my lovely patio. Some of Mexico's finest beers, and probably some tequila will in order. Heck, I might even make my famous Guacamole.

Orale.

Can't decide? I've taken to making half n' half Sazeracs: 1 oz. of rye, 1 oz. of cognac. They play very nicely together: spicy and smooth.

The best of both worlds! :cheers:

I tried that tonight. Very interesting. Remy Martin VSOP & Russell's Reserve Rye. I think I prefer the smooth cognac over the spicy rye, individually. Together, it was a tasty combination of smooth and spicy. Thanks, AiO. You didn't clear it up for me but you gave me a damn tasty drink tonight. :cheers:

Korean plum juice. Nice burnt taste. I like it. Not for everyone but, well, tastes good to me. :)

Condolences, MTG. Extremely young and untimely death. I'll drink to your friend this evening.

Late to the game...had some Frankensinthe™ ala Elfin Magik last night -- a proprietary blend of CO's mixed up with a bit of herbal liquor ala 1910 for sweetener. Odd, but tasty.

I tried that tonight. Very interesting. Remy Martin VSOP & Russell's Reserve Rye. I think I prefer the smooth cognac over the spicy rye, individually. Together, it was a tasty combination of smooth and spicy. Thanks, AiO. You didn't clear it up for me but you gave me a damn tasty drink tonight. :cheers:

Glad you liked it, Joe. Now you never have to make up your mind! If you favor the cognac, you could also do 1 1/2 oz. of the Remy and 1/2 oz. of the Russell's, which would give you just a hint of rye spiciness.

How is the Russell's, by the way? I've been eying a bottle of it on the shelf at the local store for a week or two now.

A Root hiball, thanks to a generous forum member. :cheers:

It was tasty on the rocks as well.

Next stop, the Rootini! Enjoy, my friend. :cheers:

Last night I finally tried some Belle Amie in celebration of my son's third birthday.

Happy belated to your boy.

How'd you like the Belle Amie?

I just tried LTV for the first time. I had full well intended to do an evaluation and post a review, however after tasting I decided that there are plenty of reviews here that adequately describe it's inadequacies. Just shockingly bad. I actually ended the tasting by tasting some "Scope". The Scope beats it hands down... maybe even as an absinthe!

The thought of this being someone's first taste of absinthe is saddening.

Louching up a glass of Leopold's now.

I actually ended the tasting by tasting some "Scope". The Scope beats it hands down... maybe even as an absinthe!

Awesome.

Brian, I think you've found another thing to include in blind tastings.

I still haven't tried LTV. If I ever see a mini of it on a local store shelf I'll buy it and give it a go. I even have an Absente mini to keep it company.

The question: "what ya drinking tonight" should be verified thoroughly after the Saturday in Boveresse. In fact, today there was my uncle's namesday so some beer, some vodka-still a joke. Saturday should be a standard other parties should be judged up with.

Starting off the evening with a cocktail I heartily recommend: the Thai Basil Bliss. The recipe recently appeared in the New York Times. I often find cocktail recipes in the Times to be too trendy on the one hand or overly exotic on the other, but this one is a great summer drink.

I substituted agave nectar for the simple syrup. Also, a confession: not having any "Thai" basil on hand, I used some from the herb garden in my back yard. I'm betting the results are just as delicious.

Give it a shot!

Okay, kiddies, this is the Alpha and Omega (in my not-so-humble opinion) of beer...

Russian River Consecration.

Tish and I tasted this one together, and have discerned 29 different esters in this masterpiece, so far...and, yes Todd, I had to write these down to keep them straight :laugh: ...Chocolate, coconut, currant, caramel, candied orange, coriander, celeriac, radish, the requisite horse blanket, and barnyard funk, rhubarb, lemon zest, lots of tobacco, black pepper, walnut, tangerine, acanthus leaf/bay leaf, cherry skin, strawberry, kiwi, balsamic vinegar, sweet cream butter, cigarette ash, kale, ginger, cardamom, Branston pickle, pineapple, and pink grapefruit are somehow all orchestrated meticulously, and even seamlessly, into the absolutely hands-down best beer I've ever had the delight to savor...this one even tops my previous favorite of the last five years, Stille Nacht Reserve '96 by De Dolle's Mad Brewers. If any of you real beer aficionados get the chance to try this one, don't let the $22 price tag scare you off. After all, it's a 25.4 0z. dose, and, believe me, it's cheap for what it is.

Dang! That sounds like something I ought to try.

Right now I'm just sipping a simple cocktail. I'll move on to better things later.

To a nice summer evening, Cheers!

Update: Ain't nothing quite like a glass of CLB on a warm summer evening. Ahhh, refreshing stuff!

Okay, kiddies, this is the Alpha and Omega (in my not-so-humble opinion) of beer...

Russian River Consecration.

Tish and I tasted this one together, and have discerned 29 different esters in this masterpiece, so far...and, yes Todd, I had to write these down to keep them straight :laugh: ...Chocolate, coconut, currant, caramel, candied orange, coriander, celeriac, radish, the requisite horse blanket, and barnyard funk, rhubarb, lemon zest, lots of tobacco, black pepper, walnut, tangerine, acanthus leaf/bay leaf, cherry skin, strawberry, kiwi, balsamic vinegar, sweet cream butter, cigarette ash, kale, ginger, cardamom, Branston pickle, pineapple, and pink grapefruit are somehow all orchestrated meticulously, and even seamlessly, into the absolutely hands-down best beer I've ever had the delight to savor...this one even tops my previous favorite of the last five years, Stille Nacht Reserve '96 by De Dolle's Mad Brewers. If any of you real beer aficionados get the chance to try this one, don't let the $22 price tag scare you off. After all, it's a 25.4 0z. dose, and, believe me, it's cheap for what it is.

That's a good beer, great beer even, but not even close to being my favorite from Russian River. Next month I'm getting together with some friends for a beer tasting and we are doing a full vertical of:

Beatification (one of my favorites): Batch 001, PH1, 002, 003

Supplication: Batch 001, 002, 003

Temptation: Batch 001, 002, 003

and some other crazy beers.

This is the reason why I have been absent form the absinthe scene the past year or two, I've been spending way too much time and money on beer. I can only afford one expensive hobby so absinthe had to take a break.

Edited by sea_of_lament