DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I've never seen a bottle of mead open and undrunk for longer than a half-hour! Sounds like a rare breed! Did you take pictures?? :tongue:

Edited by Silent

I've had a martini. Or two. *Pfffft*

I've been paying it forward this week and next week to meet my grandson the week after.

I'm tired. And besides who cares about fractions and percentages. That is what Excel is for. I hope.

Oops. Wrong thread. Almost.

Hi Gertz and Silent!!! It is great to see you both!

Tonight I'm trying Brian's now-famous, award-winning Monteleone Cocktail and a Hanky Panky courtesy of Beefeater on drinkboy's Chanticleer Society forum.

I love the rich flavors in the Monteleone, although the original recipe was unfortunately overwhelmingly sweet for my increasingly bitter-oriented palate. But with the liqueurs scaled back by 2/3rds or so I get a wonderful balance.

The Hanky Panky was a surprise for me, given the ingredients I didn't have high expectations for anything other than a heavy-vermouth martini but the Fernet Branca has a fabulous pungent flavor that fits my palate well. I like this cocktail as designed, which probably means it's too dry for most, just FYI.

I had a Makers with dinner and a few beers now. All this talk of mead makes me want to open a bottle of raspberry pyment I so generously got from friends last week. *wave* Hmm, that could be my beverage of choice to watch the game tomorrow.

Oh and Hi Silent. *wave*

I've never seen a bottle of mead open and undrunk for longer than a half-hour! Sounds like a rare breed! Did you take pictures?? :tongue:

Unfortunately not. I know that such a story doesn't sound very trustworthy without any other documentation than the word of a notorious absintheur and mead-guzzler. The reason it could happen is probably that it blended in with some empty bottles at the same table.

I had a Makers with dinner and a few beers now. All this talk of mead makes me want to open a bottle of raspberry pyment I so generously got from friends last week.

Hmm. I'll have so see about meetin' yer friends. The best pyment I've ever had was a raspberry pyment. :cheers:

I love the rich flavors in the Monteleone, although the original recipe was unfortunately overwhelmingly sweet for my increasingly bitter-oriented palate. But with the liqueurs scaled back by 2/3rds or so I get a wonderful balance.

I agree. Funny enough, the cocktail is too sweet for me as well, but I created it based on what I thought a New Orleans crowd would enjoy, not what my specific palate would like. Jamie Boudreau commented on his blog about the need to 'know your audience'. I think it worked out. :cheers:

I rarely get to enjoy a glass or two during the day. So I'm finishing off my bottle of VP, watching the Yankees. And now I get to decide which bottle to open next; Pacifique, WW, MoL, or VC.

Who doesn't wish they had that decision to make ;)

You're having more fun than me. I've been watching the White Sox, swilling rotgut and singing offkey country songs to myself between sobs while laying in an alley.

LMA O!

;0)

I don't know Peridot, that could be fun... just swill more!

Oh, by the way, I snuck a glass of Doubs. I must say, sugar really makes this absinthe shine, for me.

I'm gonna write a sad country song called "Left on Base." It'll be about going 23 straight innings at home in a hitter's park without plating a goddamn baserunner. There isn't enough booze in the world to make the Sox fun. And yet they're not write'em-off terrible like the Nationals so I can't just enjoy the spectacle of defeat, either.

Do they ever write the sox off? I mean, the Nationals of course, but don't people always consider the sox a contender?

Oh there have been some awesomely bad White Sox teams.

I guess it kinda depends on who you ask. They're taken a little more seriously since the 2005 World Series, but I think most people picked them as a 4th or 5th place team in 2007, 2008, and 2009. Last year they proved everyone wrong and won the division, but this year the only reason they're not a write-off and haven't been exploded to sell the spare parts is because the AL Central is so incredibly pathetic a division. So pathetic that as terrible as we are we're only 3.5 games out of first. We Sox fans have been wondering if it's possible to win the division this year with 74 wins. ;)

The Yankees are surprising to me. I didn't expect much out of them this year, despite the high profile additions. They're really tearing it up, though.

Well, finally broke the scoreless inning streak.

And now I get to decide which bottle to open next; Pacifique, WW, MoL, or VC.

Who doesn't wish they had that decision to make ;)

I don't have any VC, so it's a much easier decision for me...NOT! :unsure:

Jules and I are the featured guests at the local homebrewer's meeting tonight. We've been invited to discuss absinthe: the history, myths, the beverage itself and our own fledgling adventure. It should be fun. I've loaded the box with our travel fountain, a bevy of glasses, sugar cubes, spoons, Lucid, Kübler, (the two locally available is why) Leopold, Vieux Carre, Pacifique and Marteau. I know someone won't like absinthe so I've also tossed in a couple of bottles of Raspberry and Blackberry pyment besides, it is a homebrewer's meeting. Oooo, I better toss in a crapsinth, too.

WW for me this evening while sitting on the patio in front of my chiminea (pinyon pine burning) awaiting a phone call from my better half that she has returned from field work in New Mexico.

I'm gonna write a sad country song called "Left on Base."

That was the other Sox last year, IMO, in critical moments. While I like my "home team," I like baseball in general and was irked that an injured Red Sox beat the uninjured Angels. I love their small-ball style, and when it comes to the postseason I prefer a team that could actually go the distance, as opposed to the injured, worn out team. /rant

I had sips of VP and Obsello this evening, but decided I didn't feel like drinking, though it was no fault of the brands I was sipping.

Jules and I are the featured guests at the local homebrewer's meeting tonight. We've been invited to discuss absinthe: the history, myths, the beverage itself and our own fledgling adventure. It should be fun. I've loaded the box with our travel fountain, a bevy of glasses, sugar cubes, spoons, Lucid, Kübler, (the two locally available is why) Leopold, Vieux Carre, Pacifique and Marteau. I know someone won't like absinthe so I've also tossed in a couple of bottles of Raspberry and Blackberry pyment besides, it is a homebrewer's meeting. Oooo, I better toss in a crapsinth, too.

Travel fountaine? I just might have to check that out sometime in July...

Raspberry pyment? I just might have to check that out sometime in July...

WW for me this evening while sitting on the patio in front of my chiminea (pinyon pine burning) awaiting a phone call from my better half that she has returned from field work in New Mexico.

Dude, fricken a., What part?

I started the evening with a Gin and Tonic featuring Port of Barcelona gin...I love the flavors it has...seriously. I've mixed it with quite a few things tonight, and only one has been funkay.

Earlier I tried a tasty CO verte, but can't release names because I was sworn to secrecy.

Last night I only had one drink. It was a combo of three different absinthes that had less than an ounce left in each bottle. I had a tupperware tumbler about half full of cool water and as I came to each bottle that was close to empty, I just poured it into my tumbler. The drink got strong in a hurry and I added ice to take the edge off. Got that off my chest, maybe I can feel less guilty today. I was going to use a bendy straw but I thought that would be going too far. *smile*

<---------- white trash kinda guy.

It's hell getting down to the last of the booze. *sigh*

You and me both. It's sad when there's almost nothing left in the house to drink.

Travel fountaine? I just might have to check that out sometime in July...

Raspberry pyment? I just might have to check that out sometime in July...

I'll be sure to have them both ready to go!