DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Yes they are. My favorite absinthe cocktail. I like to make the slow reduction method grenadine to go with those.

Earlier today I had an Arsenic & Old Lace and a Mojito. Now a Marteau Belle Epoque.

Last night was some decent Shiraz from South Australia.

A good night, indeed!

Had my first sips (at room temperature, I'm now chilling them down) of louched glases of Walton Waters, and Meadow of Love.

Initial impressions...considerably more herbal punch than Pacifique, (in fact, the MoL reminds me of a slightly rougher version of a terrific Edouard Pernod clone I've enjoyed), deeper color (the Walton Waters is about the greenest CO I've seen since early Jade Edouard, and, fresh off the truck, there is definitely a noticeable sedimentary haze), and thicker, fuller louche, and mouth feel.

The Pacifique is definitely the more elegant, and seamlessly crafted, but I'm aware that the Delaware Phoenix creations have had an extremely brief aging...er, I mean resting period, so I don't plan on actually reviewing them for a couple of months.

Of course, it will take all the discipline I can muster (and probably more) to hang on to any for that long. :paperbag3:

Diving into the MoL now...

The color louched is very similar to Pacifique's, a pale minty green with white highlights. The mouth feel is wonderfully creamy, and the flavor is almost astonishingly dry (almost as dry as L'Italienne), and I can discern that is has been accomplished with a hefty dose of fine hyssop, because this is a very fragrant, baby powdery dryness. The lemon balm and thyme are certainly evident, but the violet adds a wonderfully feminine, perfumy touch reminiscent of the lilac esters in Leopold's.

As I continue to work (complete misnomer, in this case...there's nothing but pure enjoyment involved here) my way down the glass, the wormwood becomes more and more prominent in the flavor, as well as the aroma. It's great to taste that the Catskills are yielding such wonderfully flavorful herbage, Cheryl!

The finish is as dry as the middle, and it's extremely long. This is not to say that the anise isn't quite noticeable...this is not the L'Italienne, after all, (and definitely absinthe, Joe! :cheers: ). Truly an amazing early effort, and absolutely captivating, and mouth-coating, in a really, really good way!

Savoring the Walton Waters now.

This is an unabashedly thick, and creamy experience that brings to mind a certain legendary Nimes clone, albeit slightly rougher, in its young state...I enjoyed that clone after two years of "resting". Much of the green color is retained after the louche, and while the nose (neat) seemed a little musky, and muted, the louched absinthe really opens up, and reveals beautifully balanced and harmonious notes of anise, fennel, and hyssop, with wormwood just making its presence felt.

These aspects continue into the flavor...this is a very "green" tasting absinthe (not overcolored, certainly, but almost pushing that envelope is far as it can go without over-coloring. The lemon balm and thyme quietly contribute to the overall flavor profile, and the wormwood is more restrained than its exuberant counterpart in the MoL, but certainly makes its presence felt in the complex finish.

This is a radical departure from its sister creation, but it's every bit as savory, and delicious, and I have to give its creator a lot of credit for executing two such disparate efforts with such artistry. Henceforth, it'll be a sad day when I don't have either of these beauties on hand!

Of course, it will take all the discipline I can muster (and probably more) to hang on to any for that long. :paperbag3:

fuckin'A. Despite (or actually because of) it's youth, this absinthe has confirmed me as quite a dirty old man.

Actually the other day's tasting really gave me a hankerin' for a walk thru the Meadow when all was said and done, but by that time it would've become a stagger-almost-all-the-way-thru-and-pass-out-face-down-in the Meadow.

Laddie, I dannae where ya been but I see ye took first prize.....!

Great Divide Double IPA.

I think Double/ Imperial IPA may be my favourite beer style. I used to be a dark beer fanatic but I've found myself much more interested in IPAs and Tripels the past couple years.

Indeed.

So rich and creamy with just the perfect sweet malt backbone, hops out the wazoo, and perfectly balanced.

Oh, crap, I just realized I polished off my last bottle yesterday.

So rich and creamy with just the perfect sweet backbone out the wazoo. I polished off yesterday.

I thought you were straight?

Abs said:

the Delaware Phoenix creations have had an extremely brief aging...er, I mean resting period, so I don't plan on actually reviewing them for a couple of months.

If you can hold out, 3 months seems to be the point after which any wonkiness passes. And yes the fresh herbaceousness mellows.

Thanks for the very good review Jay, I'm glad you're enjoying my simple creations. Glad you're enjoying them too Absomphe!

Re: batch numbers (Jay mentioned them in his review). These aren't dates as TTB doesn't allow absinthe to have an age specification, but are my batch serial numbers to identify, hm, the batch! Kind of like a lot number if you will.

:cheers:

Sipping a blood mary. It's like dinner in a glass. Made it with a bottle of mix and some extremely cheap vodka(?).

Some days just aren't as pleasant as they should be. *smile*

Trying to get back to my roots. *wink*

A man can be in love with a manly beer and still call himself straight. I think. :cheers:

Damn straight.

And, MPC... I suckered...er, I mean baited...er, um, set you up for that response.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. ;) :cheers:

A man can be in love with a manly beer and still call himself straight. I think. :cheers:

Yeah but if you read what I quoted..

Eh, never mind. Obviously, it wasn't a good joke. :)

Oh I did.

You didn't really need to nudge that quote any more in that direction; it was there already. :tongue:

I suppose you're right. I'm rusty.

Another glass each of WW and MoL.

The Walton Waters is going to be an absolutely wondrous loose approximation of a Pontarlier style absinthe once the rough edges are smoothed over with a couple of months aging...that's not to say that I don't really enjoy it in its youthful exuberance, but there is just a hint of grassiness that should age out, and the anise is just a wee bit astringent at this point, obfuscating (just slightly) a few of the more subtle nuances lurking underneath, but this, too, will be rectified with two or three months of rest. Unfortunately that gorgeous green will undoubtedly fade a bit, as well, but it's only a visual aspect, and we don't taste with our eyes...usually ;).

The Meadow of Love, on the other hand, really seems to shine in its rambunctious youth, probanbly because of the terrific wormwood that really takes center stage in both nose, and the flavor. The anise, melissa, thyme, and particularly the violet work beautifully to showcase that glorious AA, in a similar manner that the subordinate herbs in Doubs Mystique work to highlight the beauteous Pontarlier Wormwood, only The Meadow of Love is even more dynamic....next order, I will definitely snag two more bottles of this gem!

Some mead.

I don't know exactly what's in it. I was bottling some a few weeks ago, and the other day I discovered this bottle still standing on the table. Apparently, I forgot to cap it and store it. Tastes fine. Lesson learned: Mead doesn't get bad, if it is left uncapped for a couple of weeks.