DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Dogfish Head Fort 2008.

If only it were just a tad drier...

Dry is hard to find at 18%.

Some wild yeasts could fix the problem!

Chamomile tea. I know, real exciting.

Careful...that shit'll mess you up.

Watch your footing around ballz, no matter how many hands are on them. :twitchsmile:

Brian, why didn't you throw a little absinthe in to the final recipe? I'd imagine you tried it that way.

Because I correctly assumed that the large majority of entries in the contest would have absinthe. I didn't want it to blend in with the rest of the pack.

I prefer it avec absinthe. The cocktail is a bit drier with the absinthe, which I dig, but I definitely wanted to suit the audience.

Dry is hard to find at 18%.

Some wild yeasts could fix the problem!

Yeah, sour, and some horse blanket-y funk would help, too. :thumbup:

Russell's Reserve Rye.

That's pretty dry.

How did you like the Russell's, Joe? I bought a bottle a while back, I thought it was pleasant enough but pretty lightweight. When that one went empty I went back to the Rittenhouse.

Tonight was a special night celebrating the other half's bday. Went to The Majestic restaurant in Alexandria, VA. Quite good. Very very interesting drinks.

The first was a Corpse Reviver #2 (Citadelle gin, Cointreau, Lilet blanc, Pernod and lime juice) - Supposedly a staple on menus in the 1930's but fell off the map.

He started with a Sidecar and finished with an Old New Orleans Queens Park Swizzle (8 year Barbancourt rhum, Demarara, lime and Peychaud's)

I tried the Sidecar as my second drink and finished with a Clinton Maple bourbon (Basil Hayden bourbon, maple syrup and lemon juice). This was quite delicious.

Lemme see if I can upload the pics.

The Old New Orleans Queens Park Swizzle and Clinton Maple Bourbon sound like my kind of drinks. Too bad I'm trying to abstain during the week. :thumbdown:

You are being good. We will try them together when we meet. :)

Binny's (wine and liquor store chains in Chicago) had a "green fairy" absinthe event at the South Loop location. Sampes of La Clandestine, Lucid and Nouvelle-Orleans were served along with a few mixed drinks made with Lucid. Got to meet Ted Breaux- pretty cool! :cheers:

Word is, Mat a.k.a. Verona Gentleman will be here tomorrow. After a post-work martini, Jules and I cleaned the forest and prepared the fire ring.

Everything aches. Time for an Earthquake. Ahhhhhhh..... :cheers:

Edit: Just had a short non-drunk dial with Mat. He's almost beyond North Dakota with visions of hitting Billings before he gets a little rest. Traveling at night is just as well when you're crossing North Dakota and Eastern Montana because you don't want to be distracted by the magnificent scenery.

Tomorrow should be fun. If anyone is in the neighborhood, the invitation is extended.

Joe, if I lived a little closer I would make it a point to get to know you and Jules ---

A Southern tradition --- Mint Juleps in a sterling silver cup tonight.

!7 year old Eagle Rare Bourbon from my dear old friend Jeff, who just happens to live in Bourbon County, Kentucky --- Cheers old friend !!!

Tried a Modernista .... looked good on paper, with scotch, rum, lemon juice, orange bitters and absinthe, but the flavors kind of cancelled each other out and I ended up with something akin to dishwater .... yuck. My first bad experience using "The Joy of Mixology", which is a truly awesome book!

Saved the evening with a double Mai Tai using Mount Gay Extra Old as the dark rum. Wonderful.

Word is, Mat a.k.a. Verona Gentleman will be here tomorrow.

It's good to hear that his truck issue didn't delay him too long. I think he'll probably need a lot of fire time and mellowing out. I would.

9 different vertes that came from the US, including Obsello, St. George and Vieux Carre that have been just reviewed (all 9 have been reviewed, 3 CO's have been added to WS reviews).

On additional note, VC easily declasses St. George and Obsello, though I have not said my final word and will be re-visiting Obsello in the minute since there is some potential therein (St. George cannot be saved, though).

I have not said my final word

Damn the luck!

St. George cannot be saved.
Dragon finally got him, eh? Truth be told, I have to agree with you.

Damn the luck!

Truth be told, I have to agree with you.

After revisiting, I have to say that Obsello is nice and pleasant, but the mintiness drives the other nuances home what might explain why the wormwood is not discernible. I understand that absentas have always been about badiane/melissa with light wormwood, yet although Obsello doesn't suffer from anethole overactness-which is good, it lacks herbacousness; to some extent it is reminiscent of one mint absinthe I had had, but definitely it should cut that mint down for the others to shine brighter. I will try it again with less water (since it is quite light at 50%), maybe it will solve the mystery*

The mystery of St. George, on the other hand, cannot be solved. My kind suggestion: add sugar, proof to 30% and let it be a liqueur as it is going in that direction.

Cheers, Joe!

*at 1:1, there is some wormwood coming finally, but that time it is silenced by some unwanted spiciness that should move in the finish and not at that stage.

How have I ended up drinking Rum Runners after having a couple of Martini's? Oh yeah, Kathy wanted something to drink. :devil:

Some Vieux Carre while watching a pleasant rainstorm.

Hey, techdiver: We're neighbors!

Saved the evening with a double Mai Tai using Mount Gay Extra Old as the dark rum. Wonderful.

I love Mount Gay rum of all sorts. And not just for obvious reasons. :pirate:

I, myself, am enjoying a glass each of Pere Fracois and La Valote, the US versions, now available at The Wine and Cheese Place in Clayton, MO. :thumbup:

Ommegang Hennepin.

I can't wait to get a new charger for my laptop. It's tough to type on the blackberry after a few drinks!