DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

DUNY sent me a bottle of Port of Barcelona Gin. It is very, very good gin. On the first small glass, it has already cracked my top five favorites. Wow.

Interesting. What puts it in the top five for ya?

I haven't tried the final product yet, but if it's still distilled in the absinthe stills, that really added a nice character to the sample I tried. I've still got a few ounces left if we ever get together again.

The Port of Barcelona Gin has a creamy mouth feel with a hint of vanilla in the finish.

Just my impression but I give it two yums up. Try it with fudge. I'm not kidding.

Edit: Sweet almond, not vanilla. I'm still liking it. A lot.

Will have to keep an eye out for that one.

Howdy, Montana! Trying to make my way back a bit. Been busy but have much more time these days so want to see what's happening here these days.

Cheers!

Oh, tonight? Just some chamomile tea after coming from the only Indonesian restaurant in the area. Delicious food and wonderful Indonesian tea. Dessert was a glass of liquid brown sugar, coconut juice and tapioca. Nice chocolate taste. Was gonna try the

Kopi Luwak but was too full. Next time for sure.

They have it there? Dude, I'm gonna check that place out this weekend then. I still need to try that stuff. I've heard so many good things.

What's the restaurant?

Satay Sarinah on S. Van Dorn in Alexandria.

10 dollars for the coffee but considering it is hand picked from the civets after excreting the coffee berries, you can understand how labor intensive it is. The waiter said that it is quite a pure treat.

Holy crap! No pun intended. That place is literally a block from our first apartment when we moved down here. Used to be a Thai place. Admittedly, it's not the nicest area, but we only had 8 hours to pick an apartment. It served us well for the year we were there.

Shannandoah Brewing Company is very near there as well. They let you 'rent' their brewing equipment and help you make your own beer, 7 cases at a time. It's awesome!

You should definitely not have a problem checking it out then for sure! Not very crowded and VERY nice staff. Clean. If you go, try the rijsttaffel the first time as it is what, 9 different samplings plus soup and salad and a dessert chosen by the chef. Worth the 25.

DUNY sent me a bottle of Port of Barcelona Gin. It is very, very good gin. On the first small glass, it has already cracked my top five favorites. Wow.

Ordered. Along with some other goodies. Probably the last order I'll be making for a while. ;)

Had my first Mint Julep, Woodford Reserve was used. Very nice, very frosty, as it's 29 degrees Celcius, which is basically heatwave weather for Ottawa, very refreshing.

Joe, you'll be proud to hear that I've taken your advice and given gin another shot. A friend (a very good friend) made me a gift of a bottle of Bluecoat last weekend and I am really taken with the way it dials down the juniper and introduces those lovely citrus notes. I've been experimenting with gin-based cocktails all week long, starting off with those in which gin plays a supporting rather than lead role. My favorites so far have been The Governor (thanks Gwydion!) and the Corpse Reviver. Loved the herbal spiciness that the gin brings to these drinks! I'm working my way up to the Monkey Gland and then, finally, the gin martini (with dry vermouth and orange bitters). I need to try the Garden Party too.

Looks like I've undergone a conversion! The teacher has become the student--definitely not the first time and hopefully not the last. I'll have to add that bottle of Port of Barcelona to my "to buy" list.

Cheers to you, my friend, for putting me on the path to enlightenment! :cheers:

I'm just sharing the lesson I was taught from Gwydion and Drinkboy. I'm a very willing student. :cheers:

My first impression of the Port of Barcelona is that the juniper while prominent is very light. I may change my mind on the second glass but I was quite smitten.

Joe, you'll be proud to hear that I've taken your advice and given gin another shot. A friend (a very good friend) made me a gift of a bottle of Bluecoat last weekend and I am really taken with the way it dials down the juniper and introduces those lovely citrus notes. ----

Bluecoat is excellent ----

Also give G'Vine a try if you like less juniper --- It has moved into my "top 2" (maybe #1) after over 30 years in search for a better gin. The predominate flavor is from the flowers of the same grape used in cognacs. Very different , very good --- Almost a new spirit in itself.

G'Vine is another of my favorite gins. I was introduced to it at Tales '07. Every gin is different as is every absinthe.

It's nice to have such variety. *smile*

G'Vine is another of my favorite gins. I was introduced to it at Tales '07. Every gin is different as is every absinthe.

It's nice to have such variety. *smile*

I was a year behind you --- Agreed on the variety.

I crushed them as good as I could. I don't have one of those fancy ice smashing bags so I put them in a ziploc baggy and beat them with a saucepan .

P.S. When I made your drink, there were lots of bubbles at the top. I think that means it was a cocktail of the highest quality. ;)

Brian's drink is next on the list of things to try --- :thumbup:

It sounds delicious ---

I had some delicious year and a half old Jade NO earlier tonight, and shared it with some wonderful friends. Mmm, NO clone. :cheerz:

Enjoying a glass of Marteau Verte Classique, my first glass of absinthe since Mossfest 2009! :cheers:

(for certain reasons I can't open my bottle of Marteau de la Belle Epoque)

Louched up an HG that arrived at my doorstep this afternoon. Much more than I was expecting-shows some serious potential. Now trying to polish off a bottle of cognac, but after going out last night, I may just leave a little in the bottle. :)

I feel the same way. EASILY one of the best gins I've ever tasted in my life!