DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Finally got to try Full sail Black Gold Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout tonight after waiting three years to do so, and I have to say it was well worth the wait. Very bourbony, but with lots of vanilla, and graham cracker esters, and a much drier finish than I would have imagined. The body is very ample and firm, but not as thick as The Abyss's, and the result is more drinkable.

What was even more surprising was the gastro pub I found this beauty at, called The Copper Hog, which was formerly a sports bar here in East Bumfuck. The Bison tenderloin in a double chocolate stout reduction that I consumed with dinner was one of the most delicious meals I've had in this town, and the portion was gigantic, as well.

The next time I visit, I promised to turn my waiter (something tells me he's a partner in the enterprise) on to some top notch absinthe (his only prior experience has been Lucid), and, with any luck ( down the road) he'll be able to get a really fine absinthe (like Pacifique) added to the joint's liquor selection.

The Bison tenderloin in a double chocolate stout reduction

That sounds simply fantastic. I wish bison wasn't so damn lean. I likes me fat.

he'll be able to get a really fine absinthe (like Pacifique) added to the joint's liquor selection.

That would be one excellent choice from the Pacific Northwest. Two would be better.

In Absomphe's honor, I had a nice pint of Alaskan Smoked Porter on draught at the Falling Rock Tap House here in Denver. Really enjoyed it. Followed with a Pomme Lambic, a Frambroise Lambic, a Stone IPA, and an Avery's IPA. Ran the gamut between sweet and bitter.

On to dinner where I had a lovely Dark & Stormy made with my dark Rum, and a Blackberry Whiskey sour, made with, you guessed it, my Whiskey.

What a nice evening.

In Absomphe's honor, I had a nice pint of Alaskan Smoked Porter on draught at the Falling Rock Tap House here in Denver.

Aw, shucks, Todd. :cheers:

Unfortunately, I've rarely seen it on tap up here, and when Tish and get down to Seattle, there's usually something moreexotic that catches our fancy. The infamous Brouwers Cafe can spoil one like that. B)

"Must get your products here".

Here, too!

I'm on my fifth glass of Kübler today. I've been spreading them out, but since I'm off tomorrow I'm going to enjoy as much of it as I can.

I was debating about what to do with the Leopold, though. I'd rather save it for when I'm not teetotalin', but if my bottle was to become empty somehow I could always buy another....

Gouden Carolus Van der Kizer 2008.

Great complexity with toffee, pear, banana, clove, ginger, and dark fruit esters, a silky body, and a very long finish. This one is out of the Westvleteren 12 school, but it lacks that tight, dry finish that sets the original apart.

After my meeting is over at 8, it's gonna be a glass or two of vertes. I'm thinking Marteau AdlBE and L'Italienne. A tasty evening ahead!

EDIT: Well, the Marteau was incredibly pleasing, I even posted photos on my blog. Then, rather than the L'Italienne, I went for the Vieux Pontarlier. Indeed, as I predicted, a tasty evening.

I think with a DITA, the choice is not so important as much as one being able to appreciate the taste. You definitely don't want to use your "white linen" bubbly for it. Brut works fine. Demi-sec is better.

Just took a sniff at the bottle of Helfrich Blanche... Such a sweet scent! Should this stuff ever be available in America, I can highly recommend it.

Let's have some...

Not if it's anything like the verte. Licorice root was a very, very bad idea. Sink-worthy.

For the record, there's no licorice in either one of them.

Baltic Imperial Porter of mine-final tasting prior to aging. In 6 months we will see whether it gets better-so far, very smooth, malty with delicate bitterness and real deal porter foam kicking the head with 9.3% (19 Blg) (what makes me think Żywiec Porter is no way 9.5% and 22 Blg-my Father says that he feels the same buzz after 500ml of Żywiec as after just 200ml of ours).

Had bastard Sazerac, used Angostura instead of Peychaud's, used arak not absinthe. I put in 3 dashes of bitters in the first one, second one used only one dash, and I wanted to accentuate the citrus flavor so after slicing the lemon zest, I ruthlessly stabbed the spot I had skinned and let it bleed its tasty juice into my glass. :devil:

HH

Edited by heavyharpoon23