DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Signatory bottling of Ardmore 15 y.o. Wow. Lot's going on here. On the nose, odine and seaweed, but also some farmy notes. On tasting, very peaty and oily, with something of Lagavulin. The finish is beautiful, like gentian eau-de-vie. Really different indeed. Top notch stuff.

Just had, by far, the best la blanche in my experience (and I "swing" toward absinthe verte). (Wish that I could say more). Thank you JL!

What a terrific Friday!

:cheers:

I'm just sipping a fine gin. It's a kit I got on ebay. Everything you need except the cheap vodka.

Yep, I'm a wild man. $3.95 for the kit and $5.87 for the 1.75 liters of vodka.

A martini sounds good. Hmmm.....

Just kidding, hehehe!

I just finished a lovely little Genepy. It was the product of infusion (Genepy and a few other interesting herbs) and not distillation which as I understand is common for Italian Genepies.

At only 35% abv, it's a kick in the head, lemme tell ya.

On the same night I went to the whiskey and bourbon tasting, I passed by a liquor store giving a Tourment Verte tasting. Sure, I thought, I'll taste it.

It was bad. Let's just leave it at that...

My absinthe stash is in a terrible situation. All I have left is three very small bottles of pre-ban, which call to me but must wait for the right time. I'm not sure when that is yet, but I think the screening of the last episode of the current series of Battlestar Galactica may be a good time.

So, tonight, it's Old Fashioneds with Wild Turkey Rye. I prefer Rittenhouse, but oh well, this'll have to do.

I am on to eating a very special beer-Gageleer :thumbup:

How did everything turn out with your homemade brews? My first round went exactly how I wanted. Very light, since that's all that Corin drinks. I think my next round will be Cherry Nut Brown.

On the same night I went to the whiskey and bourbon tasting, I passed by a liquor store giving a Tourment Verte tasting. Sure, I thought, I'll taste it.

I know the phrase "quit while you're ahead" is a cliche, but still... :rolleyes:

How did everything turn out with your homemade brews? My first round went exactly how I wanted. Very light, since that's all that Corin drinks. I think my next round will be Cherry Nut Brown.

Dubbel is slighly dry, but has all the characteristics a monastic one should have. Tripel is better-honey has got more pronounced and it has a certain sweetness that is desired in strong beers. Witbier will be tasted soon, while Porter I have had just a moment ago and it is still young, but porter-like, not too bitter and has the potential-especially in the alcohol department. All, except for Witbier, will be tasted after the full 6 month-aging as my friend, Absomphe advised to.

What were you brewing, Brian?

Cherry Nut Brown
-more information, please.

Started out with Leopold Bros. #14, then FINALLY kicked my La Coquette. Will probably now move on to Vieux Carre, or perhaps the other vieux.

Speaking of views... what a beautiful winter day it is in the NE. It's about 60 here. I've been cooking food on the grill and reading a good book outside all day. It just feels good to be alive right now.

Err... maybe that's the porkchops kickin' in?

What were you brewing, Brian?
Cherry Nut Brown
-more information, please.

First round was just a simple American Lager. Came out tasting very similar to a cross between Pacifico and the Gordon Biersch Czech style lager, which was kind of the flavor profile I was looking for: light and a bit dry with some oyster crackers in the finish.

For the next one, I'm basically going to use a simple English Nut Brown ale recipe and add in some tart cherries. We'll see how that turns out.

Today I had the chance to try the Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence. Very nice. Unfortunately, I'll have to drive to the brewery to get any. :3869-sadbanana:

I've also learned they have a new special inaugural brew, only available on tap. Informally the beer is called "Obamagang". I see a couple places in Oneonta where I can get it. I wonder if they sell growlers? :devil:

Hey! Evil Twin, I think you tripped over a glitch in the matrix.

Wine tonight. Blood builders and Vit D! Gotta keep that SAD at bay. *wink*

It was a beautiful sunny day today! And I went to work. Oh, well. I have a huge skylight over my cubicle. I also have a beech umbrella and travel brochures on my bookcase. It keeps them wondering.

Tomorrow is a full day off and we live above the inversion!

I see some x-c skiing in my future!

I know I shouldn't complain about overtime when so many have been laid off. Corporate feast or famine.

That is the way they like to do things. Oops. I've crossed over from the What Pissed You Off Today thread. :cheers:

Funny how the double post thing happens. I'm sure someone can fix it.

In the mean time, I've started on a nice Simon Pearce glass of 1901. It's been ages since I've tasted this stuff. It is some good goins'. Thanks Ted. Oh, the date on the back label indicates October 2006. I reckon it's been awhile. *wink*

Cheers!

Now there's a crazy idea. So crazy, it just might work.

Jules and I have been together for a while. Snacking on crackers and sardines without worrying about our breath and slurping Obituary Cocktails. It's a nice Saturday night. :cheers: , ya'll.