DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I picked a hell of a night to quit smoking.

Hey Gimp!

Just some inspiration. I'm going on 10 months now. Just keep trying to stay quit. If you goof up and have a cig. No problem have the cig but Restart from there. Don't make it an excuse to buy a pack. It's working for me. Still crave sometimes though but all under control.

~ Leich

I wonder if Gimp will make it two years? Next week. ;)

Good for you, Leich. I'm coming up on 20 years and occasionally still have the odd craving. If I can make it 17 more years (70th birthday), I'll celebrate with the best cigarette money can buy.

I've been chewing that damn gum for months now. It ends up being cheaper then smoking and the wife doens't give me a hadr time about smelling like smoke.

I do miss it though, i really like smoking. The toughest part is the drink though, makes me want to smoke so bad.

Tonight the drink police (my wife) will be at a discussion group until late. That means i will have plenty of time to imbide. :yahoo:

Something green and it's not anything in the bottles. I bet someone can recognize the louche. :wave2: Celebrating some good news I heard today.

sinthe3_1_1.jpg

If it's that pale, and it's not Ike, how about his WWII ally across the pond, Monty? :pirate:

I've been chewing that damn gum for months now. It ends up being cheaper then smoking and the wife doens't give me a hadr time about smelling like smoke.

I do miss it though, i really like smoking. The toughest part is the drink though, makes me want to smoke so bad.

Bah! You kids these days are so spoiled. Back in the good ol' days, we didn't have yer fancy-pants chewy gum and trendy little patches. Oh no, we ponied-right up and went from 3 packs a day to cold turkey. Up hill, in the snow, both ways.

Seriously, stick to your guns and your gum. All's fair in love, war and kicking the habit. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. Jules shoulda killed me a dozen times over for being the world's most difficult asshole. Good luck to you. :cheers:

Bah! You kids these days are so spoiled. Back in the good ol' days, we didn't have yer fancy-pants chewy gum and trendy little patches. Oh no, we ponied-right up and went from 3 packs a day to cold turkey. Up hill, in the snow, both ways.

One of my earliest memories is of my dad throwing down his pack of cigarettes, and swearing at it. This was late in 1957, after he'd smoked 4-5 packs a day for over thirty years. It was his first attempt to quit, and he never smoked another one. I never liked him much, but, damn, that must've taken some incredible willpower!

He also walked to school, but there wasn't much snow or many hills in Brooklyn. :)

How the hell could anyone manage to smoke that much in one day?

The most i was able to smoke was 1.5-2 packs in a day and that was back when we could smoke at work.

He Absomphe-sized his smoking opportunities!

In retrospect, I can't tell you how I managed 3 packs a day but at the time, it didn't seem so difficult.

I once tried self-induced aversion therapy in my dorm room. After pounding 2 packs in around 6 hours, it was amazing I wasn't dead. This took for 2 weeks when I suddenly thought to myself, "man...I could use a smoke!"

Thought about quitting this past week. Doesn't look like it's happening any time soon, though. I do so enjoy it.

For some reason, I've always been able to take or leave a cigarette. In college I smoked one or two a day (cigarettes, not packs). These days I only really have one if I've been out drinking. The last one I had was about 12 days ago. It would probably be wise for me to just give it up all together.

Speaking of smoking, last night I drank my first smokebeer. I was very surprised at how much it tasted like Drum tobacco. Weird at first, but it grew on me immensely.

Then I had the Choklat from Southern Tier Brewing. Simply put, an unbelievable chocolate stout.

Speaking of smoking, last night I drank my first smokebeer. I was very surprised at how much it tasted like Drum tobacco. Weird at first, but it grew on me immensely.

I can go in for a rauchbier most times. Schlenkerla gets big points with me!

. Schlenkerla gets big points with me!

Me too. One of the breweries I apprenticed at in Bamberg was just down the road from Schlenkerla. It's really the only beer that I need to enjoy with food. No food, no Schlenkerla. So choice on tap. Yum.

I also love the Schlenkerla, and I find it's friendlier session beer than the more aggressive Alaskan Smoked Porter.

Not that I'm not a fan of the latter, but the beechwood lends a much softer (yet still incredibly smoky) profile to a beer than the more obvious alserwood.

I also love the Schlenkerla, and I find it's friendlier session beer than the more aggressive Alaskan Smoked Porter.

Well, the draft version at the bierstube is much, much smokier than the stuff they ship to the US. Don't know if it's oxidation, pasteurization, or a different recipe, or what...but it's really quite different. The stuff at the Bamberg pub, well, it's so damn thick with smoke that you'd swear you could pull the beer out with a fork. I was actually suprised when I had a bottle of it here in the States. The beer down the road, Spezial, is a much tamer rauchbier.

Food for thought if you're ever in Bamberg.

I always figured the bottled export would be a tamer version of the indigenous draft, which I'd certainly love to experience some day

Then again, I'll bet A.S.P. draft is also even more of a monster on its home turf...if that's at all possible.

Voyager Gin out of a mominette.

Drinking an all new brand of mwoohoohahahahahahaaaa!!!! :devil:

On my way to glass #6...and they've all been wonderful and unique thus far...