DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Highland Oatmeal Porter. A microbrew in the truest sense, and oh, how I miss this beer. Good to have friends in low (latitudinally speaking) places.

Marteau. To be honest I wasn't so sure upon initial opening. There was an unusual (to me at least) aroma/flavor component that was hanging over the obviously very nice grape base and traditional verte spiciness. Was my tongue deceiving me? Had the world gone mad??? But just as I'd hoped, several days of breathing and every flavor is where it should be. My goodness. Now my anticipation is justified. This is one decorous absinthe.

Suckin' down a few louches of Verte De Fougerolles while watching a Tom Waits documentary called Under Review: 1971-1982. Can't think of a better way to spend a Friday night as the gal sleeps upstairs.

Sampling Absinthe Suisse Blanche Traditionale thanks to a very gracious, good (and to me, dear) friend :cheers: and enjoying it I might add!

I can't spell it.

I can't pronounce it.

But my second favorite absinthe on Earth. Period.

Let me guess, an HG blanche full of genepi goodness?

Over the holidays I had to buy a bottle of cognac because my dressing recipe called for some and I was out. I picked up some Courvoisier Napoleon, and I have to say that I like this stuff. Tonight I'm going to give it a try in a Sazerac. It's not rye, but for some reason I think it's going to be good.

Fantome Chocolat.

This one's very subtly chocolate-y, but otherwise rather bland, and disappointing...it's not even peppery like most other Fantomes, nor is it sour, or particularly funky.

I'm watching Strangeland and having a sip of an unexpected drink (read verte) that was sent to me by a friend.

Earlier, I got to see how well Danny (the dog) behaved in a very funny performance.

Thanks, friend! :cheers:

Had a Monkey Gland for the first time, made with Vieux Pontarlier. Delightful.

Also had an Absinthe Frappe made with VP. Delightful.

[edit:] I also mixed up a Monkey Gland with Kübler, my wife kindly suggested I put it in the fridge for a future day. Consequently, I'm feeling pretty good this morning. She's a good wife. :worshippy:

Fantome Chocolat.

This one's very subtly chocolate-y, but otherwise rather bland, and disappointing...it's not even peppery like most other Fantomes, nor is it sour, or particularly funky.

Did it have a cork or just the crown?

This is one that I have not had yet.

Been checking on Honey Dubbel #2-quite nice. Then Palinka 45% and Łącka 78%-even more nicer.

I'm giving the Vieux Pontarlier a third chance tonight, and it is coming up short. (Maybe my taste buds are barking mad).

I'm pouring a glass for myself as I type. I'll report back.

I'm so godsdamned behind in my reviews... Frack.

Yes, I'm happy BSG started again last night.

I was very happy that I could taste the Vieux Carre. I enjoyed it. The herbs tasted clean. That may seem like a weird comment but good herbs are so important. I think bad herbs transfer over to the final product.

I'm currently enjoying a small snifter of Courvoisier Napoleon Fine Champagne. Nice. *smile*

I'm giving the Vieux Pontarlier a third chance tonight, and it is coming up short. (Maybe my taste buds are barking mad).

I was very happy that I could taste the Vieux Carre. I enjoyed it. The herbs tasted clean.

I'm afraid that the Vieux Carre wins the "Battle of the Vieuxs" in my book as well. And it has a lot to do with the "clean" taste that Maggie describes. There's just something in the aroma and taste of VP that puts me off, despite the fact that it's obviously a well-crafted, quality absinthe.

VC, on the other hand, is quickly becoming one of my favorites! :cheers:

Did it have a cork or just the crown?

This is one that I have not had yet.

It had both a cork and a crown.

Northfork Brewery, Wedding Chapel, Pizza Parlor, and Beer Shrine's Hair of the Frog Barleywine, this evening.

Due to the hop shortage, this treasure of a brewpub hasn't had any barleywine on tap for close to year, and I've sorely missed madman Eric Jorgensen's incredibly fruity, hoppy, syrupy, and immaculately balanced nectar. This batch is a relatively restrained 11.5% (the last few were closer to 13%), but it is virtually exploding with complex fruity goodness, including mandarin orange, tangerine, strawberry, guava nectar, kiwi, peach, pear, and plum esters, with just the right amount of solid hop backbone to keep the ale from ever becoming cloying. I'd have to rate this as either my favorite barleywine ever, or place it in a flat-footed tiewith La Conner's Olde Curmudgeon...no relation to yours truly. :devil:

Frakkin' toasters. Too bad Sixer aint here to take offense.

Leo Batch 14 as well as some Marteau. I might have some some VP later, or maybe a Marteau frappe. But either way I feel like I'm in the absinthe promised land.

Just relaxing with friends and sipping a verte. One is drinking some kind of beer and the other is drinking Firefly vodka and digging it! The others are just being a bit lippy and ignored. *devil grin*

Quite a nice evening.

Cheers! Ya'll