DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Hey T/OMG. It has been a wild ride this year but am getting settled in my new digs outside of DC here in Arlington, VA after training abroad and coming back from Austin earlier today. FINALLY getting settled in. New job, new town, new relationship. Overall? Things are getting better. No absinthe since, February or so of this year. Sad, but true. I will be placing orders in the spring though. Haven't really been drinking too much and certainly miss you fine folks.

It's good to see you, MPC. Don't be a stranger.

Sazeracs with this Ri 1 stuff I decided to give a whirl...tasty!!

I'm having a glass, too. I really like it.

Where the hell you guys get Malacca? I've only been able to secure a 3 ounce sample, and it's been long gone.

MPC, shoot me a text when you can come up for air. I think lunch as Les Halles or Citronelle is in order.

And yay for 15,000 replies to this topic!

Les Halles is closed, I am told. Malacca was bought by the new other half in the store when it came out. Still have 2/3 of a bottle left. I am sure we can get you a drink or three.

Really? That sucks. Last time I went by, it was busier than all hell.

*edit: Just read the farewell. The building owner wanted to double the leasing cost. I can understand why they'd scoff at that.

Well then, maybe Oyamel or Jaleo or something else. Central Michel is also a good option. We can have some good absinthe there. :cheers:

Jaleo is great. Well, he's a gourmet cook, no less, and has introduced me to some major eats here thus far. Major. Some, very cheap like the Vietnamese sandwhich at lunch today for 3.25. Yummy! He wants to try absinthe so yes, we will definitley want to hit one of the joints that carries a few varietals.

Let's plan something in January (sans Inauguration week, of course).

Well, tried a combo of Leopold Bros. and rum, Tremblement de Terre style (1/2 oz. of each). I used Bacardi Gold onacuz that's all they had in minis that wasn't Capt. Morgan's, Tommy Bahama's or Malibu.

Pretty good; close to the same effect as with cognac, but more buttery than butterscotchy, and a sweet backbone of rumey goodness. I wouldn't add any more water than 2.5:1 max, as the flowery Leo goodness starts to get lost.

I'd bet that using more absinthe would be nice too. A high quality rhum would prolly be nice as well. And then one could try using actual Pisco...

So, GB, the "earthquake" that you made was 1/2oz each gold rum and absinthe, with ~2.5oz water? Any ice, or was the ice included in the water amount? I'm very intrigued!

I had a big glass of Lucid tonight, sugared, while I played Liverpool Rummy with the family. Very pleasant.

That's correct Khiddy. I added 2.5 oz. water, but I think just beyond 2 oz. was really where I should have stayed, as the floral tones of the Leopold peaked there and started to fade after.

If you haven't tried a Tremblement de Terre with cognac yet, I recommend it. Leopold is good in it, as are most cocktail friendly (and especially grape based) absinthes.

And no ice for me, I louche either via fountain or just stick a sports squeeze Evian bottle (the one with the red flip top) in the freezer.

I'm sure there's good threads here about it, and this one at La Fee Verte was really interesting too. Don't stop till you get to the photo of PF 1914 and Cognac 1900 :devil: .

I'm definitely going to try the Treblement de Terre with a nice rum like Mount Gay, especially because it seems to be so well suited to absinthe in general onacuz absinthe is soooo, well... B) ;)

Seriously, I'll bet it'll be delicious with Leopold's.

Unfortunately, Grande Absente Absinthe Original. However, there is only about 1.25 ounces left in the bottle, so as of tonight the bottle will be emptied. I saved some Lucid(my previous purchase) just so I could remember what an "average" absinthe tastes like ;) > I find it very unsettling and downright frightening that I have actually "gotten used" to the jelly bean licorice taste of Absente. I do like the color of the Absente Louche, one of its few redeeming aspects ;)

Well, do your best to enjoy your Pastis Substitute with Wormwood Flavoring Added (Refined)™, prof! Here's hoping you'll be able to enjoy better offerings in the future! :cheers:

A chilly night here in the Arizona desert and I'm kicking back with a glass of la Clandestine and some Desi Murli in the narghille.

Two glasses of Clandestine. Marvelous. Absolutely marvelous.

And later today (now that it's past midnight), the Vieux Pontarlier should arrive, so it'll be high times at the old K-Hiddy house tonight!