DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I just racked 12+ gallons of an attempt at Schlitz Dark Lager to corny kegs. Weird results. 1.064 OG, 1.012 TG and it is very sweet and sticky. I think I need to check my hydrometer.

At one pint per day, that is a three month supply. Ihope I don'thave to dump it.

Good God man! Are you a machine?

Let me know when you offer lessons. I've been brewing for only ten years or so. I'd love to take a Master's class.

I probably should not have done a 12+ gallon batch for an experimental brew. Live and learn.

However, it took up just as much space in the refrigerator (the whole thing) as a 5 gallon batch, and the ingredients were minimal so if it had turned out it would have been great.

The recipe was based on a brew log from Schlitz from 1975. One of my friends works for a subsideary of Miller and was able to get a copy of the log. It was 34% corn (Grits), as was the 1975 Schlitz.

I've got 5 gallon batches of IPA (1.074 OG), DeleriumTremens Clone (1.084 OG) and a Wee Heavy (1.140 OG) all in primary, so I'm set for beer for a while. I probably won't brew for 3 to 6 months.

The Wee Heavy won't get tapped for a couple of years.

Not the smoked porter, but I'll be sending some HG sour beers instead.

The Porter is very foamy so I think it will explode in transit.

Gotta be careful.

At one time Schlitz had 51% of the beer market in the United States. It was good stuf.

I used to drink Schlitz Dark on Draft (it was not available in bottles). Schlitz had some great beer back then.

I'm sure someone will correct my fading memory but I recall several breweries creating special editions or limited quantity productions. One of my favorite Uncles was a lifetime employee of Anheuser-Busch (I know). Uncle Bill's favorite was a limited production of Michelob that was as black as your favorite stout. I don't remember much else other than Bob Gibson was on the mound for the Cardinals while Lou Brock and Curt Flood took care of the outfield...Busch Memorial Stadium.

JRuined, how many cords are you putting up?

We split about 4 cord (no cord for you :P ). Fun work on a beautiful day. Started early (about 6) and finished around noon. Going to let my sister's loser boyfriend try to redeem himself and have him help us stack it away later this week. Fat chance of that. So most likely we'll just stack a cord or two up in him and send him on his merry way. Dirtbag.

Anyway, we sat around afterward and soaked up the day. Sadly that came to an end when I went to my 9 to 5 (really it's a 3 to midnight). Then I was in a pissed mood. Tired and irritable do not a kind and gracious Jesse make.

Now however, I am feeling much better. Booze, music, and sketch book at hand.

-j.

::grunt::AYINGER BRAU GOOD ::grunt::

I used to drink Schlitz Dark on Draft (it was not available in bottles).  Schlitz had some great beer back then.

It was O.K., but even Pabst wasn't bad, back then.

It weren't no Dinkelacker, though.

We split about 4 cord (no cord for you :P ).  Fun work on a beautiful day.  Started early (about 6) and finished around noon.

4 cord in a morning's work? Then off to a real job? You are more man than me. Well, obviously.

That is some serious labor of love.

We typically put up 7 cord for a hard winter. Haven't had to do that in years.

We probably have 20 cord stacked around the ridge from various cleaning projects.

Life is good.

Oh, and back to the intent of the thread. Coffee. Wishing I had a dose of medicinal absinthe in it for the rheumatism but that damn day job keeps getting in the way. :devil:

Maybe one of you math geniuses can figure out how many one-ounce doses there are in a bottle of absinthe. I'm fairly certain that the Eduoard costs less per serving than a cocktail at a good bar. (In NYC, a martini or a Cosmopolitan runs you between nine and thirteen bucks.)

Hiram did this some time ago, it's on the main page of this site.

I believe he included shipping in the bottle costs, prices have changed some since this was first done, I'm sure, due to currency fluctuations.

1 oz (average drink) = approx. 3 cl. = approx. 23 drinks per 70cl bottle.

Example:  Brand X = $100/ liter (100cl) = $1.00/cl = $3.00/drink.

Brand                                    Cost / Bottle  Cost / Centiliter  Cost / Drink

Ulex                                            $50.80 - 70cl      $0.72              $2.17

François Guy 45%                       $85.00 - liter     $0.85                $2.55

Mari Mayans 70%                       $61.75 - 70cl     $0.88               $2.64

Lemercier Abisinthe Regular 45%  $65.00 - 70cl   $0.93              $2.79

Deva 70%                                  $65.91 - 70cl    $0.94              $2.82

Pernot - Un Emile 45%                $70.00 - 70cl    $1.00               $3.00

Hill's                                            $76.98 - 70cl    $1.10               $3.30 

Pernot - Un Emile 68%                $80.00 - 70cl    $1.14               $3.42

Lemercier Abisinthe Regular 72%  $80.00 - 70cl   $1.14               $3.42

Fruko Schulz                                 $39.98 - 35cl    $1.14               $3.42

Absinth Original                            $90.98 - 75cl    $1.21              $3.63

Verte de Fougerolles 72               $86.00 - 70cl    $1.22               $3.66

Lemercier Amer Abisinthe 72%     $90.00 - 70cl    $1.28               $3.84

La Fee 68%                                $96.00 - 70cl     $1.37              $4.11

Blanche de Fougerolles 72           $97.00 - 70cl     $1.38               $4.14

Mata Hari                                     $70.67 - 50cl     $1.41               $4.23

Absinth Elixier                             $77.70 - 50cl     $1.55              $4.65

Segarra 68%                              $171.42 - liter    $1.71              $5.13

Absinth King of Spirits                 $123.18 - 70cl    $1.76              $5.28

Jade Nouvelle-Orleans                 $134.44 - 75 cl   $1.80              $5.40

Jade Suisse Verte 65                  $134.44 - 75 cl    $1.80              $5.40

Sebor 55%                                 $98.23 - 50cl       $1.97              $5.91

Logan Fils                                  $226.00 - liter      $2.26             $6.78

Absinth King Gold                       $212.98 - 70cl     $3.04              $9.12

I read that list and oh what good sense it made. Practicality ranks high with me.

Reviewing the list and my wallet. There was little doubt as to what I'd be buying.

Even with shipping and product price increases, it is far better for me to indulge with friends at home/event than risk unpleasant treatment by the local constabulary.

Hiram, your work was/is appreciated.

Thanks for reminding me Grey Boy

VdF last evening. Not at all unpleasant. Nice dreams.

:cheers:

Hiram did this some time ago, it's on the main page of this site.
A stinging indictment. Sorry for not conducting a proper search. Thanks, Grey. Thanks, Hiram.

Is that what you suspect? Naughty kitty! Pardon the Woolworth's Freud, kitty, but I suspect one of us is projecting.

Now, c'mere, kitty.

Goooooood kitty....

Gen-tle kit-ty....

WHACK.

I fully support you in getting everything you deserve. Furthermore, it's Friday! :clap:

Slacky, the new, improved avatar is a triumph.