DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Sometimes I wonder why this is referred to as "Baby Saz".

I assume it is a reference to its age, six years old as opposed to its older 18 year old big brother. I like them both but the Baby is an affordable favorite for sure. I'm also a fan of the 100 proof bonded Rittenhouse rye, too.

Had a Creamy Apple Pie earlier, which featured my homemade Clove Liqueur and some Applejack, along with some heavy cream and simple syrup. Nice.

Now, on to a glass of Lucid, to compare it with the Jade Edouard that I had a few nights ago. I realized that I haven't written a review of Lucid, so I gotta get on that!

2008 The Abyss.

The flavors are better blended than last year's, and that cigarette ash has morphed into the classic "burnt currants on a cake"™ that lends a lip-smacking balance to the licorice, and molasses esters. I've read a few reviews that claim this year's version isn't as rich as the original, but I think it's even thicker, and more velvety.

I can well understand why it's the #2 beer in the world on Beer Advocate, even surpassing Dark Lord. Imperial Stouts don't come any more luxurious than this one.

Thanks for your earlier referral to Beer Advocate, Abs. Though most of my booze budget is dedicated to my favorite liquor, BA has helped guide me to some good beer offerings when I'm in the mood.

2008 The Abyss.

The flavors are better blended than last year's, and that cigarette ash has morphed into the classic "burnt currants on a cake"™ that lends a lip-smacking balance to the licorice, and molasses esters. I've read a few reviews that claim this year's version isn't as rich as the original, but I think it's even thicker, and more velvety.

I can well understand why it's the #2 beer in the world on Beer Advocate, even surpassing Dark Lord. Imperial Stouts don't come any more luxurious than this one.

I attended brewing school in Chicago waaaaay back in 1995 with the guy who was, at the time, the head brewer of Deschutes. He drove out to school with a cask conditioned barrel of Mirror Pond, icing it down as he made his way East. Holy cow, was that a treat. Deschutes makes some fine, fine beers.

Oh...and on the Absinthe barrel front, it seems that we've been contacted by damn near everyone with a brewhouse in Colorado, hoping to cadge some barrels from us, Absinthe, Rum, Pisco, etc. The one I'm looking forward to are the apple whiskey barrels. The boys at Avery are looking at 'em. I'll have to demand a few bottles for the WS beer fans.

Although I've not tried it, it's still fun to say. Is it fun to taste?

Meh. Maybe time will mellow it and make it less difficult. (Like me?!?!)

Sipping the last of the Remy Martin VSOP. *sniff*

I have a bottle of The Abyss sent by a dear friend last year. They sent two and I drank one on her birthday to celebrate with her. I would dearly love it if someone had some to trade or..........

Cheers!

Just finished off another glass of Leopold batch #10.

This gets even more interesting as I work my way slowly through the bottle.

Went to a Christmas Ships viewing party on the Columbia River this evening, where I enjoyed a few glasses of Baco Noir from Girardet Vineyards (Willamette Valley, OR), along with some dessert wines. When I got home, I louched up a glass or two of Lucid - trying to nail down my thoughts on this one for my review. I'm liking it more and more the more I have of it (this is glass #5 since I opened the bottle on Wednesday). More to come, methinks.

Oh...and on the Absinthe barrel front, it seems that we've been contacted by damn near everyone with a brewhouse in Colorado, hoping to cadge some barrels from us, Absinthe, Rum, Pisco, etc. The one I'm looking forward to are the apple whiskey barrels. The boys at Avery are looking at 'em. I'll have to demand a few bottles for the WS beer fans.

Dayum, that news is makin' my my mouth water! Todd, one day we really have to bend some serious elbows (and palates) together. :cheers:

I'd love to see what Avery could do with those barrels. I'm generally a fan of their bigger beers, although I wish a few of them had a bit less residual sweetness.

I'd love to see what Avery could do with those barrels. I'm generally a fan of their bigger beers, although I wish a few of them had a bit less residual sweetness.

Heh. Well, one of the fun things we have to consider is what to do with the fruit sugars that are sure to be left in the apple whiskey barrel. Do they repitch a small amount? Will the apples dry the beer out, as straight fruit juice usually does? Fun experiment, for sure.

I think that I'll be in San Fran in Jan/Feb for a few days. Maybe we could meet for beer? Well, and other stuff, of course.

No! :shock:

We wants snow. Snow is good.

It insulates things so they don't freeze.

Snow is our friend.

I am drinking Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I think it is time to say goodnight. :wave2:

phb. We're still postitive down here.

Earlier I sipped some of a dandy sample from Un Emile Rouge 2006, from a dear friend.

Later I had a dandy blanc from another dear friend, followed by a sexy verte. :yahoo:

Heh. Well, one of the fun things we have to consider is what to do with the fruit sugars that are sure to be left in the apple whiskey barrel. Do they repitch a small amount? Will the apples dry the beer out, as straight fruit juice usually does? Fun experiment, for sure.

I think that I'll be in San Fran in Jan/Feb for a few days. Maybe we could meet for beer? Well, and other stuff, of course.

I have a feel that, in this case, the whiskeyish apples might intensify the sweetness, but I could certainly be dead wrong. A fun experiment, indeed!

As to San Francisco, I've never ventured into California, and don't have an overwhelming urge to do so (although, an afternoon of tipplin' with you would almost be compelling enough. ;) However, if you ever make as far north as Seattle, I'm sure my wife, and I would really enjoy dropping down from Bellingham for lunch, and to hoist a few. :cheers:

This evening I am enjoying a glass of La Clandestine. I am super grateful that we can get it here in Canuckistan, and for less $$ than I have seen it advertised anywhere else. It truly does taste better without sugar.

Someday, I'll have Clandestine and Marteau at my local liquor store, too. I'm sure.

It's something nice to think about while I enjoy this perfectly tasty glass of absinthe.