DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

There IS one candy more revolting than marshmallow Peeps, and it's those orange marshmallow peanuts that surface at Halloween.

I LOVE those!

Ah, I smell a showdown!

post-97-1145248930.jpg post-97-1145248946.jpg

My recollection of the peanuts (my grandmother kept them around) is that they had a stiff character/texture compared to Peeps. Almost squeaked as your teeth cut through them. Like the Peeps, they are addictive and can drive anyone into a diabetic shock.

Brings to mind the Leone pastilles.

post-97-1145249516.jpg

I supposedly "won" a box of these on eBay recently, but it looks like the seller took my money and ran. Anyone tried these? A novelty, I suppose.

Can anybody name the primary flavour of the peanuts? It's why I like them so much. My Dad eats the peeps like crazy. After Easter, he makes special trips to evey Wall Mart, K-mart, etc he can find and buys all the leftovers on clearance to last him the rest of the year. That may be the reason he is so well preserved. He is 63 and looks 49-50.

After a weekend of drinking way too much, mostly local microbrews (Big Time brewpub in Seattle); I've taken it easy for a while. Last night was Sake, one old favorite, one new one. The old favorite is Yaegaki nigori sake, which is robust, slightly smoky, very fruity style that reminds me a little of a sweet stout in flavour and body. The new one is Snow Beauty, i forget the name of the sakery; probably the thickest, creamiest nigori I've ever found, with a strong body, hint of smokiness, and a more flowery nose and palate than the Yaegaki, whine not being quite as sweet. In fact, a little drier than I expected from a nigori, particularly one with such a thick body; and quite pleasantly balanced.

Brings to mind the Leone pastilles. 

post-97-1145249516.jpg

I supposedly "won" a box of these on eBay recently, but it looks like the seller took my money and ran.  Anyone tried these?  A novelty, I suppose.

Actually, those aren't bad! I won some of those on ebay a couple of months ago. The "gurl" that was selling them took a very long time to send them to me, and ignored my emails until I started getting rude. She finally sent them, and they're really good! I thought they would just be simple licorice, but no, they pretty much taste like absinthe. There is wormwood extract listed in the ingredients, and I swear I can taste it.

Last evening was an effort to enlighten a few friends. I took CLB, K53, Jade Ed, Jade VS, Montmartre and Blanchette. Their questions were handled delicately with appropriate demeanor. With and without sugar. I believe the thujone/trip'n balz issues were laid to rest. Converts are in the making.

:cheers:

Last evening was an effort to enlighten a few friends. I took CLB, K53, Jade Ed, Jade VS, Montmartre and Blanchette. Their questions were handled delicately with appropriate demeanor. With and without sugar. I believe the thujone/trip'n balz issues were laid to rest. Converts are in the making.

Hallelujah!

There IS one candy more revolting than marshmallow Peeps, and it's those orange marshmallow peanuts that surface at Halloween.

Perhaps the Czechs can be persuaded to come up with a Halloween ritual this year?

I like the peanuts and....tonight Shai presented me with a shot and I smelled it and it smelled exactly like circus peanuts, it tasted just like them! I love them! So tonight I have had a shot of "Bananas Bananas", and thanks to T73, some delicious rasberry mead. Sadly I don't drink as much as I used to and am sufficiently toasted.

Now can anyone here vouch for my feeling of sudden momentary drunkness when you take a big ol' swig of alcohol? There was just a bit left in the bottom of the mead bottle so I just swigged it and got all dizzy for a minute and Shai thought I was being dumb.

Wow I usually don't make this long of posts, I guess I babble when I'm drunk :blush:

Have I told you all how much I love you?

And I thought you were just being considerate to me because I was the designated driver a few weeks ago! ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the pyment. Thanks.

Had a couple of Clandestine Blues, very smooth, and now I'm drinking a glass of White Fairy which I have my suspicions about, but maybe it just isn't as clean as the Clandestine, but I have a nice buzz going!

I said I'd had a little too much Redbreast, but now I'm having more. I was just about to pour a CLB but then thought, no, I should stick to one type of booze and not mix it up with absinthe. In my past experience, mixing whiskey and absinthe has never resulted in a happy experience. I have a meeting tomorrow morning. As a filmmaker, it's okay if I'm a bit rough around the edges at a morning meeting, but I'd still better be able to make my points without passing out at the table...

Good call Stomp! Mix and match can be fatal.

Have you ever heard of Red Hackle whiskey? I've been looking for a bottle without success.

I've found that I tend to have vivid dreams after drinking absinthe.

On Friday, I ordered some Brut d'Alambic & some Duplais Verte. Last night, I dreamed I was waiting for the flying monkeys. They arrived in an old Jeep, so I ran downstairs to meet them. There were two rangy-looking guys carrying an already-opened box. I looked inside and saw that whoever opened the box had drunk 80% of a liter of Bacardi Añejo with a label reading "Absinthe" pasted on the bottle. The other bottle (a half or 0.7 liter) had also been opened, but only a couple of drinks had been taken out of it. I remember thinking, "I think LdF had better find more reliable couriers!" And then, thank God, I woke up. But I'm still waiting for the real life monkeys to fly in...

I have a bit of the Brut remaining but my Duplais Verte didn't last long. It was yummy to me at that particular time. :)

I don't enjoy dreams like that. The LDF monkeys have been top shelf.

Enjoy :cheers:

I have been washing planes and the hangar all day, so I'm going to go get a taco with my oldest, and come home to get an early start on the evening. We've had a "cold front" come in, so our high today was almost 80. That means hot bath, cold absinthe, good book. I can't wait-AAAHHHHH.

I can't wait to try the Ike. I think the next order wil include an Ike and a Jade. Do ya'll find it worthwhile to order your own Jade, or just wait for an event for a share? If I *should* buy it just to try it, I might wait.

Both excellent IMHO and just waiting for the monkeys will be worthwhile. Having them in my cabinet is like my security blanket. I can dabble in others just knowing they're waiting for me anytime the mood strikes.

The mood strikes often and it in itself is an event.

By the way ...... my 30th b'day was grand but the others get even better. ;)

Do ya'll find it worthwhile to order your own Jade, or just wait for an event for a share?
Ix-nay on the ait-way. Go for the gusto, say I.

Maybe one of you math geniuses can figure out how many one-ounce doses there are in a bottle of absinthe. I'm fairly certain that the Eduoard costs less per serving than a cocktail at a good bar. (In NYC, a martini or a Cosmopolitan runs you between nine and thirteen bucks.)

SO, Sandpedlar.....you'll want to add a Jade to your next order because it's the thrifty thing to do. <_<