DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I enjoyed it. I just bought a couple mini bottles. It doesn't seem as dry as some but it tasted like a decent gin. I'll buy a 750ml bottle next time. I just had it on ice. Quite refreshing after a long ugly day.

The reason I didn't buy the full bottle was that it was 2/3 the price of plymouth. Made me cautious.

Try it! Tell us your opinion. :cheers:

I picked up a bottle of New Amsterdam Gin today. At 11.99 a litre, I thought it was worth a try. It is a decent gin. I haven't tried a lot of brands, but I think it is good. Pretty straightforward, not real complex, but enjoyable, especially for the price! It is good on ice or with tonic, pretty smoothe.

The regular price is 14.99 a litre. At the sale price, I may pick up another bottle.

I don't know how I'd react if I crafted an HG and it were subsequently labelled as petty. :harhar:

MY GOD! , I am so SORRY for that misspell. To it's maker I apologize.

I meant PRETTIEST. For gods sake please forgive me friend. The louche was beautiful. :thumbup:

VdF. With honey from one of my father's hives.

Wow, I never thought of honey as a sweetener with absinthe. Has anyone else tried this?

baubel, does it change the flavors much?

It does when you add too much. :laugh:

Seriously though, from what I tested out last fall, it varied based on honey type and brand. There's a light colored purple sage honey which really brought out some nice floral flavors in the VdF.

One time when I tried honey with La Matriesse it turned the weak louche kind of gray, and I wasn't paying enough attention to the flavors.

Admittedly, I haven't been very scientific about it. :thumbdown:

I'd better do some more research.

That was a pitcher's contest right there.

It's frustrating that the Sox can never get the bats going at the same time as the pitching. I'm tired of low scoring losses.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, thanks (profuse thanks, actually) to a mysterious benefactor!

Absolutely delicious stuff, very dark, very woody, very rich, and bitter-chocolatey/spicy/nutty, and very fruity, in a date/fig/prune kinda way. Heavy, syrupy body, with plenty of dryness to balance off the sweetness, and one of the longer finishes I've experienced in quite awhile...it reminds me somewhat of Port Brewing's Older Viscosit without that bourbony overkill. I think this is my new favorite Dogfish Head brew. I even prefer it over the Worldwide Stout.

And that is from the first batch(that is now sold out around here), I'm sure future batches will start losing some of that spicy wood.

That'll be a damned shame.

It's the spiciest wood I've ever tasted in any alcoholic beverage, and really gives the ale its uniqueness.

Think about it, first batch in brand new wood. They spent a LOT of money building the giant aging tank with rare wood, it's gonna be in use for a while.

Now drinking 3 Philosophers.

I am drinking a beer. Too exhausted to actually get up and louche up. Man, I can't wait til my concert is over!!! Only 3 days away! Check out my project that has been keeping me away from society: www.punkrockpicnic.com

I actually found a liquor store that stocks Arak Ayoub! So I had to buy me some, and then of course I had to drink me some tonight...

Seems sweeter than Razzouk, I think I may prefer my Metaxa Ouzo to this, which seems dryer though less anisey.

Hey AD, is that you on the voice-over?

Enjoying a variety of smoky malts. Laphroaig 10, Talisker 10, and Lagavulin 16.

It's rotten that the game is on so late here. Grand slam by Carlos Quentin and it's difficult not to triumphantly scream until I'm hoarse.

VdF. With honey from one of my father's hives.

Wow, I never thought of honey as a sweetener with absinthe. Has anyone else tried this?

Yeah, I am guilty of doing this, back in the day when I drank scarier, bitter absinthe. Agave nectar worked pretty well too.

Now I just drink stuff I don't see the need to sweeten. :no-czechs3:

tonight it was Lucid followed by the usual Guinness.

A very nice bottle of dark homebrew before bed, last night.

I wasn't told what style it was brewed in, but it seemed reminiscent of a few scotch ales I've tried in the last couple of years...chocolately, with some caramel, a dash of peatiness ( at least my palate interpreted it as peat, hell it could have been coriander, for all I know! :devil: :) ), and a slight sourness in the finish, which dried the beer out nicely.

Avery Karma & Sierra Nevada Harvest '08 release last night.

Karma is a unique take. Little less body than I was expecting, but very smooth and drinkable. Good dark fruit and floral notes, beautiful color (though more like an IPA than a Belgian). The low abv makes this a good session for somebody who craves dubbels and tripels.

The Harvest isn't as good as last year. Doesn't seem to have as much of that "fruity" fresh hop profile as last year, perhaps due to the hop shortage. Still good though, but more like just a smooth, toned-down IPA and just doesn't standout as much.

Well, well, well.

It all makes sense now. I didn't remember seeing "Southern Hemisphere" on the bottle from last year.

I can't wait for the Chico, and the Original is the super fruity one.

( at least my palate interpreted it as peat, hell it could have been coriander, for all I know! :devil: :) ),.

Don't you watch House, MD? It's never the coriander, or lupus even. ;)

Had a whiff of the Sirene tonight, smelled too much like gin for some damn reason, so I continued my reach and ended up with the Jade VS again. I think all that cork in it made it bitterer.