DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

And that goes for any of you fine folks with a reason to come through the Raleigh area.

Tonight, La Valote Martin72% and a Saison Brune that i brewed last summer.

Angelique Verte 72, ick, macerated A.a. i'm glad this is a very small bottle.

Irish ale brewed 3 1/2 weeks ago, coming along very well, nice accent from the honey I added.

Belle Amie to finish the night.

a glass of ruby port while I do my dj set in SL.

After the Taylor Fladgate Reserve Porto incident a couple weeks ago, I think I'll stay away from Port.

Behemoth Barley Wine. This was made by three fellows, all of whom were named Floyd. Imagine that for a moment while you rage in jealousy about the fact that I get to drink this beautiful drinking while nobody else does.

Imagine that for a moment while you rage in jealousy about the fact that I get to drink this beautiful drinking while nobody else does.

No green envy here, as I slowly sip, and savor my magnum of 1998 Olde Curmudgeon from one fine fellow named Arlen, ex-brewmaster at La Conner. I'll wager that far fewer people are drinking this on any given night, especially since Arlen's attitude toward his amazing barleywine was echoed in his oft used miserly phrase, "Mine, mine, all mine!!! :devil:

This nectar is my chaser for a bottle of Honeymoon Reserve Mead Batch No. 1, which has dried remarkably over the past two years, and is redolent with vanilla, and oak, and has a finish like a very fine oleroso sherry.

A friend stopped by, we ended up sharing over half of a .5 liter bottle of verte suisse. Very nice, and the company was well worth the absinthe.

BaKa!
Kiss or kick?

Behemoth Barley Wine. This was made by three fellows, all of whom were named Floyd. Imagine that for a moment while you rage in jealousy about the fact that I get to drink this beautiful drinking while nobody else does.
There's a tear in my beer.

Kiss or kick?

The former,

for reasons better left unexplained.

Had some Gumballhead tuesday night,

real interesting I liked it a lot,

though it's hoppiness was a bit much for a true wheat beer,

which I know was the point.

Body is a bit lighter than some BWs.

I don't think it is as malty/sweet as Old Foghorn.

It is not near as hop assertive as Arrogant Bastard. I got burnt out on drinking AB after a while and don't really care if I drink it again or not.

I didn't care for it the first (and last) time I struggled through one. I thought Double Bastard was pretty good, at first, until I realized that was only in comparison to AB.

With a couple of exeptions, I think Stone beers are vastly overrated, and the only thing Greg Koch has to be arrogant about is how readily too many people buy into his hype.

With a toast to Bluescat, Sonny Mann and MTGrayling, we're starting our evening with a Bluecoat Gin Martini. Now, that's pretty darn good! :cheers:

:cheers: to you both, T & M. Been so busy here-nice to relax a bit. Local tapas bar here has another we use it for: a Blue Sapphire Martini-they use Sapphire gin (but Bluecoat is super) with a little Blue Curacao and a little Chambourd. Oh my-those are tasty. I'm thinking one would be good so I can toast you back! :wave2:

Well....the martini changed to a Marteau after reading Hiram's interview. Cheers!

I've got three unknown beers setting on the workbench in the garage at about 51F. Tasting starts at 10pm eastern time.

Is it 10 o'clock yet?

Is it 10 o'clock yet?

Started with a 2001 bottle of Hanssen's Oude Gueuze which had lost just a wee bit of its original super-tart rhubarb character, to allow a myriad of additional flavors to come to the foreground. Among these were orange zest, sour cherry,key lime,leather, coriander, apricot, kumquat, and the finish was mostly very dry sherry. This was the best bottle of lambic I've tasted, topped only by the similar (but not technically a lambic) Saison de Pipaix.

The second course was a 2002 bottle of Fantome Babilard Dark, which featured chocolate, yeasty pumpernickle black pepper, a dash of triple sec, raisins, figs, and a bit of brown sugar in the palate.

Speaking of palates, mine's pretty much shot for the day. :)