DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Half barrel of Ballantine IPA clone fermenting in an open fermenter.

Man, you got that O.G. right on the money, as I remember it.

I was always curious what type of oak Ballantine used, but I assumed it was American.

French oak chips sound like they would work really well, though, particularly with the addition of the somewhat perfumy Brewer's Gold hop.

I've been a big fan of JM&R since they opened up. The Smoky Peaty one is good, but actually not as peaty as I was hoping. But I like the entire line.

Compass Box is another interesting line. Their Oranjerie is great for the holidays.

I just made my second Pisco Sour for the day.

(And, I think this thread is a bit time'centric... and judgemental! Who decided it was for NIGHTtime drinks, anyway? :) )

Just got back from Chicago. I've missed that city. Except for the blasted cold! Good lord, who settles in the middle of a frozen swamp?

Brought some Floyd's back with me, which I think I may indulge in just about now. A bottle of Gumballhead Wheat Beer.

As for the horror show, it turned out to be a lot less interactive than I thought it would be, but there are some really nice elements in it that are fun and silly and one or two scenes that are more than a little disturbing to watch. I was with the company the first time they mounted this show, and I remember that the end was something of a sucker punch. Even knowing it was coming, I found it to be a bit of one this time, too.

Anyway, Chicago folks who feel like seeing it, PM me and I'll pass on the details.

Not one of my favorite Unibroue offerings.

It tasted like a rather thin-bodied Dunkelweizen to me, but it is more of a session ale than some other Unibroues.

Not one of my favorite Unibroue offerings.

It tasted like a rather thin-bodied Dunkelweizen to me, but it is more of a session ale than some other Unibroues.

I don't know, I can make a session out of any of their bombers.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is a session beer? I've heard the term thrown around, and I'm never exactly sure what it means, other than a relatively low abv.

Yup.

I've got a mild that is 3.1% and a Rasberry Saison that is around 2.8% that both qualify as Session beers.

My English Pale Ale is around 4.7% and a little more difficult to handle if you are into your cups. I think my Belgian Single (actually four of them) are around 5.4% and from there they really start going up.

St. George.

Nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to get political here but I couldn't help it.

Until tonight, I haven't had any Absinthe in a couple of weeks!

A glass of Ridge Verte is really tasty tonight!

... and so is the Blanche :blush:

:cheers:

I picked up a couple of Raison D'Extras while I was in Chicago (among other delicious pieces of wonderful beerness (thank whatever maker you believe in (or don't) for Three Floyd's) that are now gracing my aging shelf), and I'm drinking one of them now. Not a giant fan, I must say. It's not bad, but the extra raisons in it make it a bit cloying.

I picked up a couple of Raison D'Extras while I was in Chicago... It's not bad, but the extra raisons in it make it a bit cloying.

The original version was probably the most over-the-top residually sweet beer I've ever tasted. I was actually amazed how much drier the second batch was, to the point where I really enjoyed a full bomber of it.

However, I agree, it could stand to be drier still.

I tend to fall back on uisce when the Absinthe (or the wallet) runs dry...

Perfect Manhattan:

2 oz. Bourbon

1/2 oz. Sweet Vermouth

1/2 oz. Dry Vermouth

coupla dashes of Angostura bitters

...shaken with ice, served in a martini glass with a maraschino cherry...

Hadn't had one of these before tonight, even though the Manhattan is one of my regular bar-order favorites. I gather that "Perfect" in the name signifies a 50:50 ratio of sweet & dry vermouth. Very nice - always kinda thought regular Manhattans (which are all Sweet Vermouth and no Dry) tended to be a bit on the sweet side.

Apparently, some people say that the PM should have a twist in lieu of a cherry, but, sorry... gotta have the cherry. 'Taint a Manhattan without it, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I gotta maintain my technique, on the off chance that I ever run into Meg Ryan. ;-)

What's even better, though, ("more perfect"?)* than what I'm drinkin', is what's on the iPod at the moment:

Putumayo Presents: Brazilian Groove

Damn! If I had some cachaça, I could be drinking a caipirinho right now!

Até logo!

* "Perfecter"? It just occurred to me that "Dumb and Dumberer" can be at least partially blamed on Thomas Jefferson. He was a bright guy, but I kinda bothers me that the document upon which our country was founded contains such a glaring misuse of the English language. He probably would have approved of "Think Different," too!

Decided to give Lucid a second try. Bought two bottles a few months ago when Binny's had them for $23 a bottle by mistake. Tried it the first day it came and hated it. I must say a couple months has done it some good, took away some of the alcohol bite, too bad it hasn't gotten rid of all of it yet.

It has been said so many times here, "Time is absinthe's friend." I think there is such a rush to get a product on the market, absinthe doesn't have an opportunity to get a little age under its belt. Soon, I think we may see absinthe on the market that has been aged for five years, then seven or ten years. I think absinthe is in its second infancy and the future looks pretty cool.

An absinthe tasting in Montana this evening with a really great chocolate cake for dessert. Absinthe and chocolate is not bad at all.

I picked up a bottle of Golden Grain (95%) at the liquor store today on the way home. I took 200ml and added .5gr of AP, .5gr of Melissa and .5 gr of Hissops and heated it to 50C. I let it steep for 10 minutes and then chilled it and strained it though a coffee filter and ended up with about 150ml of liquid. I added it to 300ml of Kübler. Nice, but a bit florescent. I think it is better than the Kübler by itself.

I spent several hours working on the 75 XLCH sportster (Doing a electric start conversion) and then got cleaned up.

Tonight is BABE (Big Ass Beer Exchange) night.

Nice 12% Old Ale to start off with, followed by a 11.5%Barley wine that is a bit oxidized.

Finally off to a nice English pale ale before bed.

Speaking of Lucid, they have it at the 'One Stop' (Local Liquor store) now.