DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

School's treating me well, thanks. I survived my first semester and am gearing up for the next dose, which is starting in a couple of weeks. My workshop professor sized me up like a boxing opponent when I told him I was interested in his class. It's going to be an interesting semester.

What are you studying?

I'm in an MFA program for creative writing. In my case, I'm studying fiction. At the moment, I'm trying to finish a story for a friendly bet between a friend and me. Hopefully, I'll get it done.

Wee! So my bottle of Lucid arrived today, and my boyfriend was so amused by my excitement, he decided it was cruel to make me wait a whole week.

So I cracked it open, and completely botched my louche (I couldn't get the drip down, and it turned into a plop, drizzle, drizzle, drip, plop). At first I stopped at about a 3:1 ratio, and took a sip.

I felt like my mouth got punched by an alcoholic black jelly belly...

so I watered it down some more. Unfortunately all I can taste is fennel right now. I'm assuming its because I don't generally like that flavor, so its the most prominent to me. But the after taste is really nice, so I keep wanting to take more sips... hopefully I'll get used to the anise and fennel flavor and be able to actually taste the rest of the drink. :blush:

:arrr:

Everyone has "plop, drizzle, drizzle, drip, plopped." It's part of the learning process and still probably much smarter than plunking down several hundred dollars for fountains and stuff. Initially, the heavy anise and fennel is quite a surprise to the taste buds. Like any good drink, it's at least slightly acquired. If you didn't gag and spit, you may be another victim. ;)

When I'm just by myself and I'm anxious for a drink, I tend to just plop drizzle drizzle drip plop more than I do a proper drip. I know it's not exactly kosher, but when you don't have a fountain, a cocktail shaker is a nice substitute.

I heard to use a sports bottle, with the little spout. I know how to get those to drip too. I'll probably go grab one of those from Walmart when I go to pick up the cat food I forget yesterday (doh!).

I can taste the 'rootbeer'-ness, and I remember having to get used to that flavor too... maybe I should intermittently eat vanilla ice cream while drinking this too... ;)

I'm in an MFA program for creative writing. In my case, I'm studying fiction. At the moment, I'm trying to finish a story for a friendly bet between a friend and me. Hopefully, I'll get it done.

I see plans within plans...and you behind them.

Seriously though I'll have something to talk with you about here in a few weeks.

Mmm, rootbeer. I was thinking absinthe when I clicked on this thread but now my temptations have been shifted.

Martin, you need to either come here earlier or stay around later. Good to see your happy little typescript gracing my monitor.

Just got word that the wild one is back in his room after a non-eventful surgery. Something to drink to tonight, for now just a little Moroccan-style mint tea. And then it's me and the wee one off to the hospital for a visit.

Pan Buh, I've never really thought of my typescript as particularly happy. Now Gothica sans...there's a friendly typescript. Anyway, yeah...one of these days, I'll set myself to Czech time. Glad to hear the Wild One made it through without incident.

You both better be careful, I could be getting in your time zone before you know it and showing up on your doorsteps. Wild one and all. And that goes for you, too, Brooks.

And thanks for thoughts.

This Kübler is hands down the best drink I have ever had! Yes, I am sure someone checked the time on this post... I work midnights, so this is my night-cap, I'm not going on a morning bender!

PS.. I am using a turkey baster to drip with. Works great.

Hey Pan Buh, where in Bohemia are you from? My grandmothers 100% Bohemian, but I think she's 3rd generation (her parents were from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, which apparently is where all the Czech/Bohemian/Slovakian/etc. immigrants settled). I wanna say we're from just north of Prague, but I don't really know. I rarely meet Bohemians, so I get all happy when I meet one.

I thought of getting a large eye dropper or something. A turkey baster is an excellent idea. I'm too sick to go to school or work today, but the cats are out of food... I suppose I could throw a hat on and venture a trip to Walmart...

Although I'm not a Bohemian in real life, I play a bohemian on an absinthe forum. I live north of Prague, after spending several years in the city itself. I also went to University in Iowa, just south of Cedar Rapids. Generally speaking, Americans that claim "Bohemian" roots means they left here while it was still part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Before WWI. It's kind of a linguistic marker. People who left after the establishment of Czechoslovakia identify themselves with that country, or one of its constituent parts usually. Lots of Czechs in Texas, too. Chicago. And Canada. But really, I just live here, no local heritage at all. Our closest family roots are north of here.

Ahh. Yeah I was told "Never say you're Czech. You're Bohemian... we're better than that." Plus, I keep hearing family members joke about us being "Bohunks" but I've also heard thats slightly derogatory...

I suppose given the circumstances, living in Bohemia, and being 5th generation 25% Bohemian makes us on equal terms, haha, so thats good enough for me ;)

I live north of Prague, after spending several years in the city itself. I also went to University in Iowa, just south of Cedar Rapids.

I used to live in Iowa City. Prairie Du Chien Road, I think it was called. When I was a youngling during the summers I'd ride my banana-seat bike downtown to the mall, go to the second floor Aladdin's Castle, exchange 25 pennies for a quarter, play a game of Gauntlet II or Star Wars, then spend the next hour watching other people play. Good times.....

Pernod Fils 1914. Just a couple glasses before I put it away for a rainy ass day.

Lucky bastage. One of these days I'm going to pay the piper (aka Oxygenee) and buy an entire bottle of pre-ban.... for now it's going to have to be some Edouard from my dwindling stock.

You both better be careful, I could be getting in your time zone before you know it and showing up on your doorsteps. Wild one and all. And that goes for you, too, Brooks.

post-143-1199838714.gif

Although I'm not a Bohemian in real life, I play a bohemian on an absinthe forum.

Aren't you originally from some Goddess-awful place like Western New York, even? ;)

You both better be careful, I could be getting in your time zone...

We have time zones here? I thought time was everywhere, and it might have been a uniform constant. Then how could it be divided into zones? Are these like heating zones? I'm sure if you manifest yourself here with wild and wee ones, you'll be able to explain it all to me.

I know I'll get an education then.

And I'll get to use my really neat Venetian fountain... :)

:cheers:

What the heck is going on that I've become so quote worthy? I better start watching what I say, seems everyone else is.