DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Sounds like there is some drinking going on tonight!

I know I am. It has been a very long day. A good day. A day for reflection. Hell, an evening for drinking.

T73 made a pitcher of martinis. He is getting pretty good at that. Thank goodness for spell check. And the fact that I haven't fallen down yet. I have some very fond memories associated with NO. I love it. Every time I drink it I think of baby powder. But I don't think of babies. Should I insert the drunken emoticon now? Cheers to all! :dev-cheers:

A side-by-side tasting of Roquette and Marteau.

Despite the use of pre-commercialization herbs in both, these are obviously two different beasties...

The Roquette is heavier on the melissa, while the Marteau relies more on the coriander, which is not surprising since it seems to be a Matter house favorite (and also a personal favorite).

The Marteau has the creamier louche, but the Roquette might edge it out in complexity, and has a bit more wormwood in the finish.

As far as pure yumminess goes...it's really a toss-up...there is something about the Roquette that tastes more traditionally absinthe-like, but that makes perfect sense when you consider that it's taken directly from an early recipe, while the Marteau pays homage to early recipes, but is also designed as a mixer for Belle Epoque cocktails.

My pick of the night...

Too close to call, they're both absolutely delicious! :thumbup:

Huh? The Yale Law Library, complete edition of English and American Laws from 1660 through 1957, with appendices for each year thereafter? You have funny loves baubel.

I'll take that absinthe please. :)

Actually, it's the Harvard Classics, also called the '5 foot shelf of knowledge'. :thumbup: It's a First Edition set from 1909. I even got the 51st volume, which is a compilation of lectures on the subjects in the volumes. And yes, it is a love of mine to open up one and read through the treasures within, while sipping on some green stuff.

My gift to Beckett will be getting him a set from the Easton Press. He'll have them all read by the time he graduates high school. :cheers:

I definitely am not one to knock knoweldge. I was just making a little funny given the nice neat row of books. My bookcases tend not to have a space left for setting a glass, and they aren't neat.

You'd laugh at my bookcases.

I have the greatest respect for you, your knowledge and your taste. To you, Beckett, and Mom.

:cheers:

More Mystique, and Roquette tonight onacuz I'm disappointed that Ma Belle Amie hasn't arrived yet.

Okay, that's a blatant lie given how incredibly fond I am of the M & R, but sometimes prevarication is just fun. B)

I like the new avatar. Two great loves, together again.
Definitely. Such a beautiful collection. Tactile and visual art combined with the art that is absinthe.

T73 makes a nice martini. Stirred. I prefer mine with a twist and a small plate of almond stuffed olives on the side.

Now I'm sipping my CLB ever so slowly. It is a treasure that I measure out every so often. :cheers:

Chasing a bottle of 'tussin with a couple Lucids. This cough has got to go. Waitaminit. I think I'm getting secondaries!

I know it's not very glamorous, but I'm looking to get the proper ratio of sugar/water with my new American Friends, Lucid und Kübler. I keep going back and forth preferring one over the other depending on the ratios. Hmm...

I just took a small taste of my first glass of Belle Amie, and I'm in Absinthe Nirvana, and, honestly, complete shock...

It has the same golden feuille mort as the PF 1914, almost the same incredibly complex herbal/floral/spicy nose neat, and louched, and a similar color louched with just a tinge more amber.

The taste is colossal, with anise, wormwood, fennel, hyssop, coriander, and perhaps cardamom...huge, and luxurious, almost like a Berger...this is the quintessential cigar-lovers absinthe!

The mouthfeel is perhaps a shade less full than its preban counterparts, but only marginally.

Of course, I'll post a full review in a while, but for now I'm just letting it chill a bit, although I'm practically shaking with delightful anticipation!

P.S....

I was only kidding, it suxxxbalz™ so don't you mofos go rushin' to those keybords to order any onacuz I want it all for ME!!!!!!!! :devil:

I should be getting my bottles on Monday. Now I'm very eager to try the Belle Amie, not to mention impatient. Your description has me absolutely Jonesing to try it Absomphe. Sounds delightful.

I just polished off a bottle of a nice little brut rose Cava. Deelish! Now we're starting on a bottle of Parducci Pinot Noir.

With a nice buzz going, I just pulled the trigger on a order of absinthe. Because of Absomphe's stellar review, I picked up some Belle Amie, a bottle of the Mystique, and a Mansinthe only because it was the cheapest of the remaining offerings I have not yet tried. I had originally wanted to do a BDF/VDF combo, but they're out of VDF! I'm destined to never try VDF it seems. Oh well. I also did the Mansinthe on behalf of some wine friends who are hard core MM fans, who will get a kick out of it at our holiday gathering in a few weeks. It's my Xmas gift to myself I suppose. :cheers:

Now I'm off to hook up the DVD player downstairs so we can watch The Thin Man. I can't remember whether I have to run the DVD through the DTV or the other way round. :g:

The Thin Man is a great movie, I own it as well. I love classic films. I just watched The Bicycle Thief yesterday evening, another one of my favorites.

In the spirit of the Rend Fou discussion, I poured myself a glass of Lucid that was opened the week it was released and has been aging since. You know, it aint half bad now. Still a little heavy in areas, but aging has done it justice.

Actually, it's the Harvard Classics, also called the '5 foot shelf of knowledge'. :thumbup: It's a First Edition set from 1909. I even got the 51st volume, which is a compilation of lectures on the subjects in the volumes. And yes, it is a love of mine to open up one and read through the treasures within, while sipping on some green stuff.

I thought I recognized the "Veritas" herald/coat-of-arms/what-have-you in the middle, but I wasn't sure. It's a nice set. I don't think I've ever seen a complete one, just parts at the good bookstore here in town. When I win the lottery I might think about getting a set. Hopefully by then I'll have learned to quit making notes in my books.

tonight is the last of the Kübler, I guess I need more.

Its not overbearing and I can think about the coming storm a little (read "not a lot" here) better that I can with other varieties.

Lucid is much better with a bit of time behind it. So I try and wait.

While I might prefer 1901 and Edouard.. I do not pefer paying more in shipping than I do for the shipment itself ;)

I want to try something red. Any recommendations??