DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I've just finished a measure of Remy Martin VSOP with a splash of water warmed over another snifter of steaming water. I'm not sure which was more satisfying, the aroma or the taste. We have a winter storm rolling in. I think I need to take a walk.

Baubel and Daniel, you are both welcome in our home at any time. You are good people. :cheers:

Tonight I tried the Old Peculiar again with dinner. This time it was much like Absomphe described it, except that the finish was quite sweet instead of dry. The head was also far fuller... to a fault even. One extreme or the other I suppose. Anyway, now I think that the first bottle was just bad because this one was a lot different in character.

The evening has been a delight with The Dalmore 12, Glenmorangie 10, and The Macallan 12.

Baubel and Daniel, you are both welcome in our home at any time. You are good people.

Extraordinary people! We won't see you guys again soon enough. Please save your pennies for NOLA. And don't forget the wedding in March!

Post Scriptum: Thank you again for the Plymouth. You are gentleman, indeed. :cheers: Someday, we hope you visit when our lives aren't going 90 miles an hour and we can be proper hosts.

The evening has been a delight with The Dalmore 12, Glenmorangie 10, and The Macallan 12.

Next time we meet I'll try to bring a bottle of Tuthilltown Rye Whiskey for you. Rye whiskey was apparently the whiskey prescribed for the Manhattan.

A 375 ml bottle is $45 at Park Ave. And I thought absinthe was expensive. :twitchsmile:

My goodness!

Rye is one type of whiskey I haven't explored much yet, since the ABC only allows one kind in the state... Jim Beam Rye. I've gotten to taste a couple of brands sporadically. I'd love to try that one.

Tonight I tried the Old Peculiar again with dinner. This time it was much like Absomphe described it, except that the finish was quite sweet instead of dry.

I think today I would find the finish much sweeter, as well. I think would have a lot to do with the much hoppier profile of so many of today's craft brews.

I recently read about that Tuthilltown Rye Whiskey.......it is supposedly New York's first legal rye since Prohibition.

New York's only whiskey distillery. Well legal one, I guess.

In 1825 there were 1000 distilleries in NY. After Prohibition, zero.

With NY's new Farm Distillery Law there may well be more. But so far seems like most are doing fruit brandies and the like.

The liquids that have been through me today are:

1.Coffee

2.Coffee

3.Pomegranate/Blueberry juice

4.Duplais Verte

5.Duplais Verte

6.Duplais Verte

7.Merlot

8.Water

9.Guinness

10.Chartreuse

11.Chartreuse

12. Lisa

13.Duplais Verte

T and Maggie-

Thanks, you're both too kind :wub:. You guys were more than proper hosts-both times we've been up there. One of these days we'll be proper guests and won't drop by so unexpectedly. The absinthes and the St. Germain were great!

The liquids that have been through me today are:

12. Lisa

:thumbup:

Sneaky, but very little gets past this waggin' appendage. ;) :cheers:

Tonight I tried the Old Peculiar again with dinner. This time it was much like Absomphe described it, except that the finish was quite sweet instead of dry.

Theakston's one of my favorites, but one of the things I've noticed about it is that it varies widely from bottle to bottle. I've had the exact same experience where it is sometimes a very sweet and malty brew on one evening, and the next it's drier.

I've got four bottles left. I like it but I'm not in a hurry to drink it often. We'll see how they fare.

Drinking US K53 tonight. Then after dinner it's single malt time.

Hey, Ubu! Good to "see" you.

I'm having a glass of Torbreck Woodcutters shiraz from the Barossa Valley in Australia. Very nice way to get settled in after getting home from Dallas.

Hey there neglected but not forgotten people.

I was talking to a friend at work today. He said he had met and spoken with a girl who had lived for many years in Spain.

He had his bottle of Kübler with him and she showed him how they drink it there.

Sugar cube on spoon, pour desired amount of absinthe over the cube and into the glass, light the cube and stir in the caramelized sugar (after the fire goes out) and then sip this mixture. Sounds more like a liqueur.

I don't want to try this but he said he really liked it this way. I haven't really read any Spanish custom thingys. Have you?

Most definitely NOT the prevalent way of drinking absinthe in Spain. It's become popular (in some of the crazier nightclubs in Madrid, and in one specific bar in the Bohemian section of Barcelona) to flame and such but in most traditional atmospheres, it's watered.

In the years that I lived there (97-00), I never saw it flamed. I only saw it flamed once while I was back there on travel, and that was in 04 or 05 in a shot bar called Tattoo. The bar was frikking INSANE, but that's a different story for a different thread. ;)

Weekend was a blast. The Night Terror (Delirium Tremens Clone) was a real hit.

Lots of really neat stuff went on. I saw a fully restored 1945 Indian Chief, two Harley Davidson Flatheads running in races (1600cc in the 1000cc class because they were side valve engines) and lots of other vehicles.

Link to photos here because they are HUGE.

http://www.mirageport.com/gimp/2007_10_20/

We had Venison brats for lunch Saturday, and ham for dinner.

It was a great weekend (check out the sky, white puffy clouds and clear blue sky).

#2187 Flathead 8 restored and trying to take the old record.

#2188-2190 fully restored Indian Chief (not racing, just there).

#2191-2192 Flathead Harley Davidsons running for speed records.

One of the coups broke the 200mph record and set a new world speed record for the class while I was there, I missed getting a pix of it.

#2212 is a 500cc BSA with turbo and nitrous that hit 90+mph.

What a weekend.