DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Tonight it's K53 while making dinner, Tozai Well of Wisdom Sake after dinner, and probably an Old Fashioned in a little while.

Dan has informed me that we now have one bottle of green and one bottle of yellow. I'll enjoy some shortly. :yahoo:

The V.E.P will have to wait a little longer for us though.

Dan and I tried some green Chartreuse tonight. We had to go to three different bars to do it though, and when we finally found a bar that had it the bartender was surprised that we wanted to try a shot of it neat. He said "Oh you want to hurt." It wasn't unpleasant at all, and didn't really taste like anything I've had before. I thought it was almost what Herbsaint was trying to be.

I tried it that way at the Eiffel Tower in Vegas last week, alternating with my Ricard over dinner. The overall effect was mesmerizing, but I wonder if many people drink Chartreuse that way. Made my steak taste a bit different, that's for sure!

I bought a bottle way back when while living in NOLA. Drank it over ice with some coke. Over and over again until the sun came up. :twitchsmile:

I had one yellow and one green on the rocks. They were both excellent! Dan tried some green in some hot chocolate which was nice, (but if you ask me not enough green!). I then had a little yellow with a little cola and that was phenomenal! :cheers:

Glad you like it! Watch out for the cola as it, ahem, does keep one up all night. :devil:

By morning, should you be obliged to ever enjoy this combination "power punch", you might find yourself on the wrong end of a TKO. Just be careful, allz I'm sayin'.

I was being careful of that left-right, and only had a little bit. I was mostly concerned that I wouldn't like it and ruin some very nice (and expensive) graduated beverage.

Had Sierra's 11th Anniversary Harvest Ale yesterday. WOW!

I'm not a hophead per say, but this was really good. Although it's bright like an IPA, the freshness of the green hops is really different as described and is conveyed as a more fruity-floral taste than just puckering-bitter. Reminds me of the hop flavor I pick up in the St Germain.

For a more "tuned down" taste, try Abita Restoration Ale. Although not an IPA, it has the same hoppiness, still clean and not as much and cheap too. Could be a session for sure. I heard they plan on continuing the brew since the Katrina campaign was so successful. I hope so.

A Hendricks Gibson. With a very judicious few drops of absinthe.

For me it's just not Blackwood's. Quality, undoubtedly, but not my go-to standard. And now it's even available here, so I may have to educate my palate.

Yeah, yeah, I know, try it with a cucumber slice.

I'm not a hophead per say, but this was really good. Although it's bright like an IPA, the freshness of the green hops is really different as described and is conveyed as a more fruity-floral taste than just puckering-bitter.

Most of the Cascade "single hop" ales I've tried convey that fruity-floral quality...it's more of an aromatic rather than a bittering hop, but if you add enough of them to the brew kettle, they really impact in a pleasingly assertive way on the palate.

Miller's and tonic with a Cucumber slice. Blackwoods huh? I may have to track down a bottle.

Does anyone know what a Martini with a small pickled greek hot pepper as a garnish is called? I've been calling them damn good.

I should have waited to review it until after I'd had it a few days. I tried it again today and it was better. It opened up a lot. It would possibly get a better score from me now.

I like it better than the last time I had the Euro release.

[Most of the Cascade "single hop" ales I've tried convey that fruity-floral quality...it's more of an aromatic rather than a bittering hop, but if you add enough of them to the brew kettle, they really impact in a pleasingly assertive way on the palate.

Then I guess that makes it a hip hop, doesn't it?

Fornicator Dopplebock. The stuff is a clone of something, I forget what. I put it together, watched over it and gave it kind words of encouragement. It works!

The label indicates it is for expeditious removal of undergarments. OK, so that part didn't do so well. ;)

:cheers:

Tonight was a gathering of myself and four friends to sip on some 1910 Pernod Fils. It was wonderful stuff, easily the most mellow, smooth, and balanced absinthe I've had. Surprisingly, though, the true wealth I got from it is the realisation of how close some of what we have nowadays is, taking into account the benefit of aging the Pernod has had.

I would have taken photos but my normally crappy camera became the very pinnacle of crap when it wouldn't even turn on.

It was a very nice evening that made me almost forget about a horrifying day in which a large Coca-cola syrup bag for the fountain at work came out of its box, fell and tore on the CO2 canisters, spilled all over the floor, and then poured all over me and saturated my shoes and socks when I tried to disconnect it from the machine to get rid of it. Almost but not quite.

Shabba's got a new baby. Elfn's got a new Floyd's trader. You go away for a couple of months and the world just keeps shifting itself around.

Congrats to both of you (but mostly to Shabba).

It was such a beautiful day here yesterday, I played hooky from work and did a pub crawl through Laguna Beach. Nice. Tonight however, I am the designated driver for a trip to Hollywood for a show. How I got to be the designated driver, I have no idea. I am sure I can manage a little something green after I get there, though. I will have plenty of time to let it burn through my system.