DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

started with a few beers Labatt blue then went to Vodka martinis extra dirty. Tomorrow i will hot the 24 year old papy van winkle bourbon and a bonfire weather permitting

Just some marginal Pinot Noir last night. Haven't had absinthe since early August so shoot me down!

Glad to see everyone still doing their thing! :cheers:

MPC, glad to see you around! :cheers: Why no absinthe lately?

Last night for yours truly: Duplais blanche, CLB, Lucid and a Duplais verte. I really do enjoy the Lucid even more as it ages.

Try it with Aloe juice too. SO GOOD!

Really?

The Aloe juice you can get at the natural grocery is enjoyable to drink?

I guess I've been curious about it, never seen it used in a mixed drink, though.

What does it taste like?

~Erik

I really love it. I drink it all the time. You can normally find it in the international foods sections of most grocery stores.

It's great to drink by itself, but it works well in many cocktails too.

It's got a very pleasant, light flavor, similar to a mixture of lychee and pear.

Aloe_Vera_Juice.jpg

Thanks Shabba!

I'll keep a look out for that stuff.

The ones I've seen are usually more in the vitamins and herbal extracts section of the store and I don't think a beverage, per se.

~Erik

If you have an asian market anywhere near you, every one I've ever been in stocks it. I count myself as lucky. There's got to be over a hundred asian markets within a 10 mile radius of my house.

MPC, glad to see you around! :cheers: Why no absinthe lately?

I never thought I'd be so busy with work to not have some fun on the side but, alas, this gig in Houston has proven otherwise. No excuse, I know, but I really am that busy!

LSU JUST WON! YAYE!

Anyway, I digressessesseess.

Hello MPC :wave2:

The Lambic was tasty! :thumbup: I am giving my raspberry pyment a taste now.

Been into the cocktails lately .... mainly as a result of finally getting over to the Zig Zag Cafe in Seattle and having bartender Murray wow me. Anyway, tonight was all Negroni .... trying it with three different gins: Plymouth, Bluecoat, and Tanqueray. Plymouth was too subtle, and Tanqueray was too busy. The winner was Bluecoat, which held up to the Compari wonderfully.

Chilled Ciroc, White Star brut campagne, muddled blackberries and raspberries. A touch (1tsp) of N.O. with it.

I split a bottle of mavrodaphne prior to this with my date.

Hog Heaven Barleywine-Style Ale.

Very citrus- hoppy, but plenty of candy-like malt for balance.

Nice stuff, and definitely the best brew from Avery!

What did I drink last night? A simple Clb followed by a Brevans, followed by a simple Clb - while observing Antonioni's Blow Up, which I hadn't seen in ages. An excellent pairing. I find myself using less sugar now - I generally toss the sugar after it's melted halfway or so. I'm gearing up for an order from DrinkupNY for a Lucid/Kübler combo. Only this time I'll drive down to WA and pick it up, thus outsmarting the pesky Canada Border Services pests.

ha!

I finally sprung for the Maraschino and Chartreuse yesterday so it was Last Words for me. Dang, that is one yummmmmmmmy cocktail!!

I also tried Lars' Pimm's Cup variation which was good although the Maraschino and Pama (even in their very small amounts) tended to mask the flavor of the Pimm's which, for me, is the point of the drink. Nice flavors though.

Sorry gang. Yeah, it's certainly different, and my own (admittedly contemporary and 'less British) interpretation.

For what it is though, I am glad you like it. Perhaps I'll come up with it's own name for it.

Dan and I tried some green Chartreuse tonight. We had to go to three different bars to do it though, and when we finally found a bar that had it the bartender was surprised that we wanted to try a shot of it neat. He said "Oh you want to hurt." It wasn't unpleasant at all, and didn't really taste like anything I've had before. I thought it was almost what Herbsaint was trying to be.

Yeah, it was awesome. I find it sort of hilarious that the two high-end Italian bars we went to didn't have it, but the Monte Vista Fire Station restaurant/sports bar did.

I had had a strange dream about it a couple nights ago, and it tasted about as I had dreamt it (well, a bit sharper), but I couldn't quite identify it otherwise. It's like a sweet rather than salty Herbsaint, but much more pleasant. The only thing I could really think of to compare it to with my extremely limited drinking vocabulary was Jägermeister, and it was a couple thousand times better than that stuff (which I kind of like, in a medicine-y kind of way).

In wanting of some more green Chartreuse, I'm having a bit of Herbsaint. It just isn't the same. :3869-sadbanana:

Now the issue of spending $50 on Chartreuse or Kübler. :blowup:

You guys really need to track down a bottle of the Chartreuse V.E.P. (aged 12 years in oak)...it'll probably run you $80 more than the regular, but if you really like the regular, it'll be worth it, at least once.

That is a great price on the VEP, Peridot!

I used to buy it in NYC for $72 a bottle (late '90s) but the last time I did an internet search for it, the best price I could find was $140.

True. When I order from SV I always order in bulk. It's easy to do, though. They have so much stuff that I want. With a bulk order it ends up cheaper per bottle after shipping even for stuff I can get at the local ABC store.