DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I need to empty these bottles so my wife can make candle holders for Christmas......you know it's just around the corner. :devil:

The neighborhood Walgreens already has trinkety tripe for christmas. I think Lewis Black had something to say about that, so I won't add anything more.

T- I'd rather just add a gallon of virgin and a trapeze.

That's all I'll say on that too.

A handful of Newcastle Brown Ales (I don't care what cool stuff I sample I keep enjoying this stuff - it's near perfection) and some Iron & Wine before rehearsal.

I wish I could write stuff like Iron & Wine and Damian Rice. It's so simple and profound at the same time. Poetry.

We're drinking some of that wonderful whiskey you gave us after seeing the Dropkick Murphy's tonight. Great show.

Glad you're enjoying it. :cheers:

After a long week in corporate America, it's been a 1901, 1/2 bottle of The Heretic Petite Syrah, and I'm about to go for a gin and tonic, probably with Plymouth.

Shai, I agree with you on the New Castle beer. It is a favorite of mine. And I will be giving the Gin and Pink a try soon.

Shabba, are you really having Durian fruit? Isn't that the spiny fruit that is forbidden from some areas in Asia due to the rotting meat smell? I'm curious to hear your take on the scent and flavor of this exotic offering.

We've got a market here that sells them. Supposedly freezing oppresses the smell. A Vietnamese restaurant here in town also serves durian shakes, which a friend of mine and roommate of Dan's tried. What Dan said was that it tastes fine as long as no smell gets out. Hence, enclosed shake container.

Shabba, are you really having Durian fruit? Isn't that the spiny fruit that is forbidden from some areas in Asia due to the rotting meat smell?

Why yes! Yes it is! And yes I am. :cheers:

IMAGE_00084.jpg

I'm curious to hear your take on the scent and flavor of this exotic offering.

It's really difficult to describe, since it's so unique. It certainly is stinky. The best I can come up with is 'tangy onions'. Kind of a cross between a citrus tang with the underlying oniony scent.

As for the flavor, it's almost impossible to describe accurately. I'm heading to bed now, but I'll write more about it tomorrow.

As per usual this time of year, I've been off to Lost Wages all week, but....The Box Came! In other words, monkeys have deposited 3 bottles from LdF, Jades all, and I'm Happy Tonight! (having Eddy now, grinning again).

Sounds really great Speedle! I'd be jealous but I got a bottle of Eddy waiting for me anytime.

Tonight I had some plum brandy, some excellent peach liqueur, and now I'm having some scumi shiraz wine. Dan and I just finished watching the movies Free Enterprise and Dreams in the Witch House , the Stuart Gordon Masters of Horror episode. A nice evening I must say, but "that's what happens when you travel through time and space."

Original Martini, Classic Martini, T73 made a Magic Hour, and he's in the process right now of making a Pimm's Cup. I ain't driving anywhere.

Right now, I'm finishing my glass of Rodenbach's Grand Cru, which is the sourest damn beer I have *ever* had the pleasure of tasting. It just curls everything with nerve endings attached on the way down to your stomach. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy it, I just feel like I should be drinking it with a group of orange-robed monks, perhaps at a rave. Why the rave makes sense, I don't know.

It just does.

Your description of Rodenbach's is incredible, Silent!

I visited my aunt today who is celebrating her 40th birthday. It was a great, because my other aunt flew in from Sacramento, CA. :yahoo:

Now, I am home relaxing drinking some Chartreuse. :cheers:

So, here I sit, just finished a Rogue Shakespeare Stout. My first ever and after the initial shock I enjoyed it.

Now I'm nursing a peppermint colored verte. They are just so cute and sweet at this age. Precious and I sipped some pink wine for lunch. She bought it so I felt like I should be the nice guy and help her get rid of it. :devil:

Cheers! ya'll :)

What a pleasant evening! A cocktail party of eight.

Following DrinkBoy's recommendation on a totally different thread, we started with:

Glasses of Absinthe.

An original martini (very nice but a bit sweet for me).

A classic martini (my second favorite drink)

The Last Word

St. Germain and soda

Pimm's Cup

And interspersed it all with Duval and Rodenbach.

Lots of noshing between drinks, including a big pot of roasted peppers, onions and Italian sausage in a spicy red sauce.

:cheers:

I had to leave a bit early to take care of the new granddaughter. :yahoo:

I'd say that's reason to leave! :thumbup:

Thought I'd dive into this place tonight with a glass of something green. Not the best I've ever had, of course, but this poison's something beloved to me, and a good glass is what the doctor called for to help me celebrate finishing a few weeks of school. Crazy how it works out when you get everything you ever asked for.

The Dark Lord is only one.

I beg to differ. Here in NYC, there are at least two dark lords. We keep them chained in a mere closet, bound in chambers not quite crystal, not quite liquid. They wait and strain at the conscience of their most reluctant devotee, who, for his part, would just as soon let at least one of them free before it drove him to madness. Alas, if only there was some abyss he could still fling one of them into. Know what I mean, Absomphe? But all the dark waters have been drunk, so for now, it's like R'lyeh around here.

Shabba, are you really having Durian fruit? Isn't that the spiny fruit that is forbidden from some areas in Asia due to the rotting meat smell?

Why yes! Yes it is! And yes I am. :cheers:

post-669-1191032289_thumb.jpg

Might I reiterate.

Now I'm nursing a peppermint colored verte.

For some reason that made me think of a candy cane. Please tell me you did not drink a red-and-white striped verte.

Okay, I need some coffee now. Faux coffee. Without any coffee in it. Feels safer that way.

So, here I sit, just finished a Rogue Shakespeare Stout. My first ever and after the initial shock I enjoyed it.

Since 1988, Rogue has released probably 150 beers, or more, and I still think Shakespeare Stout is their best effort.

As for the flavor, it's almost impossible to describe accurately. I'm heading to bed now, but I'll write more about it tomorrow.

OK, so here's the best way I can describe the Durian.

Once you cut her open, the smell changes something similar to old pumkin. You know, the smell you get about a week after Halloween, when your carved pumpkins start to get a bit gamey? That's very similar.

The flavor is so wierd. It's like a combination of papaya, celery, squash, and shallots. The sweetness is what you first taste, then you get the shallot/light sweet onion flavor in the back of the mouth. It's something that brings two distinct emotions, one of wanting to gag, but one wanting to have more. You have to keep reminding yourself that the oniony flavor isn't due to rotting, or going bad, it's just the natural flavor.

The texture is probably the strangest part. The only way to describe it is like very hard scrambled eggs, with a bit of the membraney/stringy type texture of overripe mango. It's tough to get used to.

Overall, it's not bad, but you definitely have to have an open mind when you attack it. It's something that, at first taste, I wasn't very fond of, but becomes an acquired taste.