DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I went to a fellow firefighters birthday party tonight.

We emptied a keg of some light crappy beer, among other things.

I'm trying to balance things out with a glass of Balance. :drunk:

Rogue Hazelnut Nectars, Bud, Miller Light, Lion Stout, El Tesoro Reposado, Farigoule, and skim milk
Mix well, garnish with a lemon twist and :puke:

Well, let me see...

I will begin the evening with a Nouvelle-Orléans.

Such a crystal clear green and as I add the icewater, swirling clearly at first, then slowly building

creamy louche clouds. I stop ½" short of the top. Is it underwatered? Yes, it needs a bit more water.

I fill the glass to within ¼" of the rim. I sip... and suddenly the glass is empty!

Mmmm. That was so good.

What's next? Ahhh, the Edouard.

Then some of that fine Duplais Verte.

I may finish myself off with a Mansinthe. You must try this.

I really want to know what you think of Mansinthe.

I am trying to lower the levels in these bottles equally.

And when they're nearly gone...

I have settled on part of the next four I will try.

1. PF 1901 again. That is worth revisiting now that I know some of the others.

2. Duplais Balance

3. Montmartre maybe

4. A bleue or a blanche. I can't decide. La Clandestine perhaps.

I usually stop at four or five, but I never get that out-of-control drunkenness.

My senses stay sharp, even though I would not pass a breathalyzer test, and never a hangover.

I awake feeling great the next morning.

This is amazing stuff.

Even more amazing - aren't you going to ask me how I was able to

make ½ and ¼ appear in the text of this post?

Tonight I'm having something a little odd. My parents visited Austria last week, and brought home a bottle of Absinthe Mata Hari for me as a present. (Of course they know very little about absinthe, so I really cannot blame them – their intention was good.)

On the label it says proudly that it has now an "especially high amount of wormwood" and "no anise taste", along with information that it also contains food colouring and that it's a Originalrezeptur from 1881.

I guess I suspected something much worse than it was. The smell is of wormwood, citrus, clove, a hint of cinnamon and bog myrtle, something chemical, and alcohol. No detectable anise. To my surprise it louched quite heavily (and quickly) when I added ice water. But it has absolutely no taste of anise, just as promised. :huh: Weird.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin, the taste is mostly wormwood, but – initially – not bad at all. Lacking the other qualities of a decent absinthe, foremost anise, it really cannot count as one, yet I must say I found it a somewhat refreshing drink.

...Until the aftertaste, that is. From the back of my mouth, a hitherto hidden bitterness comes sneaking, suggesting there must be macerated wormwood involved here. This bitterness grows and sits on my palate for quite some time – not overwhelming, yet making it harder and harder to drink more. When I finished the glass I really longed for... something else, anything really, to wash away this rather unpleasant sensation.

I guess this bottle will take its time before it is emptied. Fortunately, my bar cabinet is pretty full of much more attractive choices.

That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing the details of the Mata Hari experience. Very enlightening.

I know enough about Mata to not buy it, but your details are very interesting as to exactly why it isn't a good choice.

I AM intersted in what else is in your liquor cabinet.

Give me a list of your favourite absinthes.

Rogue Hazelnut Nectars, Bud, Miller Light, Lion Stout, El Tesoro Reposado, Farigoule, and skim milk

I'm not sure I can ever trust your drinking sensibilities ever again, even if you swear up and down that Dark Lord is the ultimate bomb. :tongue:

...aren't you going to ask me how I was able to

Allright, I'll bite!

By the way...

Nice night of tasting! :cheers:

Maggie, OMG_Bill, Pensieve, MTGrayling, ShaiHulud, Precious and I:

Mohawk American Pre-Ban

New bottle of Proto 31

A shit load of HGs from all the place

1914 Cache

:cheers: :cheers:

The aftermath of Saturday night.

I have identified my limits.

At first the fairies were giggling and laughing around my head. :tongue:

Sweet green kisses. Lots of delicious fun. :mbanana: Then I lost count of them after five or six. :3872-DrunkBanana:

There were a large swarm of fairies buzzing 'round my head,

and the kisses went from nibbles to biting!

By morning they were all gone and I was green!

I greeted the dawn with a Technicolor Yawn as I knelt praying to the toilet gods for mercy.

I don't think I'll try that again for a while.

Reminds me too much of high school. :no:

What a wonderful night for you all! :cheers:

You can say that again!

Tonight while the 1914 preban is still fresh in my mind a glass of Jade PF1901.

The aftermath of Saturday night.

I have identified my limits.

Regardless, it's always good to know one's limits. I myself, after the Labor Day weekend festivities, could only find the desire for one glass of Balance last night. Which, monkeys willing, will be replaced with joy and jubilation by Friday and my 3 bottles of Jade!

(edited for grammar)

We said good bye to OMG_Bill & Precious tonight. I had a couple more glasses of the P31. Silent had a taste of the 1914 Cache and a Dogfishhead Indian Brown Ale, OMG had ?...who knows what the others had!

I hope to see you again soon. :cheers:

Even more amazing - aren't you going to ask me how I was able to

How about:

Alt 0188

Alt 0189

?

½ ¼

On a Mac, open the Character Palette. Make sure "view" popup set to Roman. Select the "by Category" if it's not. Scroll to digits. Click on the happy digits.

The other digits and the Greek letters don't work. Dang.

These are from the Unicode view (Latin-1 Supplement).

¼ ¾ å

But Latin Extended-A didn't work.

ab?inthe

Also using the Font popup in the post editor, set to Arial Black for example, then find that font in the glyph table of the Character Palette. If the font has those glyphs, the table will show them.

½ ¼

Lots of eating and drinking this weekend.

Doyle came down for his final 'baby-less' weekend. We decided to focus on mostly Dunkel beers, with some porters and some El Gaitero and Magners Ciders. Did that most of Friday night, and resumed Saturday morning.

Saturday night we went for some Spanish Tapas. Normally, I don't feel the need to qualify Tapas as 'Spanish', but here in DC, there are so many new tapas places that aren't Spanish. They're all quite good, but different.

Anyway, here's what we had:

Started with a Scrumpy's Hard cider, which I really didn't care for at all. Too sweet and too flat.

Then we moved onto a Jarra of Sangria, which was really wonderful. It had a very distinctive cinnamon and nutmeg background, which, while abnormal, added a whole new depth to the drink. I think I'll add them to my next recipe.

Food:

First round:

Traditional tomato rubbed bread with Serrano ham and Manchego cheese

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with crabmeat

Traditional béchamel chicken fritters

Fritters of Serrano ham and Mushrooms

Spanish Tortilla

Garlic Shrimp

Patatas Bravas

Second round:

fritters of dates and bacon

homemade chorizo on garlic mashed potatoes

Fried potatoes with Chistorra sausage

Grilled Lambchops with peaches

Seared tuna with sesame seeds, ‘mojama’ and raisin sauce

shark 'bites' with alioli

Dessert:

Basque cake with semolina cream, cinnamon-vanilla sauce and ice milk

Chilled mixed fruit soup with berries and fresh cheese ice cream

All in all, it was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The shark and the dates/bacon fritters were my two favorites.

...copious flagons of Fiji Water and Dasani.

Thank Goddess you used the term "imbibed" rather than 'Absomphesized', or I might have been bawling like a colicky infinkt. B)

I'm not sure I can ever trust your drinking sensibilities ever again, even if you swear up and down that Dark Lord is the ultimate bomb. :tongue:

But can you tell on the timeline when I was not at home?

I've never tried a Dark Lord, but I can.

"But can you tell on the timeline when I was not at home?"

It's a tough call, but I'd say you were probably in a bar for most of it except perhaps the Dud, Spiller, and skim milk. :tongue:

As to trying the Dark Lord, if you can, I can't imagine what's holdin' you back.

Partly right, but I was at a friend's house and ran out of Nectar, hence the swill. At home I got into a little of everything, including the milk.

The Dark Lord is only one.