DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Well my Orange Bitters suck big time.

I followed this recipe:

Orange Bitters

The maceration produced a nice bitter flavor, however when I added the boiled extract it looked like some kind of weird scientific experiment gone horribly wrong. The boiled extract formed tendrils like a protein complex coagulating.

The resultant mixture was nasty bitter. Approaching Ordinaires Blunder. I suspect boiling the peels extracted way too much tannin from the bitter (seville) Oranges.

I'll try it again when I get some more dried bitter orange, but next time I'll add water for the second extraction but not boil it.

1/8tsp of the original bitter gave a nice bitter to two ounces of gin with a bit of vermouth. 1/8 tsp of the final bitter make the mix sinkable.

I can still taste the bitter after nearly three hours. :thumbdown:

Yikes! That sucks.

I haven't tried making Orange Bitters yet. I keep Regan's No. 6 and have a recipe for Regan's No. 5. I figure why make it when I've got the updated version premade.

I can't get any locally so I figured that since I already had the bitter orange from beer making I'd go ahead and try to make a batch. I'm only out a cup of Grain Alcohol and 2oz of bitter orange so WTF.

I have to order more bitter orange next time I get a brewing order together.

I got a certificate for a free yeast pack from WYeast so I'll probably order everything from Williams Brewing Supplies or BB&MB.

I've been reading on making cordials and liqueurs (since they don't require distillation) and figured it was a good start.

It's amazing how much bad information there is out on the internet.

Good God Almighty!

My suggestion would be to:

Do a shot of the Jaeger

Make a gin and tonic

Have some absinthe the good old traditional way

See, 3 drinks that way! ;)

OK so I've got some Gin, some Jager, and of course some Absinthe. Any ideas on something I can mix up involving some of those find alcohols?

Put the Jaeger in the freezer. Mix the absinthe with some water. Once you've got a nice buzz going, take some Jaeger shots, while simultaneously pouring the gin down the drain (or on the curb... for the homies...). If you can't bring yourself to do that, I'm sure you can find a bum to pass it off to.

Sorry. I LOATHE gin... otherwise, I've got no ideas.

Edit: rrrr... Speedle beat me to it!

Ha, if he were to not want to use up that Hendricks gin he could pass the bottle on over here.

Fixedspiral, do you loathe gin in general, or have you only had shitty gin? I ask because I thought I hated gin for years, until I had good gin.

Yeah FixedSpiral, next time you're down Peridot and I will pour gin down your throat till you love it, buddy!

*special thanks to Mike Tyson for the idea for this comment*

It's probably only been shitty gin. I've had it with various mixers, and I've had a dirty martini or two, which were the equivalent to sea water swill, and maybe a dry martini, which wasn't drinkable either. Never been able to drink it.

My roommate just "discovered" gin (I think we've got Bombay Dry?); I tried that, and probably won't drink it again.

Bombay's ok, but if he's "into" gin, then convince him to pick up some Tanqueray 10. It's great, and they usually come in gift boxes with an awesome glass martini shaker. It's such a deal.

At any rate, while the 10 lacks a little in overall longevity flavor-wise, it is an extremely smooth gin and will at least give you a taste of something good. Also, a good mix is gin and pink lemonade. Sounds bad but man is it good.

This is being told to the guys who substituted orange soda for the OJ in a screwdriver, used cheap vodka, and called it a crowbar. Ah... fun times.

Speaking of mixes, tried DITA with cheap spumonte a few nights ago- with Serpis, it should be called Piss in the Afternoon. Terrible stuff.

Before getting the 10 I'd suggest trying the regular. Tanqueray 10 is a pretty divisive drink and a lot of people hate it. Hendrick's is good if you like weird shit.

Speaking of mixes, tried DITA with cheap spumonte a few nights ago- with Serpis, it should be called Piss in the Afternoon. Terrible stuff.

Wow, far cry from the quality of the drinks we enjoyed at HAN II.

That's what I like, that spirit of adventures in booze. Don't know until ya try, right? :cheers:

Just stay away from Bombay Saphire, it's the "ginniest" gin I've ever had. Unless you like that sort of thing. Lots of coriander, I think. Something like that. It's all on the bottle to read about.

Love that "10", especially the bottle itself. Haven't bought any in a long time though, to many other bottles to buy.

A glass of absinthe, tonight. How 'bout that?

The lighting held together tonight although the problem isn't completely solved. There seems to be a communication breakdown between the control console and the dimmer racks. The problem is fixable but will require a visit from the installation company (at their expense). At least we have a temporary patch in place to run our shows and that's reason enough to say...

:cheers:

Just stay away from Bombay Saphire, it's the "ginniest" gin I've ever had.

Interesting. I've always heard it referred to as the "vodka lovers' gin" and "worst of the premium brands." But I can't speak from experience. Any time I've considered picking up some to try I've found something else that I'd rather have. I guess at some point I should pick up a half-sized bottle to give it a fair shake.

T, glad y'all are getting by. And that the company will pay for the repairs themselves.

T73: Glad to hear it wasn't too bad!

As for tonight, I had a glass of Serpis, and I'm going to try to convince my friend to bring over some Lucid, as I haven't tried it yet, and figured he could try my Duplais. Hopefully it'll be a somewhat itty-bitty green (and red) hour.

Oh yeah I'm finishing up with some Duplais Blanche...been drinking the Balance a lot lately so I thought I would mix it up. But yeah I figured that was worth mentioning on an Absinthe site...at least I ended on a high note.

what am I drinking? t.FG.i.f of course.

It seems that what follows may have to be released in segments as the editor will not allow me to post as many emoticons as I have chosen to utilize as plot devices.

Nice teaser! Did you work as a writer for Days of our Lives? ;)
No kidding, T! I can't wait for LL to log in today and finish the story. I am dying to hear what happens next on todays episode of "As the Louche Swirls".......

Yes, looking back at this whole episode I recognize that parts of my life do in fact read like something bored housewives might develop a morbid fascination with.

However I assure you I didn't find it very fascinating at the time nor did I recognize the semi-humorous nature of the circumstances until now that I have written some of them.

On that note

and without further adieu

Part two:

Characters

So and So B)

So and So's current and long standing love interest hence forth referred to as D:pirate:

LL:huh: aka Me

and finally

LL's former yet brief love interest, now just friend, of whom we will refer to as B:twitchsmile:

collectively referred to as The Party :b-day:

to recap we were at a dinner party.

all was well.

we ate

all was well.

we started drinking

all was well

LL:huh: just mentioned that he might need one or two hairs cut, thinking it a perfectly innocent statement of fact.

all was not well

(but LL:huh: knew nothing if this)

After some very brief discussion of what to do about this

LL:huh: stands(sits) ready to go under the knive scissors. To finally rid himself of the immense social burden that is his freaky hair.

Having stoically endured the many slights and jabs against it long enough!

and with the concurrent enthusiasm(read enebreation) of all parties present, that is to say The Party :b-day: about his liberation from the millions of tinny catastrophes that enmesh his silly head.

the "fun" begins

Enter So and So B) former love interest of LL's:huh: former love interest.B:twitchsmile: (follow?)

(scissors in hand, poised, glaring down atLL:huh: with not just a slight amount of curiosity about how someone comes to arrive at such a follicaly chaotic state of being.)

So and So B) having not only been encouraged by LL's:huh: newly acquired enthusiasm(read enebreation) but also further emboldened by (make a note)B's:twitchsmile: having gone out of his way to locate and personally hand him the the scissors necessary to carry out the operation.

So and So B) proceeds to nip.....snip......then cut.....then shear etc.

enter stage leftB:twitchsmile:

not one to be out done B:twitchsmile:

grabs the scissors out of So and So's B) hand and begins to nip....a little.....then snip a little... then a little more....then skips cutting and shearing altogether and starts to hack. great big clumps of freaky hair off of LL's:huh: silly head.