DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Wow, T., that's just awesome! :cheers:

Lucid. I tried it, it's ok.

Not that my untrained palate is any judge, I just prefer CLD and Duplais.

Weird thing though. I think it was/is the heat and seeing that UPS doesn't have AC in their delivery vans?

When I popped the cork, a visable smoke like whiff came out and I caught a faint smell of fish. Ha.

Guess I let the Genie out of the bottle.

Someone's jealous! B)

Make that two someones.

A few years back I bid on a bottle of Massachusetts-distilled pre-ban absinthe on ebay. I can't remember the name, but I think the distillery was Fox...I bid $550, but Frenchman Phil sniped it at just over $700.

From your description, I'd wager it's mellowed considerably, and was probably a bit thinner tasting, and sort of harsh in its youth. At any rate, it was almost certainly conceived as an oil mix, as I've heard most indigenous absinthes were.

Great review, T73! And what an exciting opportunity to get to try an American pre-ban. :cheers:

According to the label it is "Free from Wormwood Leaves"... Chould this claim also be seen as an indication that Mohawk is an oil mix? Or, that they used only the flowers? ;) You say it does have a strong wormwood taste, however.

I think you guys are on the mark. I believe Hiram and I are in agreement, it is probably an oil mix. Our illustrious leader may have a line on more information soon.

I will add, this one was salvaged by sheer blind luck. Fortunately, the gentleman that found the bottle had the good sense to save it instead of tossing it into a trash heap. :cheers:

I go back and forth about the oil mix part. There are yet more mysteries about this bottle to be solved. B)

If there's no wormwood—whether oil or herb—in this absinthe, I'd like to know what they used as a substitute. This is a wormwood bomb.

The thing that makes me lean toward natural herbs rather than oil mix is the color. I'd expect an artificial color to last, but this has all the appearance of a natural, albeit light, feuille mort.

I'm not betting on anything. It is very interesting and pretty darn good.

I will also point out that ...er, Hiram just made post number 10,000 on this thread! :cheers:

Some vodka, one VdT and maybe something else. Oil mixes are usually colourless AFAIR so dying them au naturel is not that bad.

Sure but if "Free of Wormwood Leaves" refers to Pontica sediment, then what about Hyssop and Melissa sediment? I think that would also raise the question, was A.a. used in the coloring step? As Hiram pointed out, it is a Wormwood Bomb and indeed, we discussed that possibility.

I'm still thinking Mohawk is a very good oil mix but I'm frequently wrong. I'm hoping Hiram's investigative powers finds some answers.

Plymouth Gin Martini. :cheers:

2 shows up. One closes Tuesday. New show on Thursday.

I'm on the downhill slide and can almost see some relaxing time very, very soon. 2 weeks and the season is over. :dev-cheers:

I'm still trying to master the Bluecoat martini. Tough work but someone must do it. A couple interesting variations tonight, one with a wedge of Nectarine that was promising, but they just aren't there yet. I think I may have to venture beyond the locally available Martini & Rossi and Noilly Prat vermouth.

Anyone have any suggestions for this unique gin and a Vermouth that is more fruity and/or citrusy than the two above?