DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Tonite a plain Duplais Balance to relax. Very hot summer evening here which will be spent in the garden.

Addendum: I continued with a scandi verte from last year. My gosh it had improved! Still green even if a bit paler and more yellowish.

I'm back in La La Land after a couple of days fishing for Salmon in Barkley Sound. Not as good as fishing as I had hoped but fun. I'm now having a Pyramid Apricot Ale & unpacking.

After a couple of false starts, we finally inaugurated our new theatre tonight. Maggie, Silent and 3 dear theatre friends toasted the evening with a fresh bottle of 1901. Nothing like a Standing-O to really help you appreciate a good glass of absinthe. ;)

It's been a very good evening. :cheers:

As I sit typing this I have a box in my lap, its kinda like christmas except I know what it is.

I think I'll have a glass of my new bottle of 1901....yeah! :thumbup:

(oohhh! spooky I just typed that before I saw your post T73.....:cheers: enjoy your 1901)

Edited by LaminarLouche

After a couple of false starts, we finally inaugurated our new theatre tonight. Maggie, Silent and 3 dear theatre friends toasted the evening with a fresh bottle of 1901. Nothing like a Standing-O to really help you appreciate a good glass of absinthe. ;)

It's been a very good evening. :cheers:

Congratulations! Was it a new summer production? I sorely miss my theatre here... only university productions and a summer Fringe Festival, plus occasional Uno (solo) performances. One has to go to Vancouver for Bard on the Beach if you need a Shakespeare fix. Tonight, a lovely Clandestine, followed up by La Valote Martin. I must get the 1901 here at any cost.

Martini for me tonight.

I just got back from my favourite liquor store. I had (among other delights) rye whiskey and peychaud's bitters in my basket. Some random guy came up behind me and correctly assumed I was fixin' to make some sazeracs. He asked me what kind of pastis I used for them. He was so thrilled when I told him I didn't. Anyways - I expect all of you who got the sazerac lesson from Doc with me to pitch in and help me whip some up on Sat. I am set. I even shined up the fountain.

At present I am louching a PF 1901.

you can call me a complete loucher if you want.

I wont be offended :cheers:

A curiosity in anticipation of HAN II.

Hey, this page is half-way to 666...

Me aswell......but for entirely different reasons :devil:

We've had a nice cool front move in and highs are projected only in the 80s for the next few days. The cool weather has also slowed the evil forest fires down, allowing the firefighters to make significant containment lines around the big fires. This is all great news!

It will almost be midnight est by the time we get home from the theatre but we will certainly raise a glass toward Atlanta. Plenty of toasts tonight for HAN II, new theatre and cool weather. :cheers:

Cool weather?

A streak of three 80 degree days is considered a heatwave in East Bumfuck.

It's been in the 60s here for days, and I'm thinking of switching back to Tom's of Maine.

Uhhgg. I had a buddy stop by and last night turned into an absinthe melee.

CLB, Jade Verte Suisse, Duplais Balance, Verte and Blanche, Eichelberger and Helfrich, were all sampled and enjoyed. :twitchsmile:

It's been a little while since I've had any absinthe...but I plan on fixing that very soon. And next week I'll be getting 1 litre bottles of Balance and Duplais Verte. But presently I'm just sitting around, waiting for the arrival of a couch.

Last night I performed the unthinkable and was forced to mix the last dregs of my ClB with a bit of Taboo, dubbed "Claboo" -a delightful concoction. I've come to realize that I can no longer tolerate oil mixes. I was afraid this would happen. That shelf will now only be occupied by Serpis 65, and only for fun and occassional candied creations like Bulpis and Cherry d'Amour (black cherry soda an S.). And now a question regarding the dream world: does anyone out there experience the same weird-ass and cinematic dreams that I sit through after an absinthe evening? I find that I get into these never-ending states that defy escape. If only I could record these fantastic flights of fancy...

Ok, here we go. I can't contain myself any longer and I can't wait any longer. By sheer chance and greater kindness, I was afforded an opportunity to taste Mohawk Absinthe. I feel incredibly fortunate to sip a small glass of this extremely rare US pre-ban absinthe.

Mohawk_1.jpg

Only a whisper of straw color remains. It smells strongly of alcohol, very much like medicine but the herbs are very present, too.

Mohawk2.jpg

The louche was slow to form initially but at 3-to-1, became very thick.

Mohawk3.jpg

At 4-to-1, it began to thin and become more opalescent than the picture suggests. It is quite good, not 1914 Cache good but still very tasty. Once louched, the aroma was pleasantly floral. The taste had ample anise and fennel if somewhat light and a strong Wormwood after-taste that was more than a little out of balance.

It doesn't hold a candle to Marteau or a particular Pacifique Jura I've tasted and isn't as good as the Jades or even the Duplais. However, there is no denying what 90+ years of age will do for an absinthe. It has a mellowness that I've yet to taste in any modern absinthe and I'm left wondering if this is what might happen to Lasala or Deva, given the time.

Pardon my ramblings and poor attempts at trying to share this absinthe experience. Perhaps someone with better skills and more experience will elaborate. I am humbled and appreciative at the opportunity to taste this rare bit of history and thought despite my limitations, I should share my impressions.