DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Oddly enough, you want to know what my wife said when she smelled Lucid?

"That smells like Absente...did you pay for it?"

Absente tastes and smells more like Nyquil than like Lucid.

Oh dear, I'm getting someone to pick up some Lucid for me in NY and get it me somehow. Is this now a no-no? I couldn't get a reading on it in the dedicated threads. What would you say is the closest thing (and please don't say Absente)?

Worried now.

My taste buds may be broken because it seems everyone likes it more than me.

To me it tastes a lot like Guy's two absinthes. Imbetween them in quality. Not as good as F. Guy, better than Partisane, but more complex than both. I think it's nothing like Absente whatsoever. The anise is relaxed and there is, to me, a very noticeable but light (after all, the entire flavour profile is light) wormwood aroma and flavour. To me it tastes both burnt and funky, though.

Thanks for taking the edge off my nervousness. I confess to liking FG so Lucid may become my standard starter, followed by the betters. For clarification, when I decide to have two or three absinthes as I will tonight, I always begin with an oil mix, then move on to artisinals. It's easier on my booze cabinet and wallet, creates a sort of build-up in quality, and keeps my taste buds on an upward climb. Here is an evening menu:

Absinthe#1- Lasala, Deva, Cherrypis or the Trenet I got in Budapest

Absinthe #2- Vdf, Libertine Amer, UE Rouge

The Final One: Blanchette, Clandestine, NO, Duplais, Ike or Montmartre

I feel guilty if I dive into the top shelf because it's a wonderful but expensive hobby-habit. When I get the Lucid later this summer, I will probably move it into the first category... does this sound right to you guys? :g:

Hi Alex! :wave2:

I couldn't drink the Lucid. Stupid allergic reactions. However the response of those around me seemed overall favorable. I can't wait to hear your impression and where you rank it.

I've had a martini and a 1/4 pitcher of frappes tonight. I'm definitely drunk posting and it feels good! :cheers:

I'm a fan of the Lucid myself. Seems like a great 'starter' absinthe, nice and simple and a basic way to start the green hour, like CLB and Kübler. Great louche.

Tonight it was a Bluecoat pink gin, now that I know I have another bottle on the way I can do some mixing without trying to conserve a dwindling bottle. I'm still looking for a decent Bluecoat martini recipe if anyone has one.

Hey Maggie.....what does a frappe mean to you? Ice cream?

MT......this isn't a martini recipe but our friend who just toured Bluecoat recently was told to try a piece of orange in a gin + tonic and that is mighty tasty. :thumbup: We are working at a fiddle festival today but I will post a couple of pictures he shared tomorrow about the place under Gin.

We like the Lucid too. It won't replace others but we like it. I really like the new Angelique.

I've been using this recipe, although I prefer another beverage to The Old Absinthe House's choice. ;)

What does frappe mean to Maggie? I dunno but I bet it's dirty! :devil:

In this case it is T73's aforementioned recipe. I've noticed a lot of these new fangled ice cream frappes at the local coffee kiosks. When I think of frappes I'm thinking old school blended fruit, ice, and a shot of spirits. I have a childhood memory of a neighbor lady inviting a few of us kids over for raspberry frappes. I remember she put vodka in hers.

I've had lots of water today and a little absinthe. :thumbup:

I must say that after aging for the last 6 months my Helfrich now rocks! Such a great summertime absinthe with floral tones and a fruity nose that I had to have two last night.

My Edouard has mellowed a whole bunch as well and is now fully drinkable. I was worried I'd have to dump the bottle as I wasn't a fan at all when it was fresh.

It sure would be nice to be able to buy pre-aged absinthe. The changes brought on by a mere 6 months of aging are dramatic and amazing.

I The changes brought on by a mere 6 months of aging are dramatic and amazing.

I agree. It would be nice if all absinthes could be aged at least six months prior to their release, but that's not always possible in marketing.

Did you have a favorite of the evening?

Hard to say because it was all good! The vodka DrCocktail gave me was good but I don't even remember the name of it now. I'd never tasted vodka like that before.

Spent the day painting and drinking sangria.

Merlot makes for a more rounded flavor than Saraz does.

Sangria.JPG

Now I'm abut to go for a glass of beer to finish the night off.

FYI. The mason jar is not a 1qt jar, it is a half gallon jar.

I wish I could get the Sammy Smith Impy Stout here.

Had a couple of Olde Towne bocks and later a Martini made with sweet vermouth with dinner.

Last night I toasted out my 30s with a Lucid frappe.

Tonight, trying to settle into the idea of being 40 with a sazerac made with Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye in an Edouard-rinsed glass (I'd prefer to have used NO, but have none in the house).

I ended up making two batches of Sangria. The Saraz was a bit too dry. I bought a bottle of Merlot for hte second batch and it was much better. Especially at $3.99 a bottle for the wine.

I agree. It would be nice if all absinthes could be aged at least six months prior to their release, but that's not always possible in marketing.

Could a third party aging warehouse be a good idea? I'm thinking of a vendor that would rent a warehouse with proper temperature and humidity controls and age absinthe for 6 months to a year or more. Of course the prices would increase as the absinthe mellows. Perhaps a 5% premiuim for absinthe aged 6 months and 10% for one aged a year. I know I would pay a 10% markup for ready to drink absinthe. In what other business would inventory appreciate at 10% a year?

There must be an equivalent for wine.