DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Ridiculous. It's like a party in your mouth!

I'm sure Nymphadora feels the same way. ;) Get well soon.

He forgot to mention the mosquitoes and how we actually were glad to see the plane fly over dumping chemicals on us.
When I was a kid in Florida we used to chase the skeeter jeep down the dirt (read: sand and seashell) road so we could get all that good anti-bug juice on us and play outside at night without getting eaten alive. It never hurt us any. :twitchsmile:
the new convection/microvave/range hood. It really compliments the rest of the kitchen.

IMAGE_00045.jpg

"Luke, I am your father... herrfffff"

After a pleasant evening of tough "research" on designer cocktails for Tales of the Cocktail with Drinkboy, my nightcap is a classic dry martini. Some things just can't be improved upon.

Those of you who will be at the Spirited Dinner at NOLA will reap the benefits of our selfless dedication. Others will get the recipes right after. ;)

He forgot to mention the mosquitoes and how we actually were glad to see the plane fly over dumping chemicals on us.
When I was a kid in Florida we used to chase the skeeter jeep down the dirt (read: sand and seashell) road so we could get all that good anti-bug juice on us and play outside at night without getting eaten alive. It never hurt us any. :twitchsmile:

We ran after the truck too. Same reason too.

Only it was driving down the driveways of the trailer park where Grandma lived.

I'm still alive. :twitchsmile:

Uh huh. They used to fog the entire Little League park. Players, fans and umpires, too. It was killing the 'skeeters so we couldn't have been happier.

Long day for me and longer for my Maggie. I'll have her martini ready as soon as she hits the door: Hendrix, Noilly Prat and the tiniest touch of Regans' Orange Bitters. We'll go with the almond-stuffed olive just because Maggie like them and we don't have a cucumber.

I bet we have an absinthe after the martini. :cheers:

I finally tried the Hendrix last night after recently spotting it in an airport duty-free. Mixed up a g 'n' t with it. Sorry to say I wasn't impressed. Blackwood's is a hunnert times crisper and more refreshing with tonic. I do believe it should succeed better in a martini. Particularly with a slice of cucumber. We shall see.

Keep trying Pan Buh, but maybe you aren't one out of the thousand that prefers Hendricks. Cucumbers are a must.

"Hendrick's Gin is loved by a tiny handful of people across the world."

http://www.hendricksgin.com/us/about/loved/index.asp

"Preferred by 1 out of 1,000 gin drinkers (Fine by us, it’s not easy making this stuff)"http://www.hendricksgin.com/us/about/ridiculously/index.asp

Half a glass of each of the following:

-Ridge V.S. Verte

-Lune Verte

-Ridge V.S. Blanche

-Ridge Delicate Blanche

-Milk of Amnesia

A good night to say the least. :cheers:

Taking advantage of having Lucid in the house to try an absinthe cocktail out of one of the old playbooks.

In this case, I hit George Kappeler's Modern American Drinks from 1895, and reached for the "Absinthe, Italian style"

Put into a thin eight-ounce glass containing a few lumps of clear ice one pony of absinthe, two dashes maraschino, four dashes anisette. Slowly fill the glass with ice-water, stir well with long barspoon. Serve.

Not bad, if not awfully different from your average drip. Maraschino gives it a slight touch of funkiness, and the anisette -- I used a potent Tutone Anice Unico that I brought back from Italy last year -- pokes up the anise notes that Lucid is a little mellow on. Agreeable drink, but not mind-blowing.

Mixed up a g 'n' t with it.

I'm definitely not much of a fan of it as a G&T. I prefer Rangpur or Plymouth for that. My favorite for Hendrick's is definitely the cucumber martini.

Lucid. Finally. :cheers:

Early stages of Alzheimer's kinda work that way, you can take my word for it.

Great to have you with us for awhile, though, Doc! :tongue:

I finally tried the Hendrix last night after recently spotting it in an airport duty-free. Mixed up a g 'n' t with it. Sorry to say I wasn't impressed. Blackwood's is a hunnert times crisper and more refreshing with tonic. I do believe it should succeed better in a martini. Particularly with a slice of cucumber. We shall see.

Yeah, it really isn't a gin to mix but drink as a martini. I think you'll enjoy it when trying it that way.

Funny! Last night we had cucmber martinis and finished off the bottle of Hendrick's. I will agree that is does not make a very good g and t, but I love it in a cucmber martini. I tried it in a Tom Collins and decided that it was not bad, but not as good as Plymouth or Boodles. Even if it is a one-drink pony, I am off to BevMo to get another bottle.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really like a Hendrick's gin and tonic (cucumber instead of lime).

I think we are in the minority here Chris, but I agree that Hendrix (T73's spelling) makes great G & T's, with the ever important cucumber substituting for the lime. In fact I think adding citrus, with the exception of orange bitters, to anything Hendrix detracts from the Hendrix experience.

I agree that Hendrix (T73's spelling)

Where's that Flying Finger emoticon? No matter, MTG. My Lucid finally arrived and I couldn't be happier. There's a bit of harshness that surprised me but it's a just fine little absinthe. :cheers:

Harshness, hmm I'm having one now. The first few sips I did get a harshness in the back of my throat, towards the bottom of the glass not too much. I could see this being my house brand though.

Of course you know I did the "T73 spelling" just so I could do the lame "Hendrix experience" reference. :yahoo:

I sipped some sweetish red wine last night. No label but the Precious enjoyed it.

Finally, T73's Lucid arrived. I will sip some this evening. Thanks Flying Monkeys. WHEW!

:cheers:

Possibly, Shabba, but my first thought was, "This needs a couple more months of aging." Certainly there is a spicy, peppery bite there (as others have already mentioned) very reminiscent of other Jade products. That's not a complaint, IMHO. I'm sure this first bottle will not live long (but well), however the second bottle will be given an opportunity to get a little time under its belt.

We're having the official Summer Solstice party tonight, OMG. We'll toast your graciousness during the longest day of the year. It will be nearly 10:00 before the sun sets and an hour later before the light and alpinglow finally fades to darkness.

MTG, I was so distraught at my spelling faux pas I missed your fine Jimi reference! :blush:

Is the harshness you speak of the peppery bite that I had mentioned?

Yes! That's what I was tasting Shabba, peppery.

Nimes, fro me. And lots of ice water. It is warm here!

By the way,

From LDF.

June 2007 LDF absinthes available in Australia

We are pleased to announce that several of our fine absinthes will be available this summer (winter down under!) for direct sale in Australia! Please contact our distributor in Australia: Absinthesalon for more information.

I couldn't find this mentioned. Congrats, Aussies!

:cheers:

Oh, yes, Pimm's ...

After last weekend's excesses in Boveresse (nice to meet you, PB), I still don't really feel like drinking absinthe. Fortunately, I had some mead ready for bottling, so I am sampling that. The driest mead I've made so far. A bit harsh right now. Hard to tell how it will age, but hopefully, it will get a bit mellower.

Starting with a glass of the Lucid. Then I'll be moving on to Three Philosophers with the pizza we ordered. And I shall wrap up my evening with the Instant Domaine de Fondreche rose. At the top of the link is some general info on rose wines, and at the bottom is a review of the wine I'm about to pour down my gullet.