DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Had a feast of Toro nigiri washed down with some Kirin Ichiban, then some pear infused sake with mango sherbet.

Once I got home, I mixed up a Rangpur and ginger ale. If you haven't tried it...you must... I went with about 2 1/2 oz of Rangpur with about 6 or 7 oz of ginger ale. I also tend to mix my drinks strong, so you might want to adjust the ratio to taste, but it is SO good!

Thanks to Absomphe's long ago recommendation.....and a trip to Bottleworks before the party(both of them.....we just tried our first 2004 De Dolle Stille Nacht. We shared it even. Very special and delicious. Thanks Absomphe-we drank this for you! :wave2:

:heart:

I'm only sorry I didn't "meet" you folks before I finished off my stash of '96 Stille Nacht...still the best beer I've ever had the joy of sipping and savoring. I'd recommend stopping by Bottleworks on your next trip to the big city, stocking up on a few more, and putting them away for a few years. You'd be amazed how incredibly that ale ages! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

2 weeks without the WS was just plain awful! To being back. :cheers:
We missed you. Happy to see you back. :wave2:

Duplais Balance while cooking dinner tonight. Wow, that sounded like Gimp. ;)

Dinner was the best meatloaf I've ever had, made with oatmeal and chili sauce, klondike rose mashed potatoes, and green beans sauteed with herbs. Served with Unibroue Trois Pistoles.

I'm feeling frickin' awesome.

Nice to have you back, Doc. :cheers:

I like Unibroue Trois Pistoles. Very nice and the food doesn't sound half bad at all!

2 weeks without the WS was just plain awful! To being back. :cheers:
We missed you. Happy to see you back. :wave2:

Exactly! Hey, Doc! It hurts when I do this :groupwave reversed:

And it hurts when I do this........

Oops, I forgot, there's no emoticon for that here, the boss runs a clean establishment. ;) :wave2:

I'm only sorry I didn't "meet" you folks before I finished off my stash of '96 Stille Nacht...still the best beer I've ever had the joy of sipping and savoring. I'd recommend stopping by Bottleworks on your next trip to the big city, stocking up on a few more, and putting them away for a few years. You'd be amazed how incredibly that ale ages! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have one more earlier year.....but not that early. Yes, we want to get a few to save next time. Thanks again. :cheers: :heart:

Wasn't there an historic absinthe named "The Same"?

Yes, there was:

and after a while, it is still, albeit with a modification:

post-1144-1181475551_thumb.jpg

post-1144-1181475669_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, Martini bianco 2003, something verte, something rouge and gentiane (1:1 with tonic), for various reasons I am celebratin' so there are no precautions to join me, thus :cheers: everyone!

Is this 341 ml and 5.5%? Should not the British ipas be sold in pints and at at least 5.7%? I have had Marston's Old Emipre and although quite heavy, 'twas excellent. How was/is the Sergeant? Looks stunning, if little (unless you have a pack :cheers: )

It's a Canadian IPA...most beer bottles in Canada are 341ml. There are brewers who use other sizes, but that's the "industry standard" 'round these parts.

The Sergeant is good, but it used to be great. It was at one time a seriously citrus-rind and resin heavy west-coast style IPA. But when Scotch Irish brewing was bought by a brewery in Ottawa called Heritage, they really dumbed it down. A shame.

That tendency is worldwide.

Long time there was quite a good beer "Kiper" sold in Poland. Some time went, and it is not what it has supposed to be. The first "kiper" i remember was at 7.5% and was excellent ('twas also in typical 330 ml bottles), then after EU, it has changed its image and lowered to 7.0%; was o.k. but not necessarily. Yesterday I bought several new ones with new label and at 7.5% again and it was a tragedy, especially the foam. It used to be one of the finest regional beers, though and now I am at loss of words.

I got really worried when Sleeman (and now Sapporo) bought Unibroue in Quebec, but thankfully they haven't touched their beers. But they would have to be absolutely crazy to mess with that brewery.

Wasn't there an historic absinthe named "The Same"?

Yes, there was:

and after a while, it is still, albeit with a modification:

And what makes you think that the latter is of heritage of the former? Evidence please.

Just look at the labels and the information-the pics I have attached are big enough (Jeez), T73 was right, I bet you have not spotted the modifications on vodka bottle some posts ago, either.

That's not evidence. Many, many absinthes and early pastis bottles used the "grapes/grape leaf" motif. FWIW, the former was made in Pontarlier, and the latter was made in Beaucaire. Before you start making claims to something, please do the requisite research first.

It's a sweltering 64, here Nymph. 2 glasses of absinthe before dinner and ice cream for desert. That'll cool me down!

T73 was right,

Nah, no one is gonna believe that.

Hot weather doesn't really bother me; I've been a Southern girl all my life. If the temp drops below 70, I'm freezing.

That's not evidence. Many, many absinthes and early pastis bottles used the "grapes/grape leaf" motif. FWIW, the former was made in Pontarlier, and the latter was made in Beaucaire. Before you start making claims to something, please do the requisite research first.

There is nothing about grape leaves, better look at exactly the same crown (or tower) and the fact that it was not made in Pontarlier was obvious as many of them were moving their businesses. Beaucaire is near Nimes so there could have been their own extrait as well.

As far as the latter "Le Mien" is concerned I have found that it no longer exists (however, nowadays in Beaucaire, two pastis are made: Duval and Cabanis), if you have other proofs (maybe a history), please share them, because assumming "La Meme" (it was qualite superieure, so nothing inferior) ceased to exist after the ban, it was impossible for them to just disappear from the market, most absinthe producers just went "pastis" (Berger, Pierre Guy, Pernod fils, Duval, Amourette, Lapouge Perigord, or Lemercier Freres to name the most imortant).

And I am not claiming it is so, I am just suggesting it might be the case since no one seems to have checked it yet.

Water last night......tap water. Dammit!

The two previous evenings, I don't recall but they must have been pretty effective.

Eric takes good care of guests. :)

:cheers: Ya'll

There is nothing about grape leaves, better look at exactly the same crown (or tower) and the fact that it was not made in Pontarlier was obvious as many of them were moving their businesses. Beaucaire is near Nimes so there could have been their own extrait as well.

As far as the latter "Le Mien" is concerned I have found that it no longer exists (however, nowadays in Beaucaire, two pastis are made: Duval and Cabanis), if you have other proofs (maybe a history), please share them, because assumming "La Meme" (it was qualite superieure, so nothing inferior) ceased to exist after the ban, it was impossible for them to just disappear from the market, most absinthe producers just went "pastis" (Berger, Pierre Guy, Pernod fils, Duval, Amourette, Lapouge Perigord, or Lemercier Freres to name the most imortant).

And I am not claiming it is so, I am just suggesting it might be the case since no one seems to have checked it yet.

You did more than "suggest" a link between the two. As for the crown, here's a list of absinthes that also used a crown motif:

Gallard, Royamet, N. Vrignand Fils, Abel Bresson, H. Rabourdin, Edmond Gay, Bonnal Lamouroux, D. Chavin, Constant Paillard et Cie., H. Bazinet Jne, Chevalier, Martinet Freres, Joanne, C. Comoz, A. Vichet, E. Vincente, E. Denisset Fils, , Vin Pernod, J.P. Georges, Thorel, Henry Richard, Philipe Berger, C. Torland, Jules Pernod, and the list surely goes on.

Also, just because a company put "Qualite Superieure" does not even close to meaning the actual quality of the product was indeed "superior" to other products. Marketing.

Marketing=the root of all evil. If you happen to find something more about these two, will be grateful. I am continuing my research with a glass of gentiane of course, :cheers:

Last night, I decided it was time I sampled the sample of 1914 that was sent to me some months back. I just had a small glass. Just enough to get a sense of the taste. It was...well, it was great.

Water last night......tap water. Dammit!

The two previous evenings, I don't recall but they nust have been pretty effective.

Eric takes good care of guests. :)

:cheers: Ya'll

So I gathered. I didn't know whether to be envious or relieved at being a thousand miles away. ;)

Did you guys get that banshee I heard running a muck into his straight jacket?