DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Maybe Dan left me some to try again. Did you find it a bit minty too? I use "minty" because I know no other way to describe it.

Indeed, he did. And I agree about the mint.

This "absintini" is what I've been enjoying these past few days. We didn't follow any particular recipe; it's just a grape instead of an olive and absinthe in the place of vermouth.

post-1328-1180629002_thumb.jpg

Double Blackberry Pyment.

It reminds me of a fine ice wine.

It has gorgeous legs. I'm almost jealous.

Delicious to the end.

This stuff should make for a very interesting raft trip this summer.

Now if I can just get my mother to drink it. :devil:

I tried some more Helfrich last weekend and I agree it has gotten better with age, still doesn't louche worth a crap though.

Tonight we progress from Pegu (Pegues?) to La Louisiane.

I finally acquired the ingredients after falling in love at the last Green Hour. Let me tell you, trying to find Rye in Seattle is like trying to find a virgin in Las Vegas.

What can I say? This is perfection in a glass.

3/4 oz Rye

3/4 oz Benedictine

3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth

3 dashes Peychaud Bitters

3 dashes Absinthe

Stir with cracked ice, strain and ENJOY!

Had some Nigori unfiltered sake for dinner tonight followed by some Rodenbach Grand Cru. After the wonderful sweetness, I could almost equate the Grand Cru to umeboshi plum paste.

I like the Helfrich. It is in my top five favorites.

Tonight I made a decent bastardization of The Last Word.

I was missing the maraschino so I improvised as best I could.

It was dangerously good.

I can't wait to try the real thing.

Tonight to celebrate the end of my work week and an upcoming road trip it's Plymouth and tonic with a slice of lime and three dashes of Fee Brothers orange bitters. :cheers:

MTC I enjoy the Helfrich also it just has the thinnest louche of any brand I have and, even after aging for 6 months, still has a strange turpentine aroma in the nose. My Eichelberger had a similiar note, but it seems to have gone away with age.

I would like to meet the gal that inspired the label though.

It's official: statewide and local beer bills in Alabama are dead in this session. Looks like it will be a while before I can buy Chimay or Dogfish Head here.

Well been away for a bit, but that is another story, ss it is my birthday (which no one seemed to have noticed..hehe) I picked up a few bottles of Ommegang, and plan on finishing of my bottle of 1901. will report later on the progress. :cheers:

Last night, it was a small glass from my ever dwindling supply of L'Artisinale. What a delicious absinthe. It went unbelievably well with dinner.

:) You know I would love to.

Problem is Alyssa has to work on weekends. She'll have a vacation in distant August or September though. Bleh.

I was going to open a bottle of Chocolate Mead made in the Land of Lincoln but after sniffing at some lovely wormwood plants, I just had to have more of that wonderful aroma...in my glass. Dammit! I'm anxiously looking forward to that mead, too. Don't tell me life ain't good! ;)

Chocolate mead-that sounds good. We tried two new beers we bought while in Seattle. One was Adam from Hair of the Dog (Portland). The other was Raison D'Etre by Dogfish Head (Delaware). That was the best one-I really want to try their stout but will have to wait for Fall for that. We saw their brewery on the Travel Channel Taste of America show recently. Same show came to our town but that was for eating bugs :twitchsmile: ! We knew the people in that episode-that was funny.

after sniffing at some lovely wormwood plants ;)

I have found that the plants in my yard, and all around me, are A.A.. Some have 3 to 4 feet stalks with dried flowers from last year. I found a spot about 40 feet by 20 feet full of them. The smell was apparent from about 20 feet away. I transplanted a couple plants to some pots on my deck. I guess I should have paid more attention. Anyway, made me want a nice Balance! Ahhh.... :cheers:

Happy Friday!

....By the way,

How's the 1901 and Ommegang Desertwolf!

Went to an Irish Whiskey tasting tonight. Here's the list in no order because I didn't take notes until halfway through.

Knappogue Castle 1992 single malt

Powers Gold

Red Breast Pot Still 12 year

Tullamore Dew

Jameson 12 year blend

Jameson 18 year blend

Locke's 8 year single malt

Green Spot

Merry's single malt

Connemara peated single malt

Clontarf classic blend

Knappogue Castle 1994 single malt

Kilbeggan

The Knappogue Castle 1992 and Merry's were my faves out of the bunch. The Jameson 18 was fantastic in a way I totally didn't expect; it tasted like a single malt. The Locke's and Tullamore Dew were dreadful. The Connemara was so weird I don't know if I liked it or not. I think I liked it but I think I'll need to have more before I decide for sure. ;)

Life's good tonight. :drunk:

Dude, I'm ripped. :cheers:

Getting some spaghetti noodles boiling for the sauce I made earlier today. I think maybe if I eat enough and drink enough water I won't die.

I can't die now. Brewfest tomorrow. YEE-HAW!

I have found that the plants in my yard, and all around me, are A.A..

Same here. I think I've named every plant on my little plantation and covet the weeds I see on my neighbor's property and along side the gravel road. Maggie says my plans to transplant them in the dead of night to our land may indicate a developing problem. I tell her, they are lost little children and need to be rescued and loved. She just doesn't understand how much they need me. :twitchsmile: