DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

My girlfriend's boss recently visited Vienna and he visited the Schnapsmuseum and brought us back some Grune Fee. We are going to give it try and settle in for a couple of episodes of Carnivale. I know that the Grune Fee has a bad rep 'round these parts so I guess I don't know what I'm getting myself into. Wish me luck. I'll give you the full review soon.

This morning I'm having an Airforce Nutrisoda Mandarin Mint as the rain comes down and I prepare for the big move. I'm not sure what I think of the beverage so far since I brushed my teeth immediately prior to opening it. I will probably be sans internet for the next few weeks, so I'll be MIA for a while. But fear not, fellow WS members. I shall return! :cheers:

Grune Fee? For sure, it will not louche at any rate with the micro amount of anise used.

Labelled as "Bitterspirituose" and containing 11.4 mg/l with no distillation involved, it should be bitter but in the worst sense. Better avoid it and find something more decent. If you are brave, make the review :devil:

OK, Martin Miller gin and homemade tonic for me tonight.

.....snip......

How did you make the tonic? Where did you get the quinine suliphate?

I summarized the recipe (from Imbibe Magazine) in the Kensington Gin thread along with a follow-up post on an alternative source for the quinine/cinchona bark. After trying several gins, I think the Martin Miller pairs best, so far. While I have yet to try it, a friend thought Bluecoat Gin was the best with this home made tonic.

Last night I had a double Scurvy's Bane and a couple of Black Butte Porters. First, I beat Tiger Woods himself in Tiger Woods Golf 2007 and then the weirdest thing happened, I got in the hot tub and in about five minutes I thought I was going to pass out. It must have been a vasodilation issue between drinking and the heat... very unpleasant.

I've seen my share of full grown humans reduced to slimy messes due to alcohol and hot tubs. :twitchsmile:

Too much heat. :)

I thought it was because of the sex?

Had a little bit of some "La Crema" Syrah wine stuff that was a gift to the girlfriend person, decided I still don't really like wine, some Jade VS and some CLB. Feeling decent now.

Just a big glass of CLB for me tonight.

edit: I lied. Continuing with a glass of Montmartre. I've always liked it as the odd occasional absinthe, but I may be coming to understand its greater appeal...

Many thanks to Paul Clarke, who turned me on to Cocktail à la Louisiane last night.

You guys probably know by now that my favorite cocktail is a Sazerac, but this one just came pretty darn close to knocking the king off his mountain. However, if the Sazerac is the iconic southern dandy, strutting down the boardwalk of the Vieux Carré, the Cocktail à la Louisiane is the gussied-up lady in the bustle and the big hat with maribou trim, gently clinging to his arm.

Cocktail a la Louisiane

• 3/4 oz. rye whiskey

• 3/4 oz. Benedictine

• 3/4 oz. sweet vermouth

• 3 dashes absinthe

• 3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stir with cracked ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Holy shit, that looks awesome.

Soon as I have some benedictine in my possession I'm trying it.

As our train was leaving Seattle yesterday afternoon, Maggie and I began louching up a couple of celebratory absinthes. Suddenly the porter stops by with complementary sparkling wines and loudly remarks, "I know what that is! Well, what it's supposed to be. That's P-p-p-p..." "Pernod?" I offered. "Yeah! PernoD! Because that other stuff-absinthe- is illegal!" I tried to explain that wasn't exactly accurate but he insisted, "Absinthe is illegal because of the opium! I read a book about it."

He didn't remember which book and the argument was pointless. I would never change his mind. We closed the door, enjoyed our aperitif and started talking about our wonderful whirlwind tour weekend. Maggie used one bottle of the sparkling wine for DITAs, something I'm sure our porter would have been highly offended by.

Hey, where can I gets me some of that there opium absinthe? Sounds delish.

My summer vacation has officially begun. The real Nymphadora emerges (even with impacted tooth).

Many thanks to Paul Clarke, who turned me on to Cocktail à la Louisiane last night.
That looks excellent. Do you think Benedictine is sufficiently sweet to make up for having only dry vermouth on hand?

Is Paul Clarke a professional Cocktail Guy?

post-143-1180385557.jpg...We should tote little medicine bottles to New Orleans and doctor our own Sazeracs.

Tonight I was drinking Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. It was really good! I haven't tried a Great Lakes beer yet that I haven't liked. It's very well balanced, the aftertaste is like dried apples.

Great Lakes is good stuff, picked up a six pack of the Commodore Perry on Friday along with the Holy Moses, the Moses is my favorite but the Perry is good too.

I just got home from Chicago. It was fun, but 7 hours in a vehicle with two young kids....

I've said enough!

I need a drink. Yes, I said need! :cheers:

Hope you enjoy the Jades Raitano, I'm having some VS myself, although I prefer the Edouard. I hope Dan enjoys the last of our sample of that...

I just got home from Chicago. It was fun, but 7 hours in a vehicle with two young kids....

I've said enough!

I need a drink. Yes, I said need! :cheers:

Wait...you were abducting children in Chicago this weekend? Next time let me know and we can get a drink when you're through.

Hope you enjoy the Jades Raitano, I'm having some VS myself, although I prefer the Edouard.

Wow, what a treat. I think of the 3 I enjoyed the NO the most. Maybe because it was the third one I tried. Those first two are good and all. But the third one. That's where the fun starts.

Martin, the trip was very last minute. I am planning another abduction this summer. Hopefully, a little planning will be involved. A drink would be great!

A. Raitano- I haven't tried enough of the NO, only a little bit from the first night. Maybe Dan left me some to try again. Did you find it a bit minty too? I use "minty" because I know no other way to describe it.

I think I detect a touch of mint, too. No problem by me. ;)

Maggie claimed she didn't care for tonic but wanted to give Gin & Tonic a try tonight. The Rangpur was a big hit and I barely managed a sip before Maggie grabbed her drink. A couple of absinthes and a little gardening for me. It's a nice evening in the Rockie Mountains. :cheers:

:thumbup: Hooray....I knew Maggie would like that Rangpur!

With our rare warmer weather, we are trying a Pegu out on the deck. :cheers: