DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I figured you would get a laff outta that! Hopefully you will never be unfortunate enough to taste any of it! When I first moved here I was told this was the xit. Then I tasted it! Enough said.

Member to Advanced Member transition! 499...500...501... Yeah!

Alright, I know it is just a numbers game, but it still calls for a Duplais Blanche!

:cheers:

So why do I see reviewers from the Ukraine and Denmark in the reviews (for gluek).

Don't tell me America exports this stuff?

And I'm astounded at the number of beers this company makes. And how low their ratings are. How does a company like this stay in business?

Ike 68, then Duplais 'Balance', then maybe a Duplais. I really need to find an English site that sells the other Ike labels.

Yesterday, I tried Montmarte for the first time. I've read some good reviews about the Montmarte. Apparently my taste isn't yet refined enough to appreciate this one. It was easily the least enjoyable of the eight absinthes I've tried thus far. Please tell me it (or I) will get better with age...

John :cheers:

Hard to say. I think Montmarte does get better with age, but not liking it may not be a matter of your palate not being refined enough yet. A lot of people don't like it on their first try or ever. It's a bit of a weird flavor for an absinthe.

I think it's weird tasting. I love cinnamon but I feel like it's overbearing in the Montmartre. I'm not too much of a fan of it, but it's my girlfriend's favourite.

Tonight it's been big, thirsty glassfuls of Blackwood's gin and tonics. Followed by a couple of Urquells. Last night a Balance in a plastic cup while sitting next to our tent in Germany. It was a very good weekend.

Yesterday, I tried Montmarte for the first time. It was easily the least enjoyable of the eight absinthes I've tried thus far.
Proteus, there are few fence-straddlers on this one. People like Montmartre, or they don't.

It took me a year-and-a-half to polish off my one bottle. I found the last glass as strange as the first.

(Post script: Just remembered that by the end I was mixing it 1:1 with Kübler. Kübler's simple flavor profile took the edge off the cinnamon.)

Ah, I hate that. If I fall on the floor, my Cocker Spaniel tries to wash my face. ;)

Yesterday, I tried Montmarte for the first time. I've read some good reviews about the Montmarte. Apparently my taste isn't yet refined enough to appreciate this one.

Maybe it's not your palate, John. Maybe you just don't like it.

Last night a Balance in a plastic cup while sitting next to our tent in Germany. It was a very good weekend.

Last night I gave my glass to a friend and drank my absinthe out of a plastic cup, too. It was also a very good weekend here. :cheers:

Proteus, there are few fence-straddlers on this one. People like Montmartre, or they don't.

Don't.

But to each his own and I have several excellent absinthes that serve me very well.

Sierra Nevada Summer Pils while working in the garden this afternoon. I had a Manhattan while making dinner and a glass of NO after dinner. I was going to make a lavender crème brulée tonight but I can't find my lavender flowers. I do have a lavender plant growing in the garden so I might wait till I get flowers from it.

Right now I'm drinking ice water. I'll hit the beer soon.

Good question. It's not sediment, but it is what I described in my post a couple of days ago as dense green. It has no clarity like say the Balance. "Crystal" is not a word to describe its appearance.

I picked up a bottle of Avery Collaboration Not Litigation this weekend not knowing fully what it was. I wished I would have gotten two :3869-sadbanana:. Also got some Head Midas Touch, Oak Aged Yeti, and a 12 of Dale.

Tonight it'll be a nice glass of L'Artisanale while remembering the way the Cutty Sark used to look

Despite fallacies galore, and convoluted logic... and tortuous reasoning... weaving a web oh so tangled, getting his way by labyrinthine maneuvering... In some strange way I can't be anything but just thankful to the great Radomil Hill, for now I know better: without his eruditeness I would most certainly not be sitting here this Monday evening, all on my own, drinking some high quality absinthes! Genuine absinthes that proudly make use of the suffix e.

In this order they slip, and have slipped, down my sore throat and eased it this evening:

Good: Absinthe Helfrich

Gooder: Absinthe Duplais Balance

Goodest: Absinthe Duplais (well aged indeed. What a fantastic wormwood this has! Have you noticed that?)

:cheers: to our newest member Tom Hill, and - above all - to his great ancestor!

I'm having a GREAT time here ploughing through this fabulously amusing thread about Hill's, and their bitter, odd decoction. I'm only halfways yet, and I think I'll need another glass or two in order to finish it to the bitter end. Wherever and whatever it will be. Thank Odin my supply of well crafted absinthes is good.

Så skål på er, bröder och systrar!

And :cheers: to you GrayWolf, for the epitome of the great age of sail!

I see a strong signal coming through on my drunken-swede-o-meter (a useful tool in Copenhagen).

So, skål ... :cheers:

*beep beep beeeeep*

Hell yeah. Stronger than evah tror jag bestämt. :arrr:

Saving some of my supply for this year's Scandi Moot though. The time is ripe to make another attempt, and so is some of the green stuff here. Again, skål (and good night)! :dev-cheers:

Good question. It's not sediment, but it is what I described in my post a couple of days ago as dense green.

I still think it might not have been thoroughly filtered, and, if it sits around long enough it will probably clear up some, and show a better refractiveness.

Just had to finish a bottle of Plymouth Gin. Okay, it works. Yadda yadda blah blah. :devil:

G'night and good luck with Hills. ( I quit following that thread. It's like sand in underwear. No thanks!) :)

:cheers: Ya'll!

You're a smart man, OMG. Nothing like a little colloquial wisdom to put things in perspective.

Maggie, Silent and I are still wallowing through our beginner's lessons in Martini-ness*. Tonight's lesson was in Vermouth: Martini & Rossi vs Tribuno vs Noilly Prat. I think I preferred the Tribuno with the Hendrix Gin although Silent opted for the Noilly Prat. Maggie is still choosing. Guidance and suggestions (and the usual cheap jokes) will be appreciated.

*Orange Bitters still aren't in so our recipe is simply this.

We have only tried the Noilly Pratt. Sonny makes mine at a ratio of 2 parts gin to 1 part vermouth with 3 or 4 drops of bitters (alternating Fees+Regans-I like both). Very delicious. :cheers:

A shitload of cellared beers from and with local brewers,

damn did we have fun picking on the CO brewers(ie, the big micro guys, no names, sorry, but their beers sucked.)

big micro

Really an oxymoronic phrase that should have no meaning, although I understand your reference.

Whatever happened to the good old days when a microbrewer had to produce 10,000 gallons, or fewer, to achieve that designation (and get the concomitant tax breaks).

Oh, yeah, Redhook sold out to Anheuser Putsch, and then lobbied to have those tax breaks rescinded, and the rest was history.

Grow, or die...nice economic precept, except somehow the quality of the product always suffers, so the brewery manages to do both.

while remembering the way the Cutty Sark used to look

Didn't realize what you meant until I caught up on the news today. That is really sad.

I actually meant big-ego micro guys.

I was refering to a couple cult-of-personality types and how crappy their beers tasted.

Ah, gotcha.

Greg Kochitis, I believe it's called, though many are infected.

while remembering the way the Cutty Sark used to look

Didn't realize what you meant until I caught up on the news today. That is really sad.

Still the whisky is available, at least in warsaw I have seen it, so there is something to commemorate with.