DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Of course I am only talking Vodka martinis...

No such thing. Martinis are a gin cocktail.

I just don't dig Gin very much these days

Martinis are like absinthe: if you don't like anise, you won't like absinthe; if you don't like gin, you won't like a Martini. It's just like those guys that call that fake Czech crap "absinth" just so they can pretend it's absinthe; this way, one can say one is drinking a Martini without actually having to drink one.

ShaiHulud,

How'd you make your butterbeer? We made it over the holidays with cream soda and butterschnapps. It was SO good.

I'd like to try plantains. For us tonight, it was grill. I am a vegan, and the kids and mister are carnivorous, so they had chicken breast, spinach spaghetti w/garlic, grilled zucchini, and I had the same + grilled tomatoes and onions(and minus the chicken). I tried to do grilled tofu, and it was as horrendous as it sounds. I did make a peanut sauce that was outstanding with the onions-lots of Thai chili paste and garlic+coconut milk, tamari and peanut butter :heart: .

That's how we made ours this time. I've seen all sorts of recipes though. There was one that added vanilla ice cream to the cream soda and butterschnapps. I haven't tried that but it sounds yummmy

The editor at Cocktail.com says this about the 'vodka martini'...

In the movies, James Bond was a hard-core vodka martini drinker who prefered his cocktail "shaken, not stirred." Due to his popularity, the cocktail was the hottest drink of the 1960s. However, we believe his fondness for vodka was due in large part because Smirnoff bought the product placement rights in the films. Before the movie series almost all martinis were made exclusively with gin.

Is there a name for the non-martini drink made with vermouth and vodka?

Nothing for me tonight, friends.

I had a long day at the museum, and actually have some translating work and sleuthing to do! Woohoo! Real museum work! :cheers:

Is there a name for the non-martini drink made with vermouth and vodka?

Yes, but it's not printable on this website.

A waste of good Vermouth.

Everytime someone tries to make a Martini with vodka, W.C. Fields spins like a top in his urn.

And a Martini isn't a cold class of neat Gin.

My only variation is to use Lillet Blanc, in lieu of a good Vermouth.

Sometimes a dash of absinthe is good in a Martini.

My Jade Ed and Ike arrived today. Had a glass of Jade Ed and sipping the Ike now.

Quite nice to end Monday this way.

:cheers:

Having a glass of Razzouk Arak tonight. Several, actually, as it's sort of a first-time sampling. Here are my thoughts:

Straight: Nope. Ugh. Too much alcohol at once.

1:2 louched: see above.

1:3 louched: can taste the aniseed over the alcohol, but still a tad too strong to be truly pleasant.

1:4 louched: Unbelievable the difference a tad more water made. Excellent mouthfeel, the aniseed is warm and full. Only thing I'd look for is fennel, maybe some hyssop, some other herbal flavour to add complexity. It's a bit simple, but tasty.

And, just for kicks, 1:4 with a sugar cube: I have to admit, I like the extra sweetness. I don't think it detracts, and it blends well with the alcohol and water to enhance the flavour to make up a bit for lack of complexity. I'll probably switch off and enjoy it with or without sugar depending on what I'm eating with it and my mood at the time, but I'll definitely keep the water ratio about the same.

A 2004 Louis Jadot Beaujolais from one of my favorite purveyors of fine whines, Costco. Fresh from the bottle reminding me of sour cherries with a dry finish. Not fancy but it'll do the trick. :)

I'm not drinking tonight.

However, I am eating a few brews.

La Folie.

Rodenbach.

Rodenbach Grand Cru.

La Folie tonight is better than the Rody, but never the GC.