DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Absomphe, you old goat! You go to an overcrowded public event and you won't make it to an absinthe event? I have a good mind to smack you on the bottom with my shoe.

Oh, me first, me first. I never make it to any of the events either. :pirate:

Boveresse just happens to be the less pricey option for me.

One beer for the Elfn king on his Cold Mountain throne

None for stingy Absomphe in his deep Abyss alone

One beer to brew them all

One beer to find them

One beer to drink them all

And in the Darkness bind them

In the Land of Munster, where the brewers lie

My preeeeh-ssssshus!

Kevin Brauch ain't got xit on our Thirsty Traveler. Details!

Normally I would, sweetheart (in a heartbeat). The scheduling has sucked for me. The April WS fest was during the opening of my directorial debut and the May WS fest will be during graduation activities. ..... Ya hear that kids? Throw a party and let the Nymph invade!

Will you still be having graduation activities during the SoCal get-together May 19th? (See Upcoming Events Section) We are meeting in beautiful Orange County, 2 miles from the Newport Beach Pier, and I have crash space. :wave2:

There's actually not a whole lot to tell. I wasn't going to go, but when I woke up on Saturday, it was just too perfect a day not to head out there. So I caught a train to Hammond and from there called a cab. Apparently there had been a lot of people taking cabs out there, because the dispatcher asked me what the hell was going on. I had to explain to them that they lived within driving distance of an amazing brewery.

The event itself was actually a little disappointing. There were so many people waiting to get bottles of Dark Lord, I basically just stood in line for three hours and chatted with the folks around me. Good people and good conversation. One guy was just sitting on the outskirts of the line sharing barrel-aged Dark Lord from the tap with anyone who wanted a taste. Once I actually got into the brewery, I was a little disappointed with the bottles they were selling. Aside from the Dark Lord, they didn't really have any of their specialty beers for sale, which makes sense but was a little disappointing. I was really looking forward to trying a few of their offerings I can't get in town.

Then I got my bottles and made my way back home. Which was an adventure in itself.

Edit: Oh...and the beer itself is every bit as dark and rich as they say. It's thick and rich and leaves a molassesy sheen on the glass that doesn't go away. It's beer you eat with a fork.

It's thick and rich and leaves a molassesy sheen on the glass that doesn't go away. It's beer you eat with a fork.

Mmmmm. Sounds like I may need to make some flap-jacks.

The witch of winter has been sent up in smoke. They're serving Svijany to keep the spring revelers happy. Oh, and a little May cup of riesling in which was steeped strawberries and, and, what's that herb called, um? Odoratum gallatium? Oh, durn, this is sad. Traditional strewing herb. Pfft. Put some in right under the Hawthorn just for May wine, but of course the Hawthorn isn't in bloom yet. Ah, well. Pfft, again.

And the night is young. Maybe a flask of something to take back to the bonfire. :cheers:

Absomphe, you old goat! You go to an overcrowded public event and you won't make it to an absinthe event? I have a good mind to smack you with the bottom of my shoe.

I believe this means Hiram will have to have some beer at WS May 26th to entice the Old Lord out of his lair. If he's lucky, and Elf is in a generous mood, he'll get something that the Old One can't get in East Bumfuck. That might entice him over.

Because if fear of a whoopin' from Nymph doesn't get him to attend, then he doesn't value his life sanity.

But I suspect his sanity is on the wane anyway. Anyone who would choose some chewy beer over some of the best and most interesting absinthes in the world has got to have rocks in his head. :poke:

Good Lord, DP! Truer words were never spoken. I wanted a sip of everything on the table but I didn't come close to 25%. Heaven on Earth, I'm tellin' ya and the only thing better than the drink was the company. I gotta go back.

Tonight, I grabbed a glass of verte while I made the Maple glazed salmon and stirred the hazelnut - feta ravioli. A nice spring salad with the last of my watercress started the meal. The Punk proclaimed, "I could eat the salmon with a straw." He was exaggerating but yes, I do salmon right. That was a fine glass of absinthe and I'm heading back for another.

:cheers:

Oh wow ...... that sounds so good! We had a couple of Old Rasputins with cheese, tomato, avocado quesadillas on the grill. That salmon and ravioli sound divine. :thumbup:

Really? Huh. They're as different as night and day to me.

Rangpur martini for me tonight. I'm in a limey mood.

nundual(post#8652)

Tonight I'm drinking seltzer-after 1 trip to the frig,go figure.

It's very similar to club soda. :cheers: enjoy you're Duplais and I'll sip my seltzer

Of the Vertes I've tried (Montmartre, Eduard, Ike, Un Emile), it's most similar to the Eduard. It's nothing like the others. I guess I didn't realize what I said was so noobish.

If he's lucky, and Elf is in a generous mood, he'll get something that the Old One can't get in East Bumfuck.
Ha!

I made the Maple glazed salmon and stirred the hazelnut - feta ravioli.

I grilled some glazed salmon too. Marinated it in Sailor Jerry's Rum, maple syrup, a little soy, a little Worcestershire, and a dash of sesame oil. Smoked it over some Jack Daniels hickory chips for about 5 minutes, then grilled it. I could have eaten a pound.

Oh, and absinthe.

Of course, being well stocked with Bell's Expedition, Flyer's 140 Schilling, and remnants of a once powerful Abyss Empire, probably nothing will entice me out of my recliner.

Except perhaps a visit to Flyer's itself, in Oak Harbor. :biggrin:

I made the Maple glazed salmon

I grilled some glazed salmon too. I could have eaten a pound.

Oh, and absinthe.

Brilliant minds, Elf.

Oh, did I mention I was drinking some kick-ass Brazil Daterra - Yellow Bourbon coffee this morning? B)

I wish I would have a had a cup following the salmon and ravioli last night. I think it would have ended the meal perfectly. This is my first from Brazil Daterra so I can't speak with any degree of experience or compare to anything else from their farms. The first sip reminded me of the feta-hazelnut ravioli from last night's dinner with a bit of sweetness throughout the drink. The roasting artist put a nice medium roast on the beans (a personal preference of mine), it is mellow, complex and very satisfying.

Of the Vertes I've tried (Montmartre, Eduard, Ike, Un Emile), it's most similar to the Eduard. It's nothing like the others. I guess I didn't realize what I said was so noobish.

I have trouble to. the best I can come up with is anise and I like it, the rest takes time and a lot of taste tasting. Most Absinthes are complicated in there tastes and require numerous tastings and comparisons. :thumbup:

One thing is certain learning Absinthe is a gas and we have a lot to learn. :cheers:

Good lord, I'm drained from a great day out in the old mountains surrounding humble Puddleville. International

Workers' Day holiday here. A quiet day in the country after the bonfires to cook the winter witch last night. I made a fatal flaw last night at the fire to finish my night with the devil boys of the village (that is the young heathens that remind me of myself a couple decades back, and who represent the devils in the village on St. Nicholas day). They smoked my ass. Today I took my boys on a walk up the mountain, stopping for ice cream and beer at a favorite restaurant in the heights. Walked down the meadows of the ski slope and took in views I had never seen, not being a skier. Just beautiful. A beer with my (biker) neighbor after dinner while watching a rather exciting third period of the Czech-America world cup hockey game. I'm spent. And glowing. A great day. :cheers:

Actually, from that group, I would agree that the Duplais is most like the Edouard. The Montmartre is very atypical, the Eich is much more spicy and the Un Emile is... well you know. Both the Duplais and the Edouard are really good herby Vertes. Try the other Jades. I love the Edouard but my favourite might be the Verte Suisse.

What Shaihulud said. With that line-up, I can see how the Duplais would remind you of the Eduard.

Except, I think I like the PF 1901 the best. Um, maybe...

PB: "Today I stopped for ice cream and beer at a favorite restaurant."

You know how to live, PB! :cheers:

Had an Old Fashioned and a glass of P31V and went to the Days of the New concert here in town. My girlfriend and I met on the DOTN forum in late 2004 when she was living in Arizona. We had fun telling Travis Meeks our story after the show was over. Had a Terrapin RPA on tap while I was there.

I'm tired.