DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Correct response, TR. ;)

Martini to start the evening. No orange bitters so we hung with the more basic approach with the Plymouth. Maybe the Hendrix would have been a better choice. Hmmm.

Watercress salad, butter and herb pasta and sushi grade yellow fin with a bacon glaze. Yes, bacon glaze. :devil:

I know, wrong thread.

Three Floyd's Brian Boru to mourn a dwindling opportunity.

Dwindling is right, Martin.

I know their Dark Lord, and Dreadnaught have never been available through the internet, but now it seems like none of their beers are attainable, at least through Vintage Cellar, which used to carry a few of them.

Mournful 'tis.

I'm back from the bar and I'm slurring my text!

I am happy to report I've had my first and second Scotch's ever. I know it is sad that I would be de-virginized at 39, but I really did enjoy them. I had a Dewers and a Jameson. I prefered the Dewers. Oh, those and a few Tanq and tonics and a couple Trout Slayers. Yah it was a good night for the drinking after an horrific day for us grayling.

Three Floyd's Brian Boru to mourn a dwindling opportunity.
:3869-sadbanana:

And to think I almost had a something to hold over 'Somphe's head to gloat over.

Another three day weekend for me. Woo hoo! It is race weekend, so the schools have declared it a 'holiday'.

Gotta hav yer prioriteys. Racing over education. :wacko:

Yeah, I view the weekend of a Talladega race as a holiday, too.

Funny I chose to start working again this weekend.

I am happy to report I've had my first and second Scotch's ever. I know it is sad that I would be de-virginized at 39, but I really did enjoy them. I had a Dewers and a Jameson.
I hate to be pedantic but you have still only had your first Scotch. Jameson's is Irish Whiskey.

Don't worry: it is nowhere near as bad as confusing absinthe and absinth!

I hate to be a snob (not!), but he has yet to have his first Scotch.

If it's not a single malt, it's hardly worth drinking.

Yeah, I view the weekend of a Talladega race as a holiday, too.

Funny I chose to start working again this weekend.

What?! Where else would you wear your racing jacket? Although, it would be too hot to wear a jacket. By the end of the day, most people don't wear anything.

Heh, four day weekend here. Tuesday's May-day, witch-burning bonfire and big-drunk the eve of. Now I gotta start the kettle grill for the pork bellies. Yup, pork bellies. It's not just southern food anymore. B)

Gotta finger out what to drink too. The fountain's iced.

Hmm, Ok well I'll have to visit the upscale bar this weekend and try the good stuff. I was obviously in a dive last night.

Nymphadora, that is so sad. Is this a one time deal or throughout the "race Season"? I guess when I was a kid we took the first monday off of deer season, but it was never officially declared a holiday.

Hmm, Ok well I'll have to visit the upscale bar this weekend and try the good stuff.
Absomphe's profile at FV lists his favourites as Laguvulin or older Ardbeg vintages. I'm a long-term Macallan and Highland Park fan (not mixed unless you want to try to make your own Famous Grouse blend).

It was recomended I try the "Macallan 12 year, or the Talisker 10 year" by Absomphe and the "Johnny Walker Gold Label....... the Oban, Talisker or the Macallan." by Shabba. I'm leaning towards trying the Talisker this weekend since I imagine I'd like a strong peaty drink and it should be a decent representation of what Scotch should be.

Apparently the local upscale bar has a decent variety available: Macallan 12yo single malt, Oban, Glen Livet 12yo single malt, Glen Fiddich 12yo, Talisker 10yo single malt, Johnny Walker gold 18yo blended, Johnny Walker black 12yo, White Horse 12yo, Chivas Regal 12yo.

Last night: Some Kenwood Pinot Noir to start, followed by a nice Chardonnay with grilled salmon which was marinated in balsamic vinegar and honey. And what the hell...we topped off the evening with a bottle of Gewürztraminer for the hell of it.

Tonight: I plan on finding myself a less expensive Montalcino (sp?), which I've never had. I'm big on Italian reds, so methinks I'll enjoy it. I'm not even sure of the flavor profile, but I'd like to try it.

My thing is very earthy reds with smoother tanins. The more 'shroomy, smokey, tobaccoish and earthy, the better. A decent amount of bottle age is right up my alley, but my wallet usually forbids me from purchasing older wines.

Edited by precenphix

Mr. Fish: It is not declared an official holiday; it is a 'weather day'. There is no school that day because the administration know students would not show up due to the races. We have the same 'weather day' when the races are in town every April.

Thass right! Dewar's is just another blend, one of many.

Precenphix, if you mean Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, this is very good choice and on the tannin side, though very nice one was D.O.C.G. 1995 AFAIR.

I am after 1 Portuguese, 2 Austrian mit Pradikat and one from Moldova (wines, I mean), not counting LCV. Pan, here the longer weekend has already started, so greetings to all :cheers:

Mr. Fish: It is not declared an official holiday; it is a 'weather day'. There is no school that day because the administration know students would not show up due to the races. We have the same 'weather day' when the races are in town every April.

Do they also do it in October?

While we're on scotch, which I've just recently gotten into within the past year, where do you lot think Glenmorangie (my fave) stands?

I would consider it as a single malt Scotch with a nice character and complex nose, if light in alcohol.

Do they also do it in October?

If I remember correctly, it was during fall break.

You Poles. If it isn't Spiritus, you consider it light in alcohol.

:laf: :thumbup: You are damn' right. Is it my fault that I prefer stronger whiskies?

But wholeheartedly I do recommend: Martin, you should try Polish Spirit! Is it already available in the States? Because I was reading that not only absinthe is not welcome.

It depends on where in the States you are. Some states ban it or sell only a 75% version of it. You can buy it in Illinois, but not in Chicago. And I've had some--a guy was drinking it at a friend's party and offered it to me. It was interesting, but not something I'd want to try again anytime soon.