DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Don't know - never had a hot toddy. Grandma's honey, whiskey, & lemon was served room temp so everything dissolved better, but not particularly warm. Never had the onion in it, but she'd cut the ends off of an onion and put it on top of the wood stove to cook - then give us pieces of it to eat if we wanted. Tasted like onion rings, without the batter. B) I think part of the idea was that the cooking of the onion was supposed to cleanse the air in the room - probably a traditional myth, but could be there was something to it. Maybe whatever it is in an onion that makes you cry is also antimicrobial.

Jimzuma, any word on your delayed order?

Hey Jetzster, I finally got it! 33 days later but I finally got the Ike and FG from Markus. I just wrote him and told him all is well in my house-

Some new ones over the last few days.

Picked up a Jeroboam (well, 3 litres, that's pretty close to a Jeroboam) of Stone Double Bastard Ale, which was shared with friends. One of my favorite beers.

Tried a new port I found at Trader Joes. I can't recall the name, i've blocked it out (starts with a T iirc); but it was a California winery. It was something like seven bucks for a split, on sale (normally a couple bucks more than that). Probably the worst port I've ever tasted. Raisins in sugar syrup. The only port I've ever sinked. The entire bottle. Amazingly bad. I've had cheaper ports from Australia that tasted better than this crap.

On the recommedation of a Russian friend, I picked up a bottle of Balika #9 special lager. I don't normally like lagers, but this was really good.

Also picked up a bottle of Sake, Bride of the Fox. It's a good premium sake, but not really to my taste. A little too dry, and not as strongly flavoured as I prefer. Moon on the Water is my current favorite.

I think part of the idea was that the cooking of the onion was supposed to cleanse the air in the room - probably a traditional myth,
Damned if I can find the source of the tradition (besides a bunch of pagany-wagany sites) but burning an onion is a traditional banishing/cleansing thing. I recall one with the cut quarters of an onion placed in the corners of a room for a specified time, then bound back together with red yarn, and then burned.

Fish's Poseidon Imperial Stout 2002, aged in French oak.

This stuff continues to intensify in flavour as it ages, provided it has been stored carefully, which this bottle must have been.

Huge flavors of sour cabernet, wood, burnt currants, figs, dates, prunes, cocoa, and just enough hops to slightly dry it all out. Big body, and a lasting, lacing head to this bottle, which is unusual for an over three year old sample of this stout.

I would pick this one over Dogfish Head's Worldwide Stout, as well, Gimpy.

Big Hole Headstrong Pale Ale. A nice hoppy ale with a sweet finish. Far from the best but farther still from the worst I've had. Big Hole is a micro brewery in Belgrade, MT.

On an unrelated note, Slate.com says the New Yorker has an article profiling Ted Breaux in the March 13 issue.

T73

I know I'm probably going to get skewered for this but here goes. I received Eich 68 today and am not all that impressed. Don't get me wrong it's good but I think I was expecting something phenomenal from all the hype I have read here. To me it has this funny waxy smell/taste right up front but aftertaste is fine. Anyone else get that funny taste? :huh:

That's the part that reminded me of what I once got from the moon.

La Folie.

04-4613.

Criminy, Conju! I figured you'd seen one too many of those floaty heads. Where've you been? A lot has happened since the end of November.

Now that you've finished the fougerolles, any opinions on the recent crop being extolled by the rest of the WS corps?

I am trying the Eichelberger 68 this evening (no, early morning) and find it just terrific. It is definitely smooth. Too many other COs constrict the ol' esophagus or burn the tongue, but this one is a keeper. Not sure about the "waxy" note mentioned above, but the "earthy" notes are there, without any bite or funk. I don't "get" the comparison to the Montmarte; for me the Ike is vastly superior.

Yeah, I made the leap and ordered two bottles of the Ike. The near universal acclaim among the WS folks had me in giddy anticipation. It's nice having the risk pay off every once in a while... Can't say that for some of my earlier orders.

Very regional, yes! Big sky brewery right here in Missoula. I have never heard of Lang Creek, is that Kalespell/Whitefish (Oh, by the way, I just got "Cow's Bell." I guess one has to say it aloud).

Lang Creek Brewery is west of Kali in Marion, MT.

The story behind my reference to Cow's Bell. Fifteenish years ago, my sister-in-law was trying to book a flight from San Antonio to the Flathead. The travel agent said she couldn't find an airport for Cow's Bell, MT. It has been Cow's Bell to me ever since.

:cheers:

Kalispell. Beautiful place. I passed through (all too briefly) about 15 years ago on my way from the "Going to the Sun" Highway. Making a beeline back to the pediatrician in Logan, UT to find out what was happening to son #1 (~2 years old at the time). His "slapped face" rash had me and the wife pretty rattled. Turned out to be Fifth's disease. Missed seeing the Sawtooth range in Idaho on account of our hasty return, but the peace of mind knowing he wasn't going to croak was a lot more precious.

Gotta get back out that way!

Kalispell.  Beautiful place.  I passed through (all too briefly) about 15 years ago on my way from the "Going to the Sun" Highway. 

Gotta get back out that way!

I bet we could arrange to meet and share a drink at Logan's Pass. Now, wouldn't that be spectacular?

Better wait a few months because the snow is probably close to 40 feet deep right now.

T73

I bet we could arrange to meet and share a drink at Logan's Pass.  Now, wouldn't that be spectacular?

Better wait a few months because the snow is probably close to 40 feet deep right now.

T73

That would be awesome but who is driving back down?

I was hiking with a buddy there once (to hidden lake) and it was so windy that my friend (6'4" 350lbs) jumped straight up in the air and landed three feet away.

That would be awesome but who is driving back down?

I was hiking with a buddy there once (to hidden lake) and it was so windy that my friend (6'4" 350lbs) jumped straight up in the air and landed three feet away.

We try to get to Logan's Pass when it opens in late June, hike toward Hidden Lake and snowboard back to the Pass. A couple of drinks, a couple of hours appreciating Glacier National Park and riding back to the Pass should surely clear the head. If not, a designated driver is always a good thing.

Maggie, a couple of Junes ago:

This stuff continues to intensify in flavour as it ages, provided it has been stored carefully, which this bottle must have been.

Huge flavors of sour cabernet, wood, burnt currants, figs, dates, prunes, cocoa, and just enough hops to slightly dry it all out. Big body, and a lasting, lacing head to this bottle, which is unusual for an over three year old sample of this stout.

Sounds pretty amazing. Have never seen it around here though; even though I can find lots of other Fish products (the Leviathan barlywine is amazing, wish I could still get the Jeroboams of that stuff).

Tonight it is Butterbeer (to celebrate the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on DVD) and Spiced Rum to go along with our Caribbean dinner of West Indies style chicken curry, and deep fried plantain.

Until this friday, I had never heard about a thing called a plantain. I ate some this sunday, deep fried.

Right now, I'm enjoying that I won't have to be at work tomorrow before 3 PM; that means that I'd probably chase the glass of Ike I'm enjoying right now with something else. Or just another Ike; it is tasty stuff.

ShaiHulud,

How'd you make your butterbeer? We made it over the holidays with cream soda and butterschnapps. It was SO good.

I'd like to try plantains. For us tonight, it was grill. I am a vegan, and the kids and mister are carnivorous, so they had chicken breast, spinach spaghetti w/garlic, grilled zucchini, and I had the same + grilled tomatoes and onions(and minus the chicken). I tried to do grilled tofu, and it was as horrendous as it sounds. I did make a peanut sauce that was outstanding with the onions-lots of Thai chili paste and garlic+coconut milk, tamari and peanut butter :heart: .

Sounds pretty amazing. Have never seen it around here though; even though I can find lots of other Fish products (the Leviathan barlywine is amazing, wish I could still get the Jeroboams of that stuff).

Both the Leviathan and the Poseidon are retired brews now, unfortunately.

Since Fish took over the Leavenworth Brewery, it has retrenched regarding its more extreme brews, in favor of its bigger selling, more mundane products, so grab any stray bottles of either you can score.