DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

It is. To 1½ ounces vodka, you add half a cheese steak, which you've pureed in a blender. Garnish with a French fry, and serve straight up or on the rocks.

Edited by Brooks

That's what everyone told me about poutine, but I just spent four months in Montreal, and I'm here to tell you that the poutine I had totally knocked my socks off. Like cheese steak, it's lethal to your arteries, so you need to practice moderation.

I saw Tony Bourdain scarfing it down. And I thought the US was into junk food.

:no: :puke:
(MASTERPC has led a sheltered life, but he'll come around.)

Can't wait to try your cheesy, freezy summer version, Martin. Does it have a name?

Tony Bourdain eats poutine? Vindicated!

I spent 26 years in Pennsylvania and I couldn't think of a single accreditment to the commonwealth. Sad.

Well there is Yeungling and Rolling Rock beer.

Pensieve and I have a running disagreement about Poutine. She claims that it cannot be poutine without the cheese curds. I claim that "patat frite avec sauce" is also referred to as "poutine" in Kay-bek (I lived there for a year and had poutine without cheese). In her defense every definition seems to include the curds.

In her defense every definition seems to include the curds.
I'm not saying you're wrong, Shai, but I wouldn't have bothered trying poutine, were it not for those cheese curds. I can honestly say that for me, the curds MAKE it.

Seriously, without the curds what is it? Basically just fried mashed potatoes with gravy.

What kind of cheese curds are we talking about? Is it the consistency of a ricotta or a cottage cheese? Is it firm like crumbled cheddar or feta-like?

No no, I got that the potatoes were french fries, not mashed. I was making an (admittedly awkward) analogy between gravy-covered fries and fried mashed potatoes. Fry em, mash em, stick em in a stew, they're still just po-tay-toes.

Still...I must try this poutine. It sounds delicious.

Though I still say David Ives was right: the cheese steak is a food nobody in their right mind would ever think to order.

NO NO NO..... Mayonnaise is the food nobody in their right mind would ever think to order....

I spent 26 years in Pennsylvania and I couldn't think of a single accreditment to the commonwealth. Sad.

Well there is Yeungling and Rolling Rock beer.

I think it depends on where you are in PA. You go past 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia, I have a tendency to agree with you.

What kind of cheese curds are we talking about? Is it the consistency of a ricotta or a cottage cheese? Is it firm like crumbled cheddar or feta-like?
None of the above. It's a unique consistency which can't be described without making it sound inedible, which it most assuredly is not.

It has a bit of resilience and bounce, and when it's fresh, it squeaks a little when you bite down on it. And then the heat of the gravy melts it. Yesss!

I've never encountered anything like it in the States, although curds are, I believe, a natural stage in the cheesemaking process.

Is the consistency anything like well made chili cheese fries or no?

I've never had that dish, but assuming it uses an American cheese product, the consistency wouldn't resemble curds. Curds are their own little universe.

I also need to stress the IMPORTANCE of getting recommendations from poutine-loving locals as to whose poutine is good, and whose isn't.

The Montreal McDonald's has it on the menu, and that's the last place in the world you'd want to try it.

Poutine is a great 3:00 a.m. dish, if you've been up all night partying.

Edited by Brooks

anything[/i] on camera for a little more noteriety. :pirate:

Mean ole' crotchity, antagonistic, bastid!

:heart:

But the stuff is still mine, mine, all mine!!!!!!!! :D

NO NO NO..... Mayonnaise is the food nobody in their right mind would ever think to order....

What do you put on fries?

(other than gravy and cheese curds, I mean)

I think I might do something wild and CRAZY tonight!

Might try (shhhhhhh. Don't tell on me now, okay?) some of this stuff called "absinthe". Psst! Our secret.

I think I might do something wild and CRAZY tonight!

Might try (shhhhhhh. Don't tell on me now, okay?) some of this stuff called "absinthe". Psst! Our secret.

No, MPC! Don't do it. Let me save you from yourself. Follow my instructions carefully now. Put all of your absinthe in a box. Make sure it is well-packed to avoid breakage. Ship it to me, and I will hold on to it for you. Just looking out for a friend. ;)

Okay, doc. good idea. I just came back from the post office and wrote "good absinthe for doc friend to hold for me" on the package so they wouldn't worry about what's inside. Check your mail now, here? :heart:

If I get motivated, I'm going to cook up some arctic char. But I'm not sure what else to have with it. I'm not one of those into a protein based diet. But it sounds like poutine would be something to enjoy some day.

What I also want is a good NEW YORK CHEESECAKE recipe. I've always wanted to make cheesecake. That damn good NY stuff. The stuff that makes you fall off the stool at the diner. I have folks that have promised such a recipe, but they haven't delivered.

Hm. Already 7:30. The char is not looking very likely as I'm already working on my first absinthe. I guess I'll reheat my veggie soup and have some really nice bread.

See ya.

What I also want is a good NEW YORK CHEESECAKE recipe. I've always wanted to make cheesecake. That damn good NY stuff. The stuff that makes you fall off the stool at the diner. I have folks that have promised such a recipe, but they haven't delivered.

How about this recipe? It may not rival Lady M Cake Boutique on East 78th street but looking at the ingredients, it looks mighty good and rich!