DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I'm not sure how much you're into food but one of my fave California offerings is the Garlic Roasted Dungeness Crab from Crustacean Restaurant! I was there in September and hail those folks for serving something so great! Don't forget to order the garlic noodles, to boot! Sinful! I capitalize because it is, actually, all that AND a bag of chips!

Oh, and P. - I had a weird dream about you. It wasn't dirty, or noting. Just weird. You were in a baking competition on the Food Network. Weird.

That's weird. Though I'm very proud of my cooking abilities, baking is by far my biggest weakness. :)

My last boss's specialty was baking/ pastries and I just couldn't get anything past the basics for some reason.

Dang! I can't sleep. The only "secondary" I get from the stuff. I am wide awake, and have to leave on a flight early. Dang. Maybe one more glass and to bed while I re-figure the ipod. Does this happen to anyone else?

I would think it is more due to flight anxiety than secondary affects. But I could be wrong.

Tonight for myself and a friend, PF 1901, UE Rouge, and during dinner 2004 Alesia Sonama Coast Pinot Noir from Rhys vineyards. One of the best I have ever had :)

Love that Pinot Noir. But then again, I love pinot noir.

I actually love to fly. Love the whole experience. Habit of upbringing. Mom designs planes.

I really can't sleep well after drinking absinthe. One glass I'm okay. But 4 before bedtime? Keeps me wide awake. Okay, I am now on #5

OK I've heard the wormwood blanche mentioned a lot around here but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it an HG or CO or a nickname to a recognized brand?

A CO offered by LdF, but sold out. I' not sure whether any more will be made, but I feel confident that we haven't seen the last of that kind of experiments. Stay tuned.

What were all you people doing on the forum at 7:50 am? Don't you people have jobs?

On my job, I sit by computer, and that means reading and posting on forums ... like, right now.

I've noticed the sleep thing as well. Could this be why the green hour was 5-6pm?

I used to have that sleep problem, too. In fact, for a while I wouldn't have absinthe after 9:00 pm. I've noticed on several occasions, that doesn't happen now. Of course, it could simply be a matter of building a tolerance for any number of different herbs. Four glasses of absinthe over the course of the evening last night and I still enjoyed my six hours of restful sleep.

Pan Buh, I thought you lived in the Georgia mountains with your boys. Thanks for the clarification. Don't know why I thought that.

On my job, I sit by computer, and that means reading and posting on forums

Me too, but I only do it four days a week. My weekend starts Thursday but I've got tons of publishing work to do at home. At least I can drink absinthe openly here.

Edited by Jaded Prole

I don't know if it's related, but when I was new to absinthe I used way too much sugar, and now I rarely use it. The ease of going to sleep has increased as my use of sugar decreased. Maybe I'm just sensitive to sugar.

Actually, T73's herb tolerance theory makes more sense. I dunno.

Better question is what is T73 doing here at 5:30am?

To clarify, it's 1:30pm for Gertz and I.

Because I get to visit with my friends Gertz and PB! Makes you wonder why all those slackasses are still in bed, eh? ;)

8 hours of sleep? Too much! By getting up 2 hours earlier a day, I get a free "day" every 12 days. My logic is probably faulty but early morning is my favorite time of day.

To clarify, it's 1:30pm for Gertz and me.

That's what I thought you said.

Yes, I'm also Sixer's puppet, folks.

Wanna make something of it? :harhar:

Edited by Absomphe

Mine as well. I do mornings and who needs more than 5 hours, sheesh.

I have trouble sleeping after drinking absinthe, restless. My dreams are so vivid though.

Vodka will make me rest quietly. Years of testing.

To clarify, it's 1:30pm for Gertz and me.

That's what I thought you said.

Yes, I'm also Sixer's puppet, folks.

Wanna make something of it? :harhar:

Uh, would you believe that's my stage name? No?

Then how about the local translation of my real name?

Well, something's half-true there anyway.

Besides, it was 5:30 in the morning.

In Montana.

Sheesh.

Regarding the absinthe & poor sleep, I wonder if it is due to the impact of alcohol on sleep. Alcohol is a CNS depressant, and will make one initially sleepy. However, it has also been shown to impair the quality of sleep, especially the REM or dreaming portion of sleep. This is why alcohol and even prescription sleeping medications, which work on the same receptors as alcohol, are not good sleep aids to use over a long period of time. People deprived of REM sleep can experience cognitive impairment, depression, anxiety, deceased ability to cope with stress, learning problems, and more.

Peridot, I know what you mean about the cumin smell being like BO. I have always noticed that whenever I'm having chili or salsa or mexican food with cumin in it. Weird.

People deprived of REM sleep can experience cognitive impairment, depression, anxiety, deceased ability to cope with stress, learning problems, and more.
That explains a lot. :twitch:

Seriously I have been feeling some of those symptoms lately and my sleep has been irregular. I feel like I've just had a little quickie session....

I grew up with folks who wash so I'd never really gotten a good whiff of BO until I was 10 and met a distantly related redneck who was drunk all to hell and hadn't washed in days. I said, "you smell like old tacos."

Drunk BO is a smell all its own. When I used to work in the Psych Intake Dept. at a hospital I would always have to go down to the ER and interview people who would regularly drink a case or more of beer per day or several fifths of something-or-other. When you've got that much alcohol in your body it just starts to ooze out of your pores. I will never forget that smell as long as I live. :blink:

I've never told a smelly person that they smell like old tacos, but I regularly tell my dog that he smells like hotdogs or smoked chicken. He really does!

Never sit in a theater behind a homeless drunk eating overly buttered popcorn :puke:

(I just wanted a reason to use the puke emoticon)

But that actually happened. Sitting there watching a movie and this homeless guy with a box of popcorn stumbles into the seat in front of me. The combination of smells was overpowering.

---- furry ones --- I get it!

Edited by Lister

Being near overly buttery popcorn is enough to make me puke without the homeless drunk.