DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Im currently drinking byproduct of the exxon and bp disasters that has currently manifest as a slick in my (oh.. So yummy) glass of absent. (gimme a break... Christmas broke me.)

Angry Orchard cider followed by a bottle of Mirror, Mirror from Deschutes Brewery.

Absomphe, on 09 Oct 2015 - 2:32 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 08 Oct 2015 - 4:59 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 05 Oct 2015 - 2:27 PM, said:snapback.png

Absomphe, on 03 Oct 2015 - 2:19 PM, said:snapback.png

Fremont Brewing Brew 1000.

This was to celebrate Darkest Day last night, and it was followed by a Fremont 2015 Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Edition Stout.

Followed by a Bell's Black Note Stout.

Edited by Absomphe

Momokawa Organic Nigori. :heart: Lots of citrusy notes on this one. Tastes of sweet honeydew, papaya, coconut, flowers, and cantaloupe. Sharp lemony citrus on the back-end to cut some of the sweetness. Creamy mouthful with a nice viscosity (as you would expect from a nigori).

Highland Brewery, Kashmir IPA. At work, even. The boss brought in a 12 pack mixer. Everybody else in the building left at 2pm. Proceeding onwards and upwards from there at home, post haste.

Tozai Typhoon Futsu Sake. Clean citrus acidity. Light cantaloupe melon, lemon, and some shitake mushroom thrown into the mix. Little noticeable alcohol (especially for a 14.9% brew). The flavors are just a little too subtle and subdued for us to actual say we’d pick it up again. Very clean, though.

Edited by Alfred Jarry

Did they serve your sake hot or chilled? Usually (but not always) premium sake is served slightly chilled (similar to a white wine). Then, again, there are some nice sakes that drink well slightly warmed up, too.

Hakushika Junmai Ginjo. Very light and clean (as you would expect from a ginjo). Tastes of lemon citrus, faint mushroom, and cantaloupe melon. Very, very clean. Nice acidity on the back end to balance out some of the fruity sweetness you get on the tip of the tongue. Good sake; but, again, like many premium sakes, the flavors are just a bit too faint and subtle for us to warrant a second purchase. We see this pairing best with some nigiri or sashimi.

SakeMoto Premium Junmai. Orange peel, some citrus acidity, and a huge tutti frutti component dominates this brew. A little bit of earthiness or mushroom on the back end. Light bodied, dry, and extremely clean. We would like to see the flavors of this brew be beefed up a bit, though (as is true with most of the sakes we’ve sampled).

Edited by Alfred Jarry

It was room temp. or cabin temp. if I recall correctly.

I shall give it another go though. Thanks.

Edited by greytail

This was to celebrate Darkest Day last night, and it was followed by a Fremont 2015 Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee Edition Stout.

What the hell is that?

It's pretty nice, I thought. Over ice for me, the Mrs. likes it in a root beer float. Having had the Mcgillicuddy's, which was overly sweet and 17%, I thought I'd try this one. At 35% it's much nicer. Plus, you can really taste all the ingredients individually . Ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, sweet birch, and star anise. After running a chainsaw, and dragging and burning brush all weekend, I needed rye whiskey Sunday night, and plenty of it. But, for sitting down and watching the first episode of the new and last season of Downton Abbey last night, this was a right nice sip.

The story

Blackmaker is the name given to an old man. A self-schooled herbalist of sorts. A dark and grumbly man of the woods. His days were spent tending his many herbs and botanicals on the slopes of the nothern White Mountains. These herbs were often combined in experimental concoctions and sold at the local town market… which is where they came to get their hands on the best root beer extract there ever was. Wintergreen, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, anise, sweet birch.