DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I just opened up a bottle of 2012 L'Ancienne. I've done a reversal lately with this absinthe... I used to enjoy it most at a higher dilution, but these days, thick and full is best for me... I'm at about 3.5:1-4:1 with half a sugar cube, when 5:1 is where I lived. Man, the flavors are strong and rich this way. Good stuff.

In the gutter with an ice cold bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 Electric Mellon. "An electrifying and tangy treat". :3872-DrunkBanana: (Tomorrow morning's gonna suck) :dead:

Tonight will start off with a Jade N.O. in the back garden followed up by a nice South African red at the local Vietnamese Pho restaurant with my lovely wife.

Did a vertical tasting of some vintage PF last night. One glass from c1900 from the Bordeaux cache, and one glass from the c1900-1910 Cannes cache. Amazing how different they were. The former louched up a butterscotch color, with aromas of hyssop and wormwood. Anise was dialed down a bit, and there was some heat on the finish as well as a bit of corkish astringency on the finish. The Cannes cache louched up a greener color with hints of amber. Anise was much cleaner and well balanced with less woodiness and no heat.

Shared the experience over Google+ with Scott (who helped provide the Bordeaux sample) and Joseph. A good night! Hopefully we'll have more attendees next time.

Brian - I definitely notice the "woodiness" in the PF c1900. Could detect it in the aroma (neat) but didn't place it until it was actually louched up and tasted. Didn't find it offensive or anything - just "present"... at ~114 years old... I'd probably taste a little woody too :)

Going to sample this again later today with a small bit of sugar.

at ~114 years old... I'd probably taste a little woody too :)

:laf:

Must resist...must resist...must resist...

Pelican Brewing's Mother of all Storms today.

Edited by Absomphe

Surprisingly warm here for the "dead of winter" and frighteningly little snow pack although great for poking a fire and contemplating life's mysteries. A Sazerac never hurt the contemplation process. :cheers: