DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

I was excited to find a raspberry pyment I bottled in October, 2004. Unfortunately, it was not properly stored and was disappointing. That by example explains why I have no intention of going into whiskey or brandy production.

So.....how was it?

I'll address this first, it does not taste like vintage Pernod Fils. It, to me, is more reminiscent of 1940's or 1950's Tarragona. Thuir is located closer to Spain/Catalonia than Pontarlier so maybe they were going for that profile? For older vintage Pernod, IMHO, Stefano has really nailed the flavor and aroma of Edouard Pernod. Pernod should hire him as their still master. I'd be interested to try Stefano's interpretation of what he believes Pernod tasted like when it was fresh.

The new Pernod is much better than their previous efforts. The base is nice and the herb bill is improving. I do taste the Pontarlier wormwood, but I really need to look for it. I don't agree with their business practices of buying up all of the Pontarlier wormwood stock- It's kind of like Walmart and I don't shop there. This absinthe will most likely be easily available and stocked in most commercial bars but for those that really want the ne plus ultra, they will know to look elsewhere. Craft makers like Stefano, Luc, Marc, Gwydion, and Joe will be producing better absinthes.

I really wanted to crack the bottle and say "god damn, Pernod really came through on this effort" but I am not. The best effort they've made in the past 10 years, to me would be, the Henri-Louis Pernod Anis. That was pretty tasty. If anyone has a bottle, drop me a line, It was not an absinthe but it was really well made.

I drink a lot of absinthe. A LOT. Is vintage Pernod great? Yes. is it better than anything available now? Yes. Do I think everyone should try to re-create it? No! Just make great absinthe! If you are setting out to make people believe that you can resurrect the dead you better have more than a wagon, a tent, and a well paid medicine man.

Indeed, thanks for sharing! Though the selling out part happened long long ago, and I doubt they were actually trying to achieve a specific Pernod Fils/ PF-Tarragona/ PTFA flavor profile. But it sounds like P-R can at least be proud that it sucks less than their previous efforts.

A delightful local Montpelier CO, discovered in a flask in my backpack after many forgotten months. Flask ageing has served it well!

Deluge, your kind words were noted. I have a glass or two waiting for you whenever the opportunity arrives.

Tonight, we are toasting a friend in Colorado with a glass of Vilya absinthe and a glass of Kilchoman Machir Bay Single malt.

We're winding down a long week with a pleasant Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Kids, this is a great time to be alive. :cheers:

Scratch one bottle of Blues Cat, well enjoyed over many months. I'll miss its anetholey goodness, but it's nice to know there's plenty of other great choices.

Edited by Green Baron

La Fee Absinthe Parisienne, I put that dusty bottle to good use and braved a review then sinked the rest of the glass.

Now palate cleansing with Mansinthe, the contents of the bottle are getting low and I've saved some awesome stuff for after it's been put in "the boneyard™"! I must admit I do dig it though. B)

Ten Fidy is a perfect beer for this time of year. Regrettably I have none, but enjoyed some Old Rasputin the other week. Tonight it's a tasty combo of Aviations and Pacifique.

Had sazerac's tonight made with Darby's Reserve small batch Rye tonight. Pretty smooth and not bad for a smaller distiller out of SC.

And yes I still am alive, I don't die that easily.

Finished my BAS in Web and Internet Development in May and have been taking some down time.

Cheers DW. What the sashimi enthusiast, evil clown and green manatee all said!

Jade VS posts always tempt me to dip into my supply, but I must resist for a legitimate special occasion. For now I'm happy with a damn fine cup of coffee.

Edited by Green Baron