DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

But then why does every absinthe bottle, forum, or any other absinthe information venue tell you that's the way to do it? I mean, someone new to absinthe is learning off the bat that if you want to drink absinthe properly you need a spoon and a sugar cube to do it? That's how I started because that's what I was told to do. Once I tried it without, it was a much better drink.

It's because that's the way it was done in its heyday since at that time people preferred much sweeter libations, in general, than they do today. Personally, I wouldn't say without sugar patently makes it a better drink, however for me it does. I've heard about peeps that still like anything from a little to plenty of sugar in their absinthe

Think how one likes his/her coffee. ;^>

Of course, but, when you first started drinking coffee, were you told you drink it with cream and sugar cause that's how they did it back so and so?

I'm not ranting, and it is very cool to watch, the whole spoon and sugar thing. Is that maybe why? Because of the little extra flair it adds to the mystery of the drink?

My question is not whether to, or not use it, but why it is the suggested modus operandi? As fpb and Andrew have explained.

Ok. Back to the drinkin'.....coffee with a nip of Walton Waters. Cream, no sugar.

And sahiri, I like the way you're drinkin'. :)

I don't think it's essential, at least not in 2013. Perhaps during the Belle Epoque but that was over a hundred years ago, when men wore suits and hats and women wore bustles and leg of mutton sleeves.

My question is not whether to, or not use it, but why it is the suggested modus operandi? As fpb and Andrew have explained.

Traditions are, and remain, traditions because they have a lot of momentum of their own. And don't discount this.

Sipped some absinthe from a bottle with a handmade label. All it had on it was #30* 10/12/08 71%.

The folks sharing it thought it was tasty.

It's good to form your own opinion.

Cheers!

I decided to pick up some Maraska to bolster my dwindling supply of Luxardo maraschino liqueur. After a taste test, not bad, but I gotta go with the Luxardo in the future- it's more complex and rich vs the rather straightforward Maraska.

I'd like to try at least 10 different kinds of Leopold Bros boozes but unfortunately since K&L stopped delivering to WA I know of no vendor that I can order their stuff from.

Meanwhile , the maraschino taste-off continues (TWSS!) with Tempus Fugit recipe Aviations (the only Aviation recipe I've tried so far that actually justifies the use of creme/liqueur violette): 1 1/2 oz gin, 3/4 lemon juice, 1/2 oz marachino liqueur, 1/2 oz TF Liqueur de Violettes.

I'd say for this one the bright fruit of the Maraska has great synergy with the TF violette, resulting in a sweet but super drinkable cocktail. The heavier, duskier complexity of the Luxardo masked the violette and resulted in a much less perfect balance.

Glad I found a role in which the Maraska shines, since I got a whole liter of it. Hopefully I can try a Last Word comparison soon.

These guys don't exclude WA, according to their policy. I actually tried most of Leopold's line about five years ago. I'm telling you, they just don't miss. I'd just about kill for a case of Three Pins.

I tried this version just last week. It's still swimming around my head. Gotta' do that one again.

A whole liter... that's only about 120 Aviations. Better get a backup bottle.

These guys don't exclude WA, according to their policy. I actually tried most of Leopold's line about five years ago. I'm telling you, they just don't miss. I'd just about kill for a case of Three Pins.

Awesome, thanks FPB! And they have so much of what I've been wanting to try...must...exercise...restraint... :dribble:

Edited by Green Baron

It's an embarrassment sometimes to be a US citizen to the rest of the world. That's as "political" as I'm getting here.

Ha! Random names. That's a funny one. :)