DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Georges, don't feel bad. I think quite a few of us were bamboozled at one point or another. Why, I remember while in Germany, 2006, a father-in-law of a friend of mine gave me http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nicks.com.au/upload/image/302169.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nicks.com.au/Product/View/Mr.-Jekyll-Absinthe-(700ml)/8461&h=253&w=190&sz=13&tbnid=r4tPPcj9Ho03xM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=68&zoom=1&usg=__nqfrYU4TqDoSmnZHOFWJaaJV8rw=&docid=LK_UrbzDJTFg8M&sa=X&ei=aq7xUfPXJISc9gSb94HgCw&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=1439

Good thing I found these freaks on this funny colored site, ain't it? :)

I love his review of 'Reality Absinthe"- Ya'll should REALLY go read/reread it.

Not just "not his style", but defiantly so.

I love it when my absinthe cops a little attitude.

Actually, all his reviews are pretty damn funny. These quotes from his review of Century Absinthe:

The color is a deep moss green no doubt do to the unnecessary amount of thujone.

Five years of reading about absinthe and drinking it and I never realized thujone is green.

The finish... seemed waxy but that may be cotton mouth from smoking before that.

:laf:

I almost feel like starting a new thread but I'll just keep it going here: the Esprit Edouard was so stunning that I hardly know what to say. If that's what absinthe was in the Belle Epoque, no wonder it was such a rage. I'm still a novice but I've tasted 12 different brands now, most several times, and I'm getting some idea of the diversity out there. There are many I have greatly enjoyed, but this was the first time I felt one was absolutely perfect in every way. Each sip was breathtaking.

I should mention again that while I'm a novice to absinthe, I'm not a novice to tasting: I spent 23 years in the fine and rare wine business and had way more than my share of legendary bottles. I understand nuance.

It is very hard for me to imagine anything more perfectly composed than the Edouard. Now I'm more eager than ever to taste my pre-ban samples for reference. I may dip into one this weekend, though I've been holding off for special occasions. But curiosity is eating me up.

The real question now is how to go back to 'everyday' absinthes when I know perfection is right there for the asking? Or is there something out there even better??? This sure is fun.

The real question now is how to go back to 'everyday' absinthes ....

A person can always choose to put Eddy in their everyday catagory.

When it really comes to it, one can put any absinthe they want in any catagory that suits them. It doesn't have to work for anyone else. :pirate:

I could be very wrong, but I think that's why they call them personal preferences. :)

I tend to have five or so absinthes in my "everyday" category. They're all yummy. One of them is Edouard, though I guess that makes it an everyweek absinthe with how often I drink it.

I have been enjoying the generosity of a dear friend of mine. I had never gotten into Scotch, and one day a while ago he started my education. Every couple of weeks he brings me a bottle of 12 year old single malt. Latest gift: Glenfiddich.

Seriously, every liquor connoisseur should have a friend like Ron. When he isn't bringing me Scotch, he is bringing exotic beer, wine, rye, etc.

Here's to great friends! :cheers:

Just tasted my first blanche -- Blanchette. I was surprised how much I liked it. The louche was amazing but it ended up looking like non-fat milk, which was disconcerting. But the flavors were luscious and beautifully balanced. (Though I would have liked just bit more bitterness in the finish.)

Still, somehow it still just strikes me as wrong for absinthe not to be green....