DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Vieux Pontarlier.

I just had my first few glasses of Vieux Pontarlier over the past 3 weeks or so. I was surprised by it. Isn't as much of what I consider a traditional flavor profile as expected. Kinda strange... something else going on in there...

I think VP was probably pretty great back in the day...I didn't get a chance to try it until very recently, and I can't say I was super impressed by it.

Sipping a little Gozio with a splash of lemon.

Mmmmm... Gozio. Just had a Revolver Cocktail while watching a movie;

Thanks for recommending it. Your drink sounds acceptable as well.

Random cocktail to finish off two bottles.

2 oz spiced rum

1 oz. Root Liqueur

.5 oz Ginger syrup

A few shakes of Creole Bitters

Not bad but the Root overpowered the Rum!

I just had my first few glasses of Vieux Pontarlier. Kinda strange... something else going on in there...

It's called wormwood. :)

Is that really all it is though? Just an imbalance of the 3 main ingredients tipping heavily toward wormwood? This strangeness is something I don't detect in Ridge, Marteau, Pacifique, et cetera.

Ah hell Joseph I don't know if that's it or not. I have noticed that each distillery has its own personality and that what you notice in VP seems to be characteristic of Emile Pernot. Possibly the grape base, distilling protocol, etc. I prefer to think it's the Pontarlier wormwood, but I'm just an end consumer. I'm sure someone here can explain it much better than I.

Ah hell Joseph I don't know if that's it or not. I have noticed that each distillery has its own personality and that what you notice in VP seems to be characteristic of Emile Pernot. Possibly the grape base, distilling protocol, etc. I prefer to think it's the Pontarlier wormwood, but I'm just an end consumer. I'm sure someone here can explain it much better than I.

As a general newbie of ~2 years - there is still a lot to learn. Besides... I'm the rabidly curious type :)

Palo Santo Marron again.

Beautiful combination of toffee, dark chocolate, espresso, vanilla bean, plum, light citrus, and the kind of sappiness one might find in a good Armagnac.

Started with Kentucky Boubon Barrel Ale and decided I didn't want beer so went to Rangpur and tonic. *shrugs*

Hey Bill! I have a 2011 RMGH special edition to try tonight! :thumbup:

As a general newbie of ~2 years - there is still a lot to learn. Besides... I'm the rabidly curious type :)

Welcome to the club, Gentlemen. Every time I think i know something, I embarrass myself even more. Try to learn something new everyday, right? It keeps life interesting and the Alzheimer's at bay. :cheers:

I tried Muse Verte 2004. I'd heard/read some good things about it and ordered it from absinthes.com. Wow, what a disappointment......... No louche. I mean, for all intents and purposes, none. It was transuscent to the point of almost transparent. Thin, almost flavorless. I poured it out. Next time I'll try a far lower amount of water but that will amount to even less louche. I can't believe I paid good money for this.............

But I made up for it by switching to my newly--purchased Authentique by Fils Emile Pernot. Not rich, but clean and with delightful if restrained flavors. It's not in my top tier but compared to the Muse 2004 it was nirvana.

Still, compared to last night's PF 1901? Sorry, no comparison at all.

I may need to drink a glass of that as a digestif before bed. I need a reminder of why I love this stuff. The only problem is that when I drink really, really good absinthe late at night, I get the urge to add to my collection of antique absinthiana, and that's getting out of hand.... It's all Scott M's fault: his gorgeous book has me drooling. :worshippy:

Georges, where'd you hear/read "good things" about that Muse Verte 2004?

I remember a few people (myself included) commenting that it was interesting, and somewhat eccentric, sharing a particularly austere and earthy dryness with its sibling Muse Verte Pastis.

Of course, that was back in 2004, so those descriptors should be tempered by the passage of time, particularly in view of the remarkable evolution of the absinthe revival since then.

Georges, where'd you hear/read "good things" about that Muse Verte 2004?

Heard from the guys at Vert d'Absinthe in Paris who recommended it last month, read here at the bottom:

best absenthe i have ever tried

First off I would like to say I have not actually tried the original Muse Verte. I have only had

the 2004 special edition La Muse Verte, same bottle, different picture

and more wormwood. The color is a greenish yellow that is truly

beautiful and an aroma that fills the room. I prepared it according to

traditional style and upon tasting it I was shocked how much more rich

and flavorful it was than others. The louch was a show; it turned a

cloudy yellowish green that seemed to shine in the light. I was sad when

I had finished the bottle because it always felt like there was more in

it because the bottle was so heavy and opaque. I just ordered another

bottle of this. So I recommend that you try it!

Maybe it has devolved in the past five years since that note was published. The louche was certainly no show, and I wouldn't call it either rich or flavorful. Thin and unbalanced would sum up my reaction. Obviously I'll try it again, maybe I was having an off night.

But I did have a pre-bedtime glass of PF 1901 and my faith was restored. Does it get any better than that? That's a high benchmark IMHO,

Edited by Georges Meliès

:slaps forehead:

I have to remember to consider the source.... I've been on the Internet long enough that I should know better than to believe everything I see. My bad. :(

On the other hand, that review just validated what the guy at Vert d'Absinthe told me so I wasn't looking very deeply.

From their website:

• Contenance : 70 cl
  • Alcool : 68°
  • Distillerie : Artez
  • Arôme : Herbacé
  • Couleur : verte
  • 6 ans de vieillissement

Il y a deux fois plus d'absinthe dans cette Série Spéciale 2004 que dans la recette normale : pour les amateurs de plantes et d'amertume !

Six ans de vieillissement ! Unique !

That's a lot of excitement for an absinthe that has almost nothing going on. Twice the wormwood? Herbaceous? For lovers of plantes and bitterness? Sorry: fail.

At least I "only" paid $54. But still, I could have put that money to far better use. As I said before: live and learn.

Edited by Georges Meliès