DesertWolf

What ya drinking tonight?

Had some L'Ancienne, Adnams Rouge, Absinthe Sade, and a little vintage with Green Baron and Buddhasynth night before last, and a some cocktails with Gwydion and Mrs. Stone last night. It's 10am and I'm louching up some Ridge verte as I type this. It's been a good couple days here in the Emerald City.

l.jpg

Gemain-Robin Absinthe is bizarre. Cough drops + chamomile tea + absinthe. Well made though.

Yeah, it has a strange appeal for me.

i started experimenting with a new concept... takes a bit more time than a drip to complete but is fairly fun to watch. i'll explain.

i have a automatic ice maker in my freezer. i took a cube one day and placed it into a measuring glass to see how much water was in each cube. turns out they are .5 oz. each (roughly 15ml). i prefer my absinthe at 3 oz (90ml) of water. so what i did was take 3 cubes of ice place them into my glass laid a cube of sugar on top of those and then place 3 more cubes on top of that. i then measured and poured 1 oz of absinthe (30ml) and drizzled it over the ice all around the glass.

it still louches very nicely but it takes a bit longer to complete than a drip and the sugar is obviously not completely mixed. From a server stand point i would guess i would drop a stir stick in the drink and once the absinthe has begun to melt the ice and louche, the customer could stir the drink and it would start off pretty strong with minor sips and begin to mix perfectly as the drink sat a bit longer. It does keep your absinthe much colder for an extended period of time.

just something i have been playing with. i will probably use simple syrup to replace the cube to allow a better mix of sugar in the drink.

thoughts? :D

i have kinda nick named it as an Absinthe on the rocks.

Edited by Todd

if you haven't seen Brian's water layering trick on youtube .... it is a must watch very kewl bar trick

Edited by Todd